Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:09:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Armory Client showing zero balance after crash and rebuild  (Read 2792 times)
-pANIC- (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 06:21:00 PM
Last edit: March 04, 2014, 06:56:22 PM by -pANIC-

TL;DR: Armory incorrectly showing 0.00 balance when there is money in the wallet.  How to resolve?

=========

My Armory client wouldn't startup correctly and kept crashing: https://i.imgur.com/EkGOhuq.png
So I deleted the following files from the databases\leveldb_blkdata\ folder and restarted the client:

CURRENT
LOCK
LOG
LOG.old
MANIFEST-019725

It scanned and rebuilt the databases but then instead of showing the full balance for my BTC address only showed the most recent inbound transaction according to https://blockchain.info. My wallet is new, as in the last 2 months.  So even though it scans the blockchain for transactions related to my BTC address Armory is somehow not doing so correctly.  I repeated the steps above and now it shows a zero balance across all addresses.  Seems to me that this software is hugely buggy and can't be relied upon.

Thing's I've done to troubleshoot:
- Rescan databases
- Rebuild & Rescan databases
- Re-downloaded & reinstalled Armory client
- Started Armory client in offline mode and 'revert all settings'

Now ever since 'reverting all settings' the Armory client consistently crashes every time it scans the transaction history.
Deleting everything, including the blockchain, and starting from scratch is really something I'd like to avoid, considering the heavy amount of bandwidth and time required to do so.

Anybody have any ideas?  I have a paper wallet backup.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
WordenPond

Activity: 1

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 08:29:49 PM

There is an outstanding issue (that I am dealing with too) around wallets with a large number of transactions in it.  It is supposed to be fixed in .91  I am unable to access the funds in my wallet at this time because of this bug. 
-pANIC- (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 08:52:18 PM

There should be only 3 transactions in my wallet as it's new.  Does the bug extend to a small # of transactions too?

Any word on when the latest release will be made available?
-pANIC- (OP)

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 05:11:32 AM

I tried redoing this, un-installing and then re-installing the client.  Also tried deleting all the block files and letting Armory rebuild everything.
It's still showing a 0.00 balance for my bitcoin address.

How can Armory scan the entire blockchain and not find *any* transactions related to my address?  It's using the Bitcoind blockchain as reference to build it's own blocks from so what is going on here?  Isn't this the entire point of the blockchain, a public ledger of *all* transactions!
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 10:50:29 PM

Have you restored your wallet from a backup?

Have you tried the test builds for the new version?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=56424.msg5285727#msg5285727

-pANIC- (OP)

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:02:46 AM

I'm in the process of getting Armory running on a second machine I have here and with which I'll restore a backup of the wallet but that's going to take hours as it's downloading the blockchain. 
I tried the latest beta on my main machine and it crashes on startup.

Hopefully the second machine works out better.
-pANIC- (OP)

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 07:03:52 AM

After 9 hours of syncing the blockchain on the second machine, Armory stopped working at about 40% and reported "armoryengine.pyc:11297 - Error: System error: Database corrupted"
I don't even know what to say at this point.  How can a completely separate machine, clean and void of *any* Bitcoin software, result in this with Armory?    Is there something fundamentally wrong with Armory that is causing these perpetual issues?

I will now try this on a third machine and wait another 12 hours.  
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:00:45 PM

After 9 hours of syncing the blockchain on the second machine, Armory stopped working at about 40% and reported "armoryengine.pyc:11297 - Error: System error: Database corrupted"
I don't even know what to say at this point.  How can a completely separate machine, clean and void of *any* Bitcoin software, result in this with Armory?    Is there something fundamentally wrong with Armory that is causing these perpetual issues?

I will now try this on a third machine and wait another 12 hours.  

Is this with the testing build?

-pANIC- (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 05:02:48 PM

Is this with the testing build?

Yes, I used the testing build on a 3rd machine I have here and that failed after about 12 hours with this: https://i.imgur.com/d7zL3Tt.png
I have a laptop here (second machine referenced above) that was originally installed with the 0.90-beta which kept failing so I tried using the 0.90-99 beta you mentioned and it also fails.

So this is occurring on 3 completely separate systems with completely different hardware, all running Windows 7 x64.  

The steps I followed:

1) Downloaded the Armory software from the main site.
2) Ran Armory installation but it complains about not seeing the Bitcoin installation so after clicking the 'auto-install' button to only be prompted that auto-install doesn't work I manually downloaded and installed Bitcoin 0.8.6, upon installation completion I closed Bitcoin and then loaded up Armory.  (If Bitcoin had created any uncomplete blockchain files at this point I also deleted those so that Armory could initiate that process through bitcoind)
3) Skipped the creation / importation of a wallet.
4) Left the software to download the blockchain. (after 4 tries that's about 60GB's, my ISP will loooooove me!)
5) At some point during the night it crashes.  

Unless the process I'm following is inherently wrong I would say that the software is incredibly buggy.  
What are your thoughts on this, have I lost my BTC?  Let's be honest.  Nothing I've tried seems to work and I think I've tried just about everything *that should work*.  IF so, this questions the integrity of the software and will most likely result in people not using the software.
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 08:27:45 PM

You are building the DB without a wallet loaded? This part still needs debugging. Put your wallet in there and try building the DB from scratch with the testing build

-pANIC- (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 10:50:54 PM

You are building the DB without a wallet loaded? This part still needs debugging. Put your wallet in there and try building the DB from scratch with the testing build

I tried both methods, on one system without the wallet and on another with the wallet.  Both with the same results.  Also tried both methods using the two versions, 0.90 and 0.90-99.
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 02:22:25 AM

You're left with the last solution of trying to sync Armory with a brand new wallet. Your current situations strongly indicates that the outputs listed in your wallet somehow get Armory to hang. I have ran across one of these wallets recently. As far as getting your BTC out of your wallet, you can start Armory in offline mode and extract your private key list to import elsewhere.

The silent majority of our users run Armory without issues. You fall in the few very difficult cases that take Murphy's law to an extreme. Your first step in helping us debug this is to try and isolate the bug as much as possible. Reproducing it at will would be best.

As for the stability of Armory, the current release (0.90) came with an entirely new database system to keep track of the blockchain, obviously there are some very hard to find bugs that only cater to a tiny minority of users. These bugs are scarce and convoluted enough that it makes tracking them very complicated.

Hopefully the next release (coming soon) will have our latest batch of bug fixes incorporated. Best case scenario, it fixes your situation, worst case scenario, we will have narrowed down the possible candidates.

Few users do this, but if you were willing to send us a watching only copy of the wallet you can't get Armory to sync with, it could go a long way identifying the issue. You can email it to support@bitcoinarmory.com, make sure to mention this thread and ask directly for me. If you'd prefer encrypting the email, we can set something up.

-pANIC- (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:25:43 AM

You're left with the last solution of trying to sync Armory with a brand new wallet. Your current situations strongly indicates that the outputs listed in your wallet somehow get Armory to hang. I have ran across one of these wallets recently. As far as getting your BTC out of your wallet, you can start Armory in offline mode and extract your private key list to import elsewhere.

The silent majority of our users run Armory without issues. You fall in the few very difficult cases that take Murphy's law to an extreme. Your first step in helping us debug this is to try and isolate the bug as much as possible. Reproducing it at will would be best.

As for the stability of Armory, the current release (0.90) came with an entirely new database system to keep track of the blockchain, obviously there are some very hard to find bugs that only cater to a tiny minority of users. These bugs are scarce and convoluted enough that it makes tracking them very complicated.

Hopefully the next release (coming soon) will have our latest batch of bug fixes incorporated. Best case scenario, it fixes your situation, worst case scenario, we will have narrowed down the possible candidates.

Few users do this, but if you were willing to send us a watching only copy of the wallet you can't get Armory to sync with, it could go a long way identifying the issue. You can email it to support@bitcoinarmory.com, make sure to mention this thread and ask directly for me. If you'd prefer encrypting the email, we can set something up.

I understand and I'll gladly help where I can.  I'll try export the key list next.  Let's leave the watching only wallet as a last resort.
I'm attempting to get Armory running under Ubuntu 13.10 x86 at the moment so I'll update this thread in a couple of hours with status.
-pANIC- (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 08:06:15 PM

Under Ubuntu 13.10 x86 I was able to get everything working.  Pity about Windows :\
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: