Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:31:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Safest Way To Access A Wallet...  (Read 198 times)
MikePCarr (OP)

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 10:00:58 AM

I do some bounties and airdrops... Also I have received some tokens to my wallet. But I saw some people have lost their tokens from their wallet without knowing. They told the wallets were hacked. So how to access a wallet very safe with a web browser? Also how to keep it safe?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
biofuel

Activity: 70
Merit: 2

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 10:13:24 AM

I do some bounties and airdrops... Also I have received some tokens to my wallet. But I saw some people have lost their tokens from their wallet without knowing. They told the wallets were hacked. So how to access a wallet very safe with a web browser? Also how to keep it safe?

Use a hardware wallet like Trezor https://trezor.io/ (or similar devices)
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6088

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 10:31:31 AM

Phishing attacks cannot be stopped, you should simply be more cautious and double check the URLs you are accessing.

Assuming that your PC is clean, you may want to use a desktop wallet instead.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1330

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2018, 10:39:33 AM

It would best to use hardware or desktop wallet if it's possible.
But with web wallets you should be very careful. Be sure that your device isn't infected with malware and virus. Always check URL of website to avoid phishing websites. In general, web wallets aren't safest place to keep and access coins, this is why it's not recommend to use.

Juggy777

Activity: 2646
Merit: 686

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 10:39:53 AM

Hey there's no guaranteed way to stop a phishing attack, however you can take precautions like keeping your computer clean, having a strong anti virus in place, and most important avoiding suspicious sites, and emails that are spam/scam.

However best way would be to create a electrum wallet, do not use your wallet on a public wifi, never share your seed, private key and pin with anyone else.

However if you're yet not comfortable then make a paper wallet, I personally don't like it, so use it as a last resort.
Crembrun

Activity: 70
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 10:45:13 AM

Another hardware option is the Ledger device (it also supports erc-20 tokens and bitcoin storage)
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 3830

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 12:29:30 PM

Buy a hardware wallet like the Ledger Nano S[1] or a Trezor[2] if you could afford it. This is pretty much one of the safest ways.

of if you couldn't afford it: Make sure you're always using the correct URL(myetherwallet.com/mycrypto.com). Type the URL yourself manually; not through Google search. or better, download the MyEtherWallet source code and compile it yourself.

[1] https://www.ledger.com/
[2] https://trezor.io/

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
boyptc

Activity: 2982
Merit: 677

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 12:35:16 PM

Check the spelling of the website that you are accessing your wallet.

Keep your wallets safe by not storing the private key to any online website/email/cloud storage/google spreadsheet or the same.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
MikePCarr (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 12:57:03 PM

Buy a hardware wallet like the Ledger Nano S[1] or a Trezor[2] if you could afford it. This is pretty much one of the safest ways.

of if you couldn't afford it: Make sure you're always using the correct URL(myetherwallet.com/mycrypto.com). Type the URL yourself manually; not through Google search. or better, download the MyEtherWallet source code and compile it yourself.

[1] https://www.ledger.com/
[2] https://trezor.io/

Ok sir.. Thank  you very much for advise..  Smiley
MikePCarr (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 12:59:16 PM

Hey there's no guaranteed way to stop a phishing attack, however you can take precautions like keeping your computer clean, having a strong anti virus in place, and most important avoiding suspicious sites, and emails that are spam/scam.

However best way would be to create a electrum wallet, do not use your wallet on a public wifi, never share your seed, private key and pin with anyone else.

However if you're yet not comfortable then make a paper wallet, I personally don't like it, so use it as a last resort.

Ok sir.. No I only use my private wifi connection. Thank you...
MikePCarr (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 01:01:11 PM

It would best to use hardware or desktop wallet if it's possible.
But with web wallets you should be very careful. Be sure that your device isn't infected with malware and virus. Always check URL of website to avoid phishing websites. In general, web wallets aren't safest place to keep and access coins, this is why it's not recommend to use.

I clean my PC every week. By all these replies I decided to buy a hardware wallet. Thank you sir.
MikePCarr (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 01:02:06 PM

Yes I will buy a hardware wallet. I think that is the safest way.. Thank you Smiley
pwchan001

Activity: 118
Merit: 5

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 04:59:59 PM

I think it depends on the values of the tokens you possess, if the values are high, it is better to store them in a hardware wallet. On the contrary, if the values are low, you may choose to store them in a web wallet temporarily until their values increase.

Welcome to feeless future! (https://discord.gg/tdN4ue6)
JostikSSS

Activity: 73
Merit: 8

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 06:08:38 PM

To store tokens on your computer, I recommend using the browser-based online wallet MyEtherWallet (MEW), which was created in 2015.
MEW is an open source client application executed in Javascript. Windows users can install the Chrome browser extension on their computer.
Unlike web wallets, access to it is possible only through the device on which it was installed.
Peculiar properties:
Supports cold storage and hardware wallets best wallet, the Ledger Nano's, Mist, Geth, Metamask.Using one of them, the user does not lose the ability to send and receive funds through the MyEtherWallet platform. A few services offer this combination of options. 
Buying Ethereum Gas, without It it is impossible to create special Ethereum contracts.
Authorization is possible with the help of graphic keys (QR codes). The safest way to sign in to your account is through a cold wallet.

Two-level protection.  Two-factor authentication, as an additional method of protection, is used in server applications. Since MEW is a client application, the developers have proposed another solution-encryption.  When registering a wallet, a private key is created, which is stored in an encrypted file (Keystore). You can only open it with a password. The private key gives access to the wallet, in case of loss it can not be restored. All information (key, Keystore file and its password) is stored on the owner's side. The user can refuse the second level of protection and store information in plaintext (JSON File), but the system developers strongly recommend not to do it.
The website https://www.myetherwallet.com/
r1s2g3

Activity: 742
Merit: 395

I am alive but in hibernation.

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 10:49:11 PM

By making sure that you are only putting the private keys when you need it. I will suggest to use  another device to access the wallet by using private keys that you are not using for browsing. The device you use for browsing can be used to see the balance of wallet (no private key entered, no transaction to be made.)
You can  be attacked by Trojan, phishing or browser extension viruses so avoid putting the private keys in that machine.

I am alive
chulos

Activity: 268
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 11:55:17 PM

Security. A theme that repeats itself all the time. However, it is very necessary and should be constantly accented. This is particularly so because unless people are educated about security, their cryptos may be at risk. You should beware of the fraudulent sites that look like the original - so-called phishing. Keep your private key and JSON File safe from the site - https://www.myetherwallet.com/. Bounties and airdrops should be safe for example in TREZOR or LEDGER cold wallet. That's my advice.

▂▆●● SynchrotronCoin.org - Payment solution - Airdrops live NOW!●●▆▂
jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
August 28, 2018, 02:24:44 AM

Hardware wallets are the best way, as already mentioned, but running an offline wallet is potentially just as safe. MyEtherWallet, which has also already been mentioned, can be ran locally offline. Here is their tutorial:

https://kb.myetherwallet.com/offline/running-myetherwallet-locally.html

You're going to need an air-gapped computer for this to work though.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: