Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:47:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vatican & Bitcoin  (Read 2340 times)
JackH (OP)

Activity: 381
Merit: 255

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 03:45:01 PM

I just wanted to let people know: http://www.cnbc.com/id/45013499

Seems like they want to implement something that is already available, aka. Bitcoin. Funny how the keep missing this important piece of information. One would think its a godly intervention  Cheesy

<helo> funny that this proposal grows the maximum block size to 8GB, and is seen as a compromise
<helo> oh, you don't like a 20x increase? well how about 8192x increase?
<JackH> lmao

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 03:48:00 PM

Oh the Vatican

They receive EACH YEAR more than 1 billion of € from Italy  Roll Eyes They don't have to pay taxes for their things all over Italy and have tons of other bonuses cause otherwise you go to hell!

And they speak about taxes?Huh?

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 11:24:00 AM

Anyone ever dropped a physical bitcoin into a Sunday collection basket?

Vatican Bank Account Closed At JP Morgan, Image May Be Hurt
 - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/19/vatican-bank-image-hurt-closed_n_1363432.html

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

anu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 01:22:11 PM

In my reading of the article, they asked for "central world bank" and other means to shift power from the 99.99% to the 0.01%. IMHO this is exactly not what Bitcoin is all about.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.
Token Sale starts 6th of February 2018
stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 01:30:51 PM

In my reading of the article, they asked for "central world bank" and other means to shift power from the 99.99% to the 0.01%. IMHO this is exactly not what Bitcoin is all about.

Isn't this one of the things the Book of Revelations mentions being a sign of the "End Times?"  Grin

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2012, 05:36:34 PM

Not 1 comment at the bottom about bitcoin... Anyone wanna register and post?  Does it make sense to?  I haven't read the whole article, but someone's post mentioned that the Vatican wanted to shift power from the 99% to the 1%?  That seems backwards...

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
anu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 06:33:46 PM

Isn't this one of the things the Book of Revelations mentions being a sign of the "End Times?"  Grin

Na, Revelations is the reason Christians are so strongly opposed to drug use. They don't want another guy write a holy book while on a bad trip.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.
Token Sale starts 6th of February 2018
Serith

Activity: 269
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 08:27:19 PM

"In fact, the crisis has revealed behaviors like selfishness, collective greed and hoarding of goods on a great scale," it said, adding that world economics needed an "ethic of solidarity" among rich and poor nations.

It called for the establishment of "a supranational authority" with worldwide scope and "universal jurisdiction" to guide economic policies and decisions.

This is not even remotely associated with bitcoin. Vatican is trying to utilize global economic crisis to gain power using same old rhetorics about union of good people in times of need.
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 09:53:03 PM

Lol, ethic of solidariety and the vatican

Vatican is rich and selfish, of course they want to focus the power in their hands. And if you don't do what they say, you go to hell

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 10:06:06 PM

This is not even remotely associated with bitcoin.

I believe it is. When an entity can disengage from the international banking system (whether involuntarily, like in this instance, or by choice) and survive, that is of interest.   I don't know the details of this particular but I would assume there remain numerous alternate channels for the Vatican yet.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 10:19:13 PM

Lol vatican surviving without banks? They HAVE a bank, they aren't simply an entity, they own a tons of buildings, lands etc etc in Italy and as i said they receive like 1 billion euro each year from Italy (no, not joking), add all the private things they have (hotels, restaurants, private schools etc etc) and you have a huge organization very rich. And with tons of reduced tax advantages cause "but it's a religious thing, why we should pay taxes?"
I suppose that god is indeed very powerful if such things happen

stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 10:34:01 PM

I suppose that god is indeed very powerful if such things happen

I can assure you there are no deities involved, just people.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 10:35:27 PM

You are right. That's the problem  Undecided

LehmanSister

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

High Desert Dweller-Where Space and Time Meet $

View Profile
March 21, 2012, 12:28:41 PM

Seems like they want to implement something that is already available, aka. Bitcoin. Funny how the keep missing this important piece of information. One would think its a godly intervention  Cheesy

Of course they wanna cut, this is standard operating procedure for Catholicism. You are aware that Gutenberg came from a family of ecclesiastic minters, right? Basically, the idea at the time, was that any gold that hadn't been "purified" by the papacy was impure and not fit for the hands of a stock sinner commoner. They had to spend lots and lots of time to come up with enough golden soul saving coin, so that they'd have a decent furni setup in heaven. It's the same game played by the SS/Treasury, video 'game' card vendors, and copyright dealers.

To summarize RAW, "How come the mob can print a higher quality dollar bill, but the US Treasury gets to wave a magic wand over theirs and make it golden? Who falls for that shit?" -- I personally believe that the US Treasury is more then excited to watch, observe, and eventually integrate any technology that proves itself. I'm somewhat surprised that they haven't issued a statement or arranged a house committee on the subject already. They get free stuff to make their job easier, BTC stakeholders will know to come to a hearing on the subject and should be more then able to handle themselves. These problems and grievances should be aired in a public forum. There will be a generic showing of 'the old guard,' who will be mocked by young representatives, and revered by the older ones; but in the end, a high quality trading system in a free market will prevail (I know I"m certainly not the judge of that, if I were, I'd be taking a 1% tax in 'indulgence fees' on all your backs).

While I do think it is important for people to be able to interact with token economics trading without endless validity concerns, and they should be able to voluntarily invest in third & fourth party authentication of their tokens, I am unsure how I'd feel about that being a major political, breeding and food bank decision maker. Not only did the printing press create massive waves of literacy across the planet (the first self replicating machine, some say); it began interstate trade as we know it. People were no longer bound to their township salvation dealers for the eucharist. This has happened many times with decent paper, and continues to this day. The biodiversity issues in the gene pool alone should have been enough to get the monotheists to stop controlling information flow (remember the plague?), but it has been shown time and time again that absolute power is nothing more then evil.

The problems associated with a Papal Bank are exactly the kinds of problem that the Treasury would be mandated to stop, so any form of relationship between BTC and the 'pope' would be completely insane here in the US; I don't give a damn about the generic religious freedom response. As is, the only critique that, I believe, the US Treasury could possibly have regarding BTC is for out of country transfers; and we do need to decide if we want to continue to regulate trade with foreign partners after 70 years of world banking. We've passed laws against product dumping, for instance. We have given the powers of weights and measures to NIST (who is always welcome to feedback, I've found). If we want BTC to remain a completely 'free' currency, we will have to re-evaluate issues like this, because we're the ones paying to give the power to regulate... It may really only be worth maintaining for 'digital type' goods, because our average (very low) literacy rate is below the threshold of understanding that they cannot actually authenticate a value to a printed good. It would be like the IRS maintaining an Art Department... Oh wait, they just did, nm.

Either way, we don't get to make any of those decisions when the only form of dispute resolution involves the use of panic from the unknown (fear of death). Or maybe God's just pissed because you memorized your privkey, made it past St. Peter, and were able to start waging your own wars on earth with Chance. It's simply never going to be a rational discussion, AND YOU'RE GOING TO HELL FOR MENTIONING IT.

ISO: small island nations with large native populations excited to pay tribute to flying gods, will trade BTC.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 21, 2012, 12:52:47 PM

I believe it is. When an entity can disengage from the international banking system (whether involuntarily, like in this instance, or by choice) and survive, that is of interest.   I don't know the details of this particular but I would assume there remain numerous alternate channels for the Vatican yet.

That's an interesting perspective.  Personally, I would tend to lean the other way.  The Vatican seems to be pushing here for a global monetary standard which would make it impossible for anyone to disengage.  To me the motivations for this are obvious.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Liberate

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Freedom is Free

View Profile
March 21, 2012, 06:31:12 PM

Fuck that shit

Will code for coins, python c#, php(+html, jss, sql) scripts can also pen testing(not a skid) PM me https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=71889.msg813212#msg813212

BTC: 1X8Uwr6vxtuudvxgPv9SqP2c6omWUC3qn
LTC: LaZ8A9YTHbNiFuhRFdCt7KNRuU2XFPXgfA
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 21, 2012, 06:36:12 PM

Why is this thread on the Bitcoin Discussion forum?  Huh
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 12:51:21 AM

the vatican has there own currency - BoyCoin.

QFT
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: