Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:19:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My poloniex account got hacked. Check yours  (Read 2092 times)
silvestar
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 09:03:34 PM

Actually the hacker, first hacked my email and then sent forgot my password to all the exchanges I trade with.

Once he got the password reset, he basically sold all my altcoins to BTC and then transferred them to his wallet.

He also deleted all the email confirmations from the mail inbox.
I actually noticed the unable to login with poloniex couple of times, but since poloniex was wobbly at that time, i thought it was a server issue.

Altogether I lost around 6LTC and 0.06BTC

Thanks.

sad to hear that Sad
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
subseaguru

Activity: 560
Merit: 504

I know the voices in my head aren't real.

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 09:59:51 PM

this same thing happened on BTC-E a few months ago and no one could figure it out. im still not sure if anyone actually found out what happened. it seemed like it happened from the server end but BTC-E never admitted anything. they bypassed 2FA and confirmation emails and made withdrawls, which BTC-E said could not happen.

busoni

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

Owner of Poloniex

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 11:40:55 PM

I just saw this thread.

First of all, I really can't think of a way someone could possibly confirm withdrawals without email access. However, people who still aren't using 2FA should realize that someone with access to your account doesn't even need to withdraw to steal your money. There are some thinly traded markets on Poloniex--all they would have to do is use your funds to buy up an order book and fill some absurd order like 1 IFC for 1 LTC.

This is why there is 2FA. It really is important. All an exchange can do is offer you the option to be secure--it's up to you to use those options.

Poloniex.com - Fast crypto exchange with margin trading, advanced charts, and stop-limit orders
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: