Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:39:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What percentage of total circulation is lost?  (Read 353 times)
altnoob (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 01:44:57 PM

I was going through numbers for doge and their breakdown is pretty straightforward:

Block 1 -100k - 50B
Block 101k - 500k - 25B

Total circulation after block 2 is 75B

Obviously this isn't the case as there will be loss due to crashes, lost passphrases ..etc.  What percentage of 75B do you think will simply cease to exist?  I'm guesstimating 10%+ but maybe someone has already run the numbers on this.

I've seen on other posts that they believe 90% of all bitcoin is hoarded ... do you think that goes for alts as well?

If this is the case for doge and we subtract 7.5B from the top and then factor in a hoard rate of 90% that leaves us with about 7B actually being used. (assuming that hoard rates are comparable which they might not be)

I'm sure this number would then go down again for people who aren't hoarding but simply forget about it or leave it on an exchange to favor other currency...etc.

I'll take off another 1B for that leaving us with around 6B.  How many users then control the active 6B and is that enough to have it adopted by mainstream?

This actually posts a couple of questions and while I'm looking for a little incite I think I just started thinking and typing and went on a tangent 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: