Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:25:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FoodforthePoor.org - BTC donations now possible  (Read 1150 times)
philipmicklon (OP)

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 12:46:47 AM
Last edit: March 03, 2014, 03:05:24 AM by philipmicklon

You can now donate BTC to FoodforthePoor.org

Multi-sig address: 375DZDd18AifM2yJxqdEM7B3rZz7VQvv2s

Augusto Croppo, LaudaM and I are all signers on this multi-sig address.

Funds will be sent to FoodforthePoor.org as soon as they agree to accept bitcoin donations and post a bitcoin address on their website.

I started the donations off by donating $5 of my own money.

http://www.forbes.com/companies/food-for-the-poor/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
philipmicklon (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 01:01:05 AM

I just emailed them:

Feel free to contact them directly:
http://www.foodforthepoor.org/about/contact.html
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 01:23:42 AM

I can confirm that I've signed the address. Will send a donation soon too.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
gollum

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 01:33:19 AM

Is this a scam or real site?
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 01:35:16 AM

You mean 'foodforthepoor.org' ? You should click the forbes link about it or google it.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
philipmicklon (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 01:38:43 AM

FoodforthePoor.org is one of the biggest charities in the US.
See http://www.forbes.com/companies/food-for-the-poor/

The multi-sig address is part of my idea for incentivizing charities to accept bitcoin. All the money will be sent to FoodforthePoor.org as soon as they accept bitcoin donations. You can read our other thread here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=495549.0
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4172
Merit: 4367

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 03:09:19 AM
Last edit: March 03, 2014, 03:35:32 AM by franky1

this is why i wont donate

qote from year 2002
But Mahfood, who continues to draw $168,000 a year in severance pay, remains involved in a prison ministry for the charity, according to employees and a longtime donor.

In response to recent criticism by a former board member that the Mahfood family has too much power over the charity, the executives said Food for the Poor employs just three family members: Ferdinand's brother Robin, who took over after Ferdinand stepped down, and two others. But internal documents show at least three additional relatives on the payroll.

The charity may be too closely tied to the Mahfoods' for-profit business, Essex Exports, said charity watchdogs and government officials.

The business and the charity, both controlled by the family, share office space, a phone system and a shipping department. The charity has bought more than $172,000 of goods from Essex since 1998, according to its tax returns.

the CEO gets $168k per year. so 1998-2002= $672k over 4 years
but only bought $172k of food goods.

there were other scandals of the ceo stealing over $270k.

more recently other scandals of overpaid employee's

and then there is the fact that they promote countries to look like this:

when in actual fact it looks like:

as for the new CEO:
Robin Mahfood himself enjoyed a steady increase in pay, more than doubling his salary in six years. In 2008, he earned $364,874.
thats enough to feed 4000 people for a year.

.. hmm lets dig deeper.
ok the charities supplier of goods is owned by family (more syphoning of funds) whilst the same family members also get an income by being his PA and other internal roles. (put simply they get paid twice).

the CEO's son's inlaw got atleast $150k each per year in a quote from a 2008 article (another 2k of people not fed per year).

.. its starting to get harder to work out their other incomes from the side jobs they do as goods suppliers. but a qote of 2003 says the goods supply business netted the guy atleast $50k.

so instead of buying produce from manufacturers (at cost value) they allow the inlaws to get the stock. add on alot of wages and extra hidden costs, and then the 'charity' pays the inlaws a premium.

so when the charity says it bought x value of stock. the (at cost value) is maybe only 20% of that

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Trance

Activity: 551
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 04:10:16 AM

this is why i wont donate

qote from year 2002
But Mahfood, who continues to draw $168,000 a year in severance pay, remains involved in a prison ministry for the charity, according to employees and a longtime donor.

In response to recent criticism by a former board member that the Mahfood family has too much power over the charity, the executives said Food for the Poor employs just three family members: Ferdinand's brother Robin, who took over after Ferdinand stepped down, and two others. But internal documents show at least three additional relatives on the payroll.

The charity may be too closely tied to the Mahfoods' for-profit business, Essex Exports, said charity watchdogs and government officials.

The business and the charity, both controlled by the family, share office space, a phone system and a shipping department. The charity has bought more than $172,000 of goods from Essex since 1998, according to its tax returns.

the CEO gets $168k per year. so 1998-2002= $672k over 4 years
but only bought $172k of food goods.

there were other scandals of the ceo stealing over $270k.

more recently other scandals of overpaid employee's

and then there is the fact that they promote countries to look like this:

when in actual fact it looks like:

as for the new CEO:
Robin Mahfood himself enjoyed a steady increase in pay, more than doubling his salary in six years. In 2008, he earned $364,874.
thats enough to feed 4000 people for a year.

.. hmm lets dig deeper.
ok the charities supplier of goods is owned by family (more syphoning of funds) whilst the same family members also get an income by being his PA and other internal roles. (put simply they get paid twice).

the CEO's son's inlaw got atleast $150k each per year in a quote from a 2008 article (another 2k of people not fed per year).

.. its starting to get harder to work out their other incomes from the side jobs they do as goods suppliers. but a qote of 2003 says the goods supply business netted the guy atleast $50k.

so instead of buying produce from manufacturers (at cost value) they allow the inlaws to get the stock. add on alot of wages and extra hidden costs, and then the 'charity' pays the inlaws a premium.

so when the charity says it bought x value of stock. the (at cost value) is maybe only 20% of that

Wow! What a wake up call! Whats your BTC Address I like to donate to whistle-blowers!

Some people are so poor ALL they have is money
Trance

Activity: 551
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 04:12:21 AM

SEANS OUTPOST >>>

In my opinion, but of course thats not relevant now is it?

Some people are so poor ALL they have is money
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 04:17:09 AM

Wow! What a wake up call! Whats your BTC Address I like to donate to whistle-blowers!

i dont need donations. but i have looked into seans outpost, which is a deserving charity. so throw them a few satoshi's if you want. but definitely dont throw funds at this "food for the poor" business

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
philipmicklon (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 04:59:41 AM

Hey guys,

I don't know which charities are worth donating to, and which charities aren't worth donating to.

My goal is to push bitcoin adoption and to give bitcoiners an easy way to donate to the charity of their choice.

It doesn't really matter to me what charity we get behind, but I think bitcoin should pick a big charity and get behind them, and incentivize them to accept bitcoin.

Look over this list of the largest 50 charities and let me know which charity you think the bitcoin community could get behind: http://www.forbes.com/top-charities/
philipmicklon (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:02:16 AM

SEANS OUTPOST >>>

In my opinion, but of course thats not relevant now is it?
+1 for Sean's Outpost. Smiley I agree, they probably manage their money many times better than a billion dollar company.

I just think getting a big charity on board would be a good move.
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 05:12:37 AM

Hey guys,

I don't know which charities are worth donating to, and which charities aren't worth donating to.

My goal is to push bitcoin adoption and to give bitcoiners an easy way to donate to the charity of their choice.

It doesn't really matter to me what charity we get behind, but I think bitcoin should pick a big charity and get behind them, and incentivize them to accept bitcoin.

Look over this list of the largest 50 charities and let me know which charity you think the bitcoin community could get behind: http://www.forbes.com/top-charities/

Adoption is my goal too Grin

Rather than doing a charity of sorts, I'm trying to price my goods to be reasonable and simply get the people noticing and wondering "what's that?" or "hey look its bitcoin!" 

kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 07:22:19 AM

is this a charity for mtgox victims? shit, we'll all be poor and without a pot to piss in once our personal information is stolen from the exchanges and fraudulant bank accounts are established under our names by some of those fine gentlemen living in the Ukraine.

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 02:07:25 PM

I personally prefer giving money to the ones in need directly.

My profession has allowed me to get familiar with many of these "organizations",
and let me tell you that they ARE ALL STEALING YOUR MONEY and pretending to do something good.

These people should be locked up in jail together with rapists.

That should give them an idea of what is like being screwed.

remotemass
Legendary

Activity: 1115
Merit: 1016

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 01:47:43 PM

I personally prefer giving money to the ones in need directly.

This.

Inventor of: "Conic-Upward-Jet-Thrust 𝕊ℙ𝔸ℂ𝔼 𝔼𝕃𝔼𝕍𝔸𝕋𝕆ℝ" https://archive.is/Ouxdl ¦¦ Monetize pics of in/out cash (with GPS metatag on and timestamp captions) ¦¦ archive.is/OMUJQ ¦¦ bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5362345
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 02:04:04 PM

the top 50 charities have directors on hundreds of thousand of $$ per year, with thousands of employee's all paid higher then the average retailer.
the majority of campaigns spend millions on advertising and pay fundraisers alot of money.

i think none of the top 50 charities deserve bitcoin donations.

we need to get people like seans outpost. people on the front line, actually helping people. not organisations that sit in offices doing million $ campaigns to hit their targets and get bonuses.

if you want a better list of deserving groups, maybe watch the series "the secret millionaire" which shows millionaires going out into the real world and interacting with front line services.. t then give them money because they see the actual impact 'local' charity has on individuals.

id prefer to donate to 50 'local' charities, then 1 corporate organisation

bitvestor

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 05:10:42 PM

This will be a better idea, instead of hosting all this conferences and seminars and what not more, we should actually have some people from here fly to the country affected like Africa, Asia etc, buy food water and help build tents with bitcoin T-shirts on and more, this will actually boost our presence and we very sure our funds is not going to be sitting in some already rich dudes pockets.. We can build tents/shelters, buy/get food, water, get gens for those without electricity, even build small schools/hosipitals for the unprivileged  and charge less, a  big hall for people to sleep and more..

This idea will be awesome than donating to some rich dude who send 20% of  your donation.
Well if you need this i just said actualised let me know i can do the running around and working too, i love kids and want them to have a better opportunity growing up..
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 05:12:32 PM

the top 50 charities have directors on hundreds of thousand of $$ per year, with thousands of employee's all paid higher then the average retailer.
the majority of campaigns spend millions on advertising and pay fundraisers alot of money.

i think none of the top 50 charities deserve bitcoin donations.

we need to get people like seans outpost. people on the front line, actually helping people. not organisations that sit in offices doing million $ campaigns to hit their targets and get bonuses.

if you want a better list of deserving groups, maybe watch the series "the secret millionaire" which shows millionaires going out into the real world and interacting with front line services.. t then give them money because they see the actual impact 'local' charity has on individuals.

id prefer to donate to 50 'local' charities, then 1 corporate organisation
In that case, find and list charities that are actually doing their work as we speak. Then OP can change the list.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: