Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:48:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the difference between bitcoin wallet passphrase and private key  (Read 1552 times)
Anunnthorn (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 08:47:25 AM

What is the difference between bitcoin wallet passphrase and private key? Which one is more important?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
serje
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 08:48:23 AM

You choose the pass phrase!

The private key chooses you!

Space for rent if its still trending
Anunnthorn (OP)

Activity: 4

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 09:37:37 AM

In that case if I lost my wallet file but still have the private key my bitcoins are safe?
serje
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 09:43:06 AM

In that case if I lost my wallet file but still have the private key my bitcoins are safe?

Just import you private key to another wallet ... transfer the fund to another wallet (a wallet only you accces the wallet.dat file) and your BTC are safe

Import the key to blockchain.info .... or better just swipe it then transfer everything to your local wallet

Space for rent if its still trending
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2014, 10:09:08 AM

What is the difference between bitcoin wallet passphrase and private key? Which one is more important?

The private key is needed to spend your coins, the passphrase protects the key as it is usually encrypted. In theory you dont need a passphrase for your privatekey and just store it in plaintext somewhere but that is not a goos idea, as anyone who can access your privatekey can spend your BTC.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 10:18:44 AM
Last edit: March 02, 2014, 04:15:17 PM by odolvlobo

A wallet contains one or more private key (and the associated addresses). A private key is what allows you to spend the bitcoins at that address. Many people use the term "wallet" incorrectly when they mean "address".

A wallet passphrase is simply the passphrase used to encrypt the wallet. If the wallet is not encrypted then anyone that gains access to the wallet can copy the private keys it contains and steal your bitcoins.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
verncoin

Activity: 9

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 11:18:31 AM

A wallet contains one or more private key (and the associated addresses). A private key is what allows you to spend the bitcoins at that address. Many people use the term "wallet" incorrectly when they mean "address".

A wallet passphrase is simply the passphrase used to encrypt the wallet. If the wallet is not encrypted then anyone the gains access to the wallet can copy the private keys it contains and steal your bitcoins.

Precisely.
Colin Miner

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2014, 04:59:36 PM

What is the difference between bitcoin wallet passphrase and private key?

You need a private key, but you don't need a passphrase.

Which one is more important?

The private key is the most important, without it you won't have any bitcoins.

FREE Namecoins (NMC), Devcoins (DVC) and IxCoins (iXC) while you mine Bitcoins (BTC) on the pool, in the cloud or both. Free to join, click here to Sign Up and mine your free coins.
Cheap VPS Hosting here or budget conscious Free cPanel hosting here. Buy BTC the safe and easy way at Localbitcoins.com (US and UK).
 "I'm no longer as confident as I was this morning." - xkeyscore89.  My Addie.cc.
more Free: BTC, LTC, FTC, TIPS, WDC, EAC & IFC
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 05:28:10 PM

What is the difference between bitcoin wallet passphrase and private key?
You need a private key, but you don't need a passphrase.

You do need to encrypt and backup your wallet.

Without encrypting your wallet, you also potentially won't have any bitcoins.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Domino

Activity: 662
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 06:16:31 PM

If he encrypted his wallet and all his backups, the passphrase will be just as important lol Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: