Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:02:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: All these new BitCoin clones? Your opinions?  (Read 3151 times)
novalia65

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 09:12:09 PM

I am new in bitcoin but so far it does look different from other ecurrencies like egold, alertpay....People seem to have accept Bitcoin idea very warmly. Media is making echo of Bitcoin, little by little, but it hapenning. I hope this goes on

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Electricbees

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

We are bees, and we hate you.

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 10:41:36 PM

And to think I invested any of my GPU time in Solidcoin or Ixcoin... All the forks did was draw power away from BTC generation and let the difficulty eventually come down. (Which I am grateful for. Smiley  )

Donations are welcome!
1BEES19ds5gEnRBoU1qNFPfjRXe94trMG3
TheManipulator

Activity: 9

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 03:32:09 AM

I would never killed off Bitcoin. I have way too much fun with it.
terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 10:36:57 AM

I would never killed off Bitcoin. I have way too much fun with it.
Tickle me and I'll laugh.
Al-arabia

Activity: 14

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 08:12:55 PM

What about clones?

Look RuCoin - that`s same like Bitcoin, not any different .

you can mining RuCoin on pool focalway.com

to conversion of the remaining 39 units will count towards complexity reduction - capture the moment!)

you can trade RuCoin - BTC-E.com

download official RuCoin client  - https://www.rucoin.org/rucoin-setup.exe
damnek

Activity: 614
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 11:07:55 AM

I have a question for you. Can you think of any feature that a blockchain-based coin may introduce that would give it a significant edge over Bitcoin?
CAMOPEJB

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 30, 2011, 03:18:12 AM

Litecoin seems nice for CPU mining...
no premined coins is a ++
also, shorter time for confirmation of transactions Smiley
Fluttershy

Activity: 420

View Profile
October 30, 2011, 07:00:07 AM

The winner will be the one with a solid financial backing and a reliable, though I'm 100% sure it won't be solidcoin.

The destruction of those bitcoins recently may have given the price a temporary boost due to scarcity, it underlies serious problems with bitcoins themselves that could eventually bring the price back down. So, if someone could, if it's not too much trouble, design a client faster and more reliable than the standard bitcoin client, they might be able to come out ahead.

P4man

Activity: 518

View Profile
October 30, 2011, 10:47:26 AM

Litecoin seems nice for CPU mining...
no premined coins is a ++
also, shorter time for confirmation of transactions Smiley

Indeed. I dont know why people are so hostile to alternative chains (closed source implementations aside, thats obvious something you should avoid).

I like litecoin. Particularly the fast confirmations is actually a huge benefit.  No one should be under any illusions of it overtaking bitcoin, but alternative chains are great testing grounds, and hey, if bitcoin can make it to the mainstream one day, then Im sure some alternatives can too. Its trivial to exchange one currency for the other.  If its true there can only be one currency, then it will be fiat currency. I dont think its true, but time will tell

cereal7802

Activity: 57

View Profile
October 30, 2011, 11:34:26 AM

the problem with people saying bitcoin is dieing is that they are looking at it as a means of making money. bitcoin was not designed as something to be mined forever and constantly make money from it in that way. it is meant to be a means of payment for goods and services. when looking at bitcoin and saying that the price has dropped and this means its dieing, all that you are seeing is that it is making less sense to just mine and dump. the core concept of bitcoin is still there. you can still exchange your coins for money and the other way around. some places accept coins directly, and this is more what bitcoin is for.

Alt coins who spring up take people away from bitcoins, but generally these people are the ones looking to grab a bunch of coins really fast and then dump them for as much money as they can get. these tend to be people who don't really support bitcoin to start with. they are more so here to make free money.
CAMOPEJB

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 30, 2011, 03:55:41 PM

Free money?
And what about electricity? What about rigs people bought especially to "support" bitcoin?

With my NVIDIA cards my Bitcoin mining is useless but I can support Litecoin just fine with my 4+4+1+1 Cores and Ubuntu ;-)

But, the question is: When difficulty increases and its time for mining for commission how much it will be in order to preserve hashrate (ie. miners)?
robocop

Activity: 252

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 10:40:46 AM

In my opinion the GPU mining is important for the bitcoin because the influence of clustercomputer are not decisively.

So google oder some big banks could use their cluster to mine a significant part of bitcoins.
With the prefered GPU mining the supercluster don´t have the big influence.

Therefore I prefer the GPU dominating mining system and i will not support Litecoin and I think the Litecoin will fading when the bitcoin become more stability or going up again.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 06:30:13 PM

The functional equivalents of bitcoin would definitely compete with it if any of them become widely adopted. So far, none of them have been able to take much market share away from bitcoin, but it is inevitable that one or more of the alt chains will. Also inevitable though is the increasing use and demand for bitcoin and its competitor cryptocurrencies. Whether demand grows faster than supply to keep prices rising is the million bitcoin question.

There is no inevitability.  If something comes along that offers a better value to consumer or merchant then it may gain significant marketshare, maybe even co-existing or replacing bitcoin.

However Bitcoin has significant utility.  Sure adoption is nearly non-existent compared to fiat currencies but is 1000x that any alt-chain.  So the question becomes other than a hope to mine, pump, and pawn it off on the last speculator holding the bag what real value to alt-chains provide.

It may be possible that Bitcoin utility continues to improve and remains continually ahead of competitors. Look at ebay for example.  Ebay owns ~99%? of online auction marketplace.  Most people ONLY check ebay.  They don't feel disadvantages by not checking alt-bay.  The own "weakness" ebay may have is high fees but there is no reason alt-coins would have a lower fee structure than bitcoin.

Sometimes "good enough" is good enough to become the dominant standard. 
P4man

Activity: 518

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 06:50:42 PM

Well, its not like bitcoin has no issues, perceived or real. 3 spring to mind:
- slow confirmations. IMO, this was a design flaw, 10 minutes for a single confirmation makes it so much harder to use at point of sale etc.
- no built-in inflation after x years. opinions vary whether thats actually good or bad, but both opinions are popular and have valid arguments
- volatility due to excessive speculation

For all 3 issues there are alt chains or idea's how to tackle them. Idea's that may or may not succeed, mind you, but that depend on a fork and if they do succeed in overcoming them, they at least have the potential to make them more desirable than bitcoin. I think thats a good thing. I believe in competition.

So, who want to buy litecoins from me? Cheesy

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 06:57:56 PM

Agreed Bitcoin isn't perfect however my point was simply the word inevitability.  There is no inevitability that something will co-exist or replace Bitcoin.

If we could do Bitcoin all over again there are a lot of things which could be implemented all over again but to do it all over again would be scrapping all the existing structure for one that most likely would have less critical mass.

The confirmation issue is a non-issue for most transactions.  Small value transactions would be very difficult to double spend in the real world where timing attacks are far more complex.  Someone like McDonalds would likely loose far less to attempted double spends than they do everyday from CC fraud/chargebacks.
allten

Activity: 455

You Don't Bitcoin 'till You Mint Coin

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2011, 07:42:35 PM

I completely support alternate currencies and their experimentation.
I wish them luck and I do follow their developments from time to time out of curiosity.
But I don't ever see any of them making such a huge stride in decentralized crypto currency development to steal any of Bitcoin's market share.

Each flavor is spawned from someone's greed, fear, curiosity, pride and list of other emotions.
The majority of the people that invest time and money into someone else's crypto-currency shceme are usually in lottery mode.
They will mine that currency until another becomes more lucrative and then bail.

Most of my time is invested in Bitcoin and all of my fiat for crypto-currecy investing goes to Bitcoin.
All my mining hardware is dedicated to bitcoin. Not looking to become rich or make a quick buck, but I just want to add solid support to a technology that I firmly believe will continue to work for the long run. I do not gauge its success on its price - it is already a huge success. The more people that become a part of this project that realize currency is a tool not a "get rich scheme" the more successful it will be.

btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2011, 07:50:14 PM

I think we should all put our time & energy toward making bitcoin work instead of diluting the effort chasing dozens of other dreams.

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
Etlase2

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 08:05:35 PM

But I don't ever see any of them making such a huge stride in decentralized crypto currency development to steal any of Bitcoin's market share.

Eliminating the need for hashing power to secure the network might be one way.

Each flavor is spawned from someone's greed, fear, curiosity, pride and list of other emotions.

My idea is spawned from detesting the moral ambiguity of bitcoin. (see sig)

The majority of the people that invest time and money into someone else's crypto-currency shceme are usually in lottery mode.

That's because each of the "successful" forks are based on the same, pyramid-like system.

The more people that become a part of this project that realize currency is a tool not a "get rich scheme" the more successful it will be.

The problem is that it was designed this way to attract those who think they will get rich. How are you going to change it?

allten

Activity: 455

You Don't Bitcoin 'till You Mint Coin

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2011, 12:07:31 AM

Eliminating the need for hashing power to secure the network might be one way.

My idea is spawned from detesting the moral ambiguity of bitcoin. (see sig)

That's because each of the "successful" forks are based on the same, pyramid-like system.

The more people that become a part of this project that realize currency is a tool not a "get rich scheme" the more successful it will be.

The problem is that it was designed this way to attract those who think they will get rich. How are you going to change it?

Hi Comrade. I read your encoin proposals.
Good luck. Wish you the best. I really do. But I'm not the least bit interested.

The problem is that it was designed this way to attract those who think they will get rich.

Not true. Those with a lot of money did a pump and dump (not sure if it was intentional) and it attracted those that want to get rich quick.
This can only be countered in a free market by more savy Bitcoin investors that don't fall for it. Those that dump a lot of dough will be the ones that loose down the road.

How are you going to change it?
Through influence and education. Most do not have the patience for that, but the only alternatives are tyranny and force.
Etlase2

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 01, 2011, 01:22:59 AM

Not true. Those with a lot of money did a pump and dump (not sure if it was intentional) and it attracted those that want to get rich quick.
This can only be countered in a free market by more savy Bitcoin investors that don't fall for it. Those that dump a lot of dough will be the ones that loose down the road.

I really hate discussing this issue on this board. It is impossible for me to know if you are just ignorant, or just pretending to be ignorant for the sake of bitcoin. And I'm not saying ignorant as a disparaging word, just by its dictionary definition.

It is highly unlikely that anyone "pump and dumped" bitcoin. If you care to look at the block explorer, the first 32,000 blocks (1.6 million coins) were mined at a difficulty of 1 (it is 1.5millionish today). One. This is somewhere in the range of 4-10 CPUs depending on who you ask. No matter what, the cost to produce these coins was far less than even a tenth of a cent. And those are currently over 20% of the total coins ever produced. It was closer to 30% at the price height.

IF those coins had been reasonably distributed (as in, sold) during bitcoin's popularity upswing, the price would have never gotten anywhere near 30 USD. But it did. So the reality is there was a hoard and dump. And the reality is the market is so small that it took somewhere around 100-200k coins to bring the price from $30 to $3. $150 million didn't just disappear, after all, it never existed in market depth.

So if you follow reality, a great majority of these coins are still being hoarded. There is little actual commerce being done with bitcoin, and a whole hell of a lot of market manipulation as evidenced by threads on the speculation board.

Through influence and education. Most do not have the patience for that, but the only alternatives are tyranny and force.

I suggest you educate yourself before attempting to educate others. Bitcoin is a zero sum game where the small number of early adopters win massive amounts, and the massive amounts of losers lose small amounts.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: