Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 03:38:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ETH mining: Seeking guide in English language  (Read 219 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
mdayonliner (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 420

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
September 03, 2018, 08:23:04 PM

This topic will be a self - moderated topic to prevent spamming

Lately, I am finding interest in mining (I never mined any coin), thanks to the signature campaign I am with now. I heard BTC mining is not much profitable (not sure). So, my primary goal is to mine some ETH or perhaps to start with ETH since it's a safe choice I guess. I have gone through some articles and stuffs on google, here on bitcointalk as well but to me the languages seems very difficult to pick. I have an IT background but seems like the terms they use, the language they speak is hard for me to understand.

I am looking for some beginners guide in simple English language. The language which will be understandable by everyone.

I am comfortable with Windows OS.
I have 24/7 electric supply and honestly speaking the electric cost will be very cheap for me.
I do not know what hardware setup I will need however if I get guide then I can start setting up a system.

I hope I will find some mentors here who can guide me to the right direction. Please someone accept me as your student. I promise, I will be very loyal.

Thank you in advance.

Be happy be at peace. Looking forward to BTC at $1M
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
September 03, 2018, 09:39:23 PM

Good guide with all the steps for getting started mining ETH on Windows with both AMD and Nvidia.

https://www.mining.help
mdayonliner (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 420

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
September 03, 2018, 09:49:09 PM

Good guide with all the steps for getting started mining ETH on Windows with both AMD and Nvidia.

Thank you mate. I am on it... I finished watching this video and for so far the steps are:

1. Calculating the ROI: Electricity cost and stuffs I have no idea how these terms works. I guess 1st I need to know how much electricity cost here.
2. Finding a motherboard
3. Buying some GPU: Which one should I buy?

And more possible knowledge.

Be happy be at peace. Looking forward to BTC at $1M
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3850
Merit: 8171

View Profile
September 03, 2018, 09:56:36 PM

I wouldn't even bother with a GPU anymore for ETH.  The standalone Antminer E3 is capable of 190 MH/s uses 760 Watts and costs US$1162
An RX Veg 64 GPU is going to run you over $500 $600 uses ~ 200W and puts out 33MH/s <--- as far as I know, that's the best GPU you can get.

Personally I don't like that Bitmain has started a KYC policy if you want to purchase a miner but giving them that kind of info would be up to you obviously.

With a GPU you can mine all manner of shitcoin though and I would be wary of the ETH team changing the Algo to obsolete your ETH device... so maybe a GPU is better in the long run.  With most of crypto being depressed, you might even be better off just buying some ETH rather than risking mining at a loss.  You should so some research on your own before committing.

edit: to fix GPU pricing.
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
September 03, 2018, 10:23:49 PM
Last edit: September 03, 2018, 10:38:05 PM by Vann

If all you care is about mining Ethash then the Bitmain E3 is certainly an option, however the E3 has no real advantage over GPU rigs other than a slightly lower cost/MH, which is negated by the fact ASIC's have almost no resale value. A 6 x RX 580's rig with a simple 'one click' bios mod will give you ~185 MH/s on Ethash for ~750 W with an undervolt.

Now that the price on GPU's has finally come down, you could buy 6 of these Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB cards at $209 each for $1260 together with another ~$300-400 for a motherboard, CPU, RAM, PSU and risers that would give you the same output as a Bitmain E3 on Ethash with the option to mine any other GPU minable coins, a better warranty AND be able to resell all the components to gamers.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202312

To me the E3 is only a better option for industrial miner setups looking to fill warehouses with miners. For a home miner you are better off setting up a GPU rig to mine Ethash.
zeric

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 03, 2018, 10:32:10 PM

If you choose to go down the GPU pathway rather than ASICs I would go with AMD cards. 570/580(etash) or vega 54 (monero). The 570/580 needs to be bios modded to function optimally for mining. Go to google or youtube for a guide.

I started out using Windows since I'm used to that and quite comfortable with it. However, there is a lot of issues with using windows for mining and after i switched to SMOS everything got A LOT easier. It is very easy to use and costs only 2$ a month per rig. Currently there is no support for Vega cards on it though.

For ASIC mining check out https://www.asicminervalue.com for profitability. You can put in your powercost at the very bottom.

shinharu10282016

Activity: 700
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 04, 2018, 04:27:48 AM

I think you can look it into this guide! It's really super helpful and you can also find other guides in there with other cryptocurrencies, all for free thanks to BitDegree!
https://www.bitdegree.org/tutorials/ethereum-mining/

They have some exchanges guides as well. You would want to look into new profitable coins worth mining. Goodluck mate!
0ethereum0

Activity: 70
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 04, 2018, 06:38:39 AM

Above are all the good answers already mentioned. The E3 is a efficient miner. But yeah the problem is that it comes from Bitmain.

Why you want to mine ETH ? Why not something else what is more profitable ? unless you want to created a big ETH farm I say go mine something else.
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
September 04, 2018, 07:12:40 AM

Thank you mate. I am on it... I finished watching this video and for so far the steps are:

1. Calculating the ROI: Electricity cost and stuffs I have no idea how these terms works. I guess 1st I need to know how much electricity cost here.

It would be dependent on what would GPU you would buy, the guide almost cover it all

GPU consumptions already posted by Vann for RX580

2. Finding a motherboard

the guide posted an often used boards, however if you like more to choose from this will help

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2963048.0

3. Buying some GPU: Which one should I buy?

Since you pointed out a coin to mine, ETH

AMD GPU is more advantageous however it needs a proper mod to unleash its full potential and power savings

lukeburchill

Activity: 78
Merit: 17

View Profile
September 04, 2018, 07:25:14 AM

I do not mention profit because many things can affect it.

These are hardware until now I use for mining on ETH:
  • MB Asrock Pro BTC R2
  • Processor G series
  • RAM 4GB Kingston
  • USB Riser Ver008C
  • PSUs Corsair 80+ of Gold
  • GPUs Rx Series (480,580 8GB), R9 series (290,390) are secondhands.
  • Software miners (claymore)

jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
September 05, 2018, 06:41:44 AM

AMD GPU is more advantageous however it needs a proper mod to unleash its full potential and power savings
Don't forget to explain what the "mod" is, I'm afraid mod stands for moderators  Grin.

~
Don't forget to mention what Pool is used, NH is the best friend for beginners even though sometimes I use NH if I'm lazy  Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: