Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:35:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why not get rid of online exchanges? Seems like it is time for a game changer!  (Read 1108 times)
coinits (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 07:07:02 PM

After the Mt Gox theft, Instawallet theft, and other BTC thefts, why doesn't the braintrust on here develop a new client for doing peer-to-peer exchanges? The client could have the ability to handle multiple cyrptos and people could do trades without using a third party service that can jack their coins.

The devs could get a fee from coin developers to list their coin and buyers and sellers could each pay a small fee to maintain the network and put a few coins in the devs pockets. There could be a built in escrow feature, optional insurance, rating system based on successful trades, as confirmed by the blockchain.

Talk about a revolution. If I had the skills, I would do it, but alas I do not.

I do know that there are enough gurus on here to make it happen.

So what do you think?

Mt Gox set btc back, the next big theft will do the same.

Get er done!

Jump you fuckers! | The thing about smart motherfuckers is they sound like crazy motherfuckers to dumb motherfuckers. | My sig space for rent for 0.01 btc per week.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
waxwing

Activity: 469
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 07:49:03 PM

Probably the most discussed (serious) topic on here.

Notice how you are fudging the issue (as almost everyone seems to): peer to peer exchange of crypto/crypto vs peer to peer exchange of crypto/fiat.

The latter is the real problem (although I'm not saying the first one is particularly easy).

PGP fingerprint 2B6FC204D9BF332D062B 461A141001A1AF77F20B (use email to contact)
coinits (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 07:53:39 PM

Notice how you are fudging the issue (as almost everyone seems to): peer to peer exchange of crypto/crypto vs peer to peer exchange of crypto/fiat.

The latter is the real problem (although I'm not saying the first one is particularly easy).

Why bother with fiat? It is a doomed experiment. The banksters had their day now it is time for them and their puppet politicians to get out of the way because of a new revolution.

People who keep comparing crypto to fiat in terms of worth just don't get it.

Jump you fuckers! | The thing about smart motherfuckers is they sound like crazy motherfuckers to dumb motherfuckers. | My sig space for rent for 0.01 btc per week.
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 07:55:06 PM

Why bother with fiat? It is a doomed experiment. The banksters had their day now it is time for them and their puppet politicians to get out of the way because of a new revolution.

If you don't use fiat, what are you exchanging?  Bitcoins for...? 

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
coinits (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 08:05:01 PM

And I am not fudging anything. And yes it is easy to do. How do I know? A lot of websites are already doing it. Creating wallet addresses for each crypto to do a transaction. Your response is pretty damn lame and defeatist.

coinits (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 08:17:41 PM

What? Are you serious?

For goods and services, and if you must have a physical store of wealth gold and silver.

Fiat is nothing more than modern day slavery. It is time for it to go the way of the dinosaur. They print it out of thin air with no finite level. With every dollar created $1.05 is owed to the banksters, thus ensuring debt slavery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu_VqX6J93k

milk

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 02:12:40 AM

Ban banks ! doesnt work, damn  Grin
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 04:23:02 AM

That's fine if you are selling webhosting, or anything else that has little real cost.
If you sell your car or house, then you need to know some idea what BTC is worth vs the $

LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:02:51 PM

What? Are you serious?

For goods and services, and if you must have a physical store of wealth gold and silver.

Fiat is nothing more than modern day slavery. It is time for it to go the way of the dinosaur. They print it out of thin air with no finite level. With every dollar created $1.05 is owed to the banksters, thus ensuring debt slavery.

I think there's some confusion over "exchange" here. Generally when people say "exchange" in relation to Bitcoin (or other commodities/financial instruments/currencies etc) they mean a service that allows parties to trade - e.g. an FX exchange allows parties to trade, say, GBP for USD, a commodities exchange allows JPY for gold, USD for oil, etc. The exchange acts as an intermediary between the two parties. MtGox, btc-e and BitStamp are all exhanges, LocalBitcoins is an "over-the-counter" (OTC) platform (no exchange, one party deals directly with the other party, with LocalBitcoins providing little more than an advertising-and-escrow service). (I'm wildly generalising here, but you should get the idea).

@CurbsideProphet - the above notwithstanding, alt coins!

Random comment: I've *never* bought BTC on an exchange. I've traded on exchanges before (I was really bad at it, as I was when I tried FX trading before BTC trading) but actual purchases of BTC have all been OTC - either through bitcointalk or LocalBitcoins. I'm not sure I'd change this, particularly after watching MtGox slow demise.

This space intentionally left blank.
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 06:19:51 PM

What? Are you serious?

Stop being obtuse, it's pretty obvious you still need fiat at this point in Bitcoin's life cycle.  Bitcoin is generated through the mining process, which also keeps the network integrity in tact, all of which costs electricity.  Last I checked, the major electric companies are not accepting Bitcoin as payment so you're still going to have to use fiat.  A pure goods/services to Bitcoin economy would be very small in scale.  Insignificant.

Same with gold, how are you going to get that gold?  Pan for it?  Mow someone's lawn for gold?  You can use Bitcoin as a MEDIUM OF EXCHANGE, but what does that have to do with eliminating the exchanges?  Nothing.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: