Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 10:40:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Instruct card to wait between hashes  (Read 1470 times)
TehZomB (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 04, 2012, 10:27:32 AM

How do I do this?
I'm currently using DiabloMiner but I'm all for going for an alternative miner if I get to use this feature.

EDIT: I'm using an ATI 7970.
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LegitBit

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 04, 2012, 05:31:05 PM

I believe Guiminer (so of course its base as well) has that feature.

You use the -s flag.

Example -s0.1 should make it wait for .1 seconds between hashes. It can dramatically reduce temperatures, but also hashing power.

I think Phoenix has a similar feature.

Donate : 1EiAKUmTVtqXsaGLKQQVvLT9DDnHsT7jTZ (Block Explorer)
ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 03:12:17 AM

the f argument for diablominer is pretty much what you want. A higher number = less hashes. it's effectively the "framerate" or the target for how many times/second a certain set of nonces are hashed. Lower framerate = more nonces per run = gpu works longer. Try a high number such as 240, or even higher until you are happy with your hashrate and gpu usage.

TehZomB (OP)

Activity: 294

View Profile
May 06, 2012, 08:29:32 PM

I'm currently using Diablo. The f argument worked great, thanks ssateneth.
Any reason why you'd want to do that?  You bought the most expensive card, I say let it bleed.
Summer is quickly approaching, and I won't be mining if it means turning the AC up too far, as I'll spend more money cooling the room than I'll make.
xurious

Activity: 413

View Profile
May 08, 2012, 02:20:07 AM

Any reason why you'd want to do that?  You bought the most expensive card, I say let it bleed.
Summer is quickly approaching, and I won't be mining if it means turning the AC up too far, as I'll spend more money cooling the room than I'll make.

Exhaust the hot air out, far more efficient. Don't even need to spend more than a few bucks to do it. Otherwise (when you think about it) you are paying to heat the air up, as well as cool it down.

SiaMining.com -- First PPS SiaMining Pool! 3%, VarDiff, Stratum Support
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4438
Merit: 1794

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
May 14, 2012, 07:33:48 AM

Use cgminer ...
If the room is getting hot, tell cgminer to run cooler ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
belcat

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 09:00:03 PM

You're not making any sense.  All heat produced by the computer (and video card) has to be removed by the A/C, regardless of how little or much it's making.  Since the computer produces a certain amount regardless of how hard the card is worked, you're effectively making it less efficient to mine by doing this (although it will cost less obviously).

It would make more sense to mine when it's cool, like about midnight to 8am, since the A/C will have to work less hard.
The best solution would be to stick the computer in an un-A/C space, and fan it like crazy, since fans take way less energy.
The next best solution is to vent the computer outside; any air vented outside will be replaced by outside air (somewhere in the house) and since air from outside is very likely cooler than the computer's heat, it still makes sense.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: