Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 12:12:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: armory secure for cold storage?  (Read 556 times)
papamoi (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 01:13:28 PM

hi guys,

after hearing all these exchanges being hacked,i would like to have the cons and pros of armory as i want to take my wallet offline

what would i need to make it and how secure is it?

THANKS
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
picobit

Activity: 547
Merit: 500

Decor in numeris

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 01:33:52 PM

Short answer:

Armory gives you excellent protection against malware on your computer, if you use an offline computer for that purpose only.  It is also a highly convenient way to have a secure wallet and still be able to access the bitcoins.

Armory gives you excellent protection against accidentally losing your bitcoins due to forgotten passwords, hardware failure, fire in the house, etc, but only if you use the paper backup option.  In particular, I recommend the N-of-M paper backup.  For example a 2-of-3, where you print three paper backups and place them in three different, reasonably secure places.  Any two of them are sufficient to recover the funds, but one alone cannot do it, so a thief getting hold of one of them will not help him.

Offline wallet setup:

* A computer with significant disk space, connected to the internet, running Armory.  This computer only has a watch-only version of the wallet.  It can generate unsigned transactions, but cannot sign them for the bitcoin network.

* An offline computer, even an old or tiny one will do, with no internet access.  It is running Armory in offline mode (needs very few resources).  This computer holds the real wallet.  It cannot generate transactions because it does not have access to the blockchain, so it does not know which bitcoins you own.  But it can sign transactions generated by the online computer.

Long answer:

https://bitcoinarmory.com/about/using-our-wallet/
papamoi (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 01:56:18 PM

Hi

i m testing the wallet now:

for sending it s asking me a transaction fee even while i ll put it at zero in the settings

anyway to solve this?
picobit

Activity: 547
Merit: 500

Decor in numeris

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:00:40 PM

If you just received or moved the coins, then a tx fee is necessary, otherwise the network will refuse to propagate the transaction.  I think the age of the coin multiplied by the size should be 1 day or something like that.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: