Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:44:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BitcoinBuilder asks for ID - Would you trust them with your ID?  (Read 922 times)
btc237ftw (OP)

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 06:56:35 PM

Did you guys notice that BitcoinBuilder asks for Id for deposits and "withdraw" of BTC?
Do you think it's safe to give them such information? .... give it some thought before answering please

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rikkejohn

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 07:55:14 PM

Did you guys notice that BitcoinBuilder asks for Id for deposits and "withdraw" of BTC?
Do you think it's safe to give them such information? .... give it some thought before answering please

It's not safe, but make a judgement.

I don't believe it will try to steal your identity, though. It would be more tempting to steal the BTCs, but people know who runs it so that is probably a good motive not to try it.

Interestingly, the price is going up again.

1PkwpyTLo5TfagzCPgjdvQFNVzuEyHViGt
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 08:07:18 PM

I would trust them my ID yes the guy behind it is sincere

But why should you? I don't understand exactly what is traded at Bitcoinbuilder; Gox is down; are they now trading IOU's on IOU's?  Roll Eyes

Truth is the new hatespeech.
MrWDunne

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 08:19:29 PM

He's a random dude on the internet, I don't care what company he started.   Why on earth would you give him your SSN?   Can bitcoinbuilder even be used properly if people can't login to transfer their goxbtc to another gox account?

The ID requirement is the whole reason I stayed away.  

Annnnnddddd your goxbux are gone.

js1985

Activity: 229
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 08:38:31 PM

He's a random dude on the internet, I don't care what company he started.   Why on earth would you give him your SSN?   Can bitcoinbuilder even be used properly if people can't login to transfer their goxbtc to another gox account?

AAAAAnnnnndddd those who gave their ids will probably find themselves subjects of identity fraud.
MrWDunne

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 08:43:12 PM

AAAAAnnnnndddd those who gave their ids will probably find themselves subjects of identity fraud.
I guess I'm the only person who watermarks any ID they give to anyone.

I doubt the guy will, he made a shit ton of money from the gox trading.

btc237ftw (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 08:48:48 PM

I guess I'm the only person who watermarks any ID they give to anyone.

I doubt the guy will, he made a shit ton of money from the gox trading.

What stops him / her / them from doing both?
How would you even know? it might happen a year from now, or 5 years down the road. Someone uses your ID to buy stuff online.. open an exchange account or w/e... it's scary.
btc237ftw (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 08:49:51 PM

But why should you? I don't understand exactly what is traded at Bitcoinbuilder; Gox is down; are they now trading IOU's on IOU's?  Roll Eyes
Only GoxBTC that were depoisted before the shutdown are on the list, but yes it's IOUs basically.
rikkejohn

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 10:50:22 PM

Only GoxBTC that were depoisted before the shutdown are on the list, but yes it's IOUs basically.

As he says, so all the buy orders cannot be met unless a shed-load of offers are cancelled and people decide to sell their nothing for 0.00001 BTC.

My guess is people with enough funds think it is worth the gamble that Gox ends up paying 10% on the BTC or something. So it is worth paying 0.05 if you are inclined to look on the bright side of life.

1PkwpyTLo5TfagzCPgjdvQFNVzuEyHViGt
Torchwood

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 01:22:57 AM

Put text watermarks if you send it.
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 02:25:23 AM

i wouldn't worry about them. Allegedly they are some of the same people as dreamhost.

The site seems to be working just fine since its been up without any hiccups or shadiness.

I sent them my ID, my acount was verified within about a half hour.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: