Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:15:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin stolen from coinbase  (Read 7568 times)
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3214

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 04:28:45 PM

I had my coins stolen from coinbase. support has not been very helpful. Has anyone had similar experience ?
It didn't happen to me but it happened to a friend.

There has been a Coinbase phishing campaign going on over the last few weeks. Did you recently get an email reporting that an amount of bitcoins were transferred out of your coinbase account?

It was a phishing email.

If you clicked on the link in the email and logged into Coinbase, then you gave the scammer access to your account. If you have API access enabled, then the scammer can bypass 2FA and log in when you aren't around.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
el_Tico

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

"Fly you fools"

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 05:06:34 PM

Thanks for the warning about phishing.

I feel like coinbase is relatively safe but not as secure as other options. Been using coinbase for about 3 months with no problems.
BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 05:11:31 PM

Thank you all. As explained earlier I have a strong pw 2fa auth and use same machine
that I use for all my bank transactions( I have never lost a penny at the bank)
In a space of one minute there were three ransactions on my account
one was flagged as fraudulent (by coinbase). One is still pending and the coins are still
missing
Clearly it is suspect that the transactions that happened within that minute are also
Fraudulent. All I assure you this is coinbase issue. Please do not keep your coins with them
Since this happened I have come accross other posts that shows problems with coin base.
I have tried to contact them- no lock. I have left my phone nos with them no one is calling me back
What are they hiding? If any one knows how I canreach them please post.

Do you use the coinbase app on your phone ?  What about receiving or not receiving a sms ,  if not then go to your phone provider and get the records.  Also what was the account the coins were sent to.

I agree with others that theres a lot missing.

The natural reaction is to blame others and think nothing could go wrong on your end.  But the safe thing to do is to ask yourself these questions like are you using a smartphone, do you use the coinbase app, was an sms ever sent, did you contact your phone provider. etc etc.  What bitcoin address were the funds sent to and have you done research on that address ? 

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 05:21:06 PM

Two factor authentication is a must!  Yes, it definitely is inconvenient, but will save you in the end.
Password + SMS Verification + IP Address whitelisting.

BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 05:23:58 PM

I had my coins stolen from coinbase. support has not been very helpful. Has anyone had similar experience ?
It didn't happen to me but it happened to a friend.

There has been a Coinbase phishing campaign going on over the last few weeks. Did you recently get an email reporting that an amount of bitcoins were transferred out of your coinbase account?

It was a phishing email.

If you clicked on the link in the email and logged into Coinbase, then you gave the scammer access to your account. If you have API access enabled, then the scammer can bypass 2FA and log in when you aren't around.

Very good point. 

I've noticed a few people accidently temporarily turn off 2fa for 30 days without realizing it. And yes it's true a phising scam has been going on recently.

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
successquik

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 12:18:28 AM

Cheeseater:  Thanks for the heads up on the "activities" summary.   Good to see that all my CB Logins are from my IP.

Good thing for all CB users to check that now and again.

SQ
adeojo (OP)

Activity: 13

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 12:42:19 AM

Thanks all for your concern.

As indicated earlier I has strong pw and 2FA. I have checked my history and confirm that I used the 'original site'

2 out of 3 transactions that happened within a minute were flagged by coinbase as 'high risk' and cancelled. The only transaction that was succesful is the transfer of my coins. Why is  that all the transaction within the 1 min was not cancelled ?

As for support, I have not got much help. Has any one ever spoken to a person at coinbase ? Has anyone had any of their support call back when requested ? I understand this is a young company, however they are dealing with people's money. if they are not up to it they should not be in the game. I have used several online services over many years and not once have I been a victim phishing. Someone mention coinbaise.com (I am aware of the site as fake)

If any of you have any coins with coinbase, PLEASE remove them. Since this happened to me, I have seen several other people with bad experience with CB. For a start check out http://coinbasefraud.com/

Please do not discount my warning, Nuff said
KJO

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 12:53:50 AM

I had the same thing happen to me last month and eventually realized it was my fault. I had created my account and purchased one coin to use for a group buy. When I received the notification from coinbase that it was available I went to the site and logged in, submitted the 2FA code and nothing happened. When I finally logged in I watched as my coin went off to Russia. Long story short, checked my browser history and realized I was phished, Coinbaise.com. I clicked on a Bing ad and never looked at the URL entered my password and 2FA and kissed my coin goodbye.
There is a way to look at who has accessed your account add "activites" after you log in and you can see other log ins. Live and learn.

OH my word. I am really sorry man. It makes me sick to hear about treachery like this.

KJO

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 12:57:51 AM

Thanks all for your concern.

As indicated earlier I has strong pw and 2FA. I have checked my history and confirm that I used the 'original site'

2 out of 3 transactions that happened within a minute were flagged by coinbase as 'high risk' and cancelled. The only transaction that was succesful is the transfer of my coins. Why is  that all the transaction within the 1 min was not cancelled ?

As for support, I have not got much help. Has any one ever spoken to a person at coinbase ? Has anyone had any of their support call back when requested ? I understand this is a young company, however they are dealing with people's money. if they are not up to it they should not be in the game. I have used several online services over many years and not once have I been a victim phishing. Someone mention coinbaise.com (I am aware of the site as fake)

If any of you have any coins with coinbase, PLEASE remove them. Since this happened to me, I have seen several other people with bad experience with CB. For a start check out http://coinbasefraud.com/

Please do not discount my warning, Nuff said

How did coinbase send the coins if you never got the phone call/SMS to verify?

I feel sick to my stomach after reading your terrible experience.

I had thought they were the only safe btc purchasing site but this makes me nervous as hell.

Cheeseater

Activity: 351

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 02:23:43 AM

Very easy if you are not paying attentionhttp://coinbaise.com/ this comes up as an ad above coinbase

And yes it was totally my fault for not paying attention. After speaking with customer service they showed me how to lock my IP to the account and a few other tricks to keeping safe. Only wish they advertised them before my mishap. I still use them and bear them no ill will. My fault 100% but I'm still pissed I rolled so easily Shocked
adeojo (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 02:34:43 AM

As indicated in my previous post I am aware of http://coinbaise.com/
2 out of 3 transactions that happened within a minute were considered high risk by coin base and cancelled ? why was the transfer of coins not cancelled.
I have sent them several email via the support email (that they hide behind). I have requested they call me so this can be resolved, Ihave requested that they let me have a phone nos where I can reach them. What have they got to hide ?

Some more reason to stay away from coinbase

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Coinbase/San-Francisco-California-94104/Coinbase-Beware-of-Coinbase-San-Francisco-California-1119189
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=147341.0
http://bitkoins.com/discussion/6379/coinbase-com-is-a-scam-stay-away-people/p1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X65V6rJnoN4

if anyone knows a phone contact or email of anyone at coinbase I will be interested.
I never want this to happen to anyone else.
Mr. Socko

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2014, 01:04:11 PM

We should organize a collective effort to find the identity of the owner of coinbaise.com and give him some major hassle. Get reddit in on this if needed. What say you?

Everything I've read suggests coinbase is one of the better ones and there hasn't been major issues this year with it.. all your posts link to 9-12 month old stuff... there are growing pains when you see huge influx of new people on exchanges but things have stablized the last month or three allowing these services to hopefully improve their servers, etc.
adeojo (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 02:24:15 PM

All, we should ask the question, why is coinbase (the supposedly safe and secure wallet) having this problems
I have used online banking for years (with very simple pw and NO 2FA auth) I have never had a cent missing.
How are banks/online services doing it that they have no phishing attacks ?
Coinbase prides itself as safe and secure. People please ask your self, are they really ?

Coinbase is NOT safe. They are NOT responsible. So far they have failed to address my issue. There is no phone nos to call, neither is anyone from coinbase calling customers to resolve problems. Why is that ?

Please stay away from coinbase and spread the word
redwraith

Activity: 188
Merit: 102

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 03:03:48 PM

All, we should ask the question, why is coinbase (the supposedly safe and secure wallet) having this problems
I have used online banking for years (with very simple pw and NO 2FA auth) I have never had a cent missing.
Coinbase prides itself as safe and secure. People please ask your self, are they really ?

Coinbase is NOT safe. They are NOT responsible. So far they have failed to address my issue. There is no phone nos to call, neither is anyone from coinbase calling customers to resolve problems. Why is that ?

You are clearly pushing an agenda... Multiple repetetive posts mainly saying the same thing, instead of trying to get the problem solved, you're larger message seems to be to "stay away from coinbase and spread the world" or "PLEASE pull your coins out and tell all your friends".  It indeed smells fishy.
adeojo (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 06:56:38 PM

I am the victim. The only people that can solve the problem (coinbase) have refused.

My agenda is to prevent this from happening to other people.
Until coinbase fix their systems, start behaving like a responsible organization - stay away
adeojo (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 02:29:16 PM

Those that accused me of an agenda, what have to say about this
http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/7/5386222/a-string-of-thefts-hit-coinbase-bitcoins-most-reputable-wallet-service

Coinbase itself has confirmed security issues (albeit blaming most on phishing attacks) .
Some victim was refunded, only to have coins stolen again.

http://www.coindesk.com/coinbase-security-concerns-amid-theft-reports/

Is this another Mt Gox in the making ?

KJO

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 06:39:17 PM

Those that accused me of an agenda, what have to say about this
http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/7/5386222/a-string-of-thefts-hit-coinbase-bitcoins-most-reputable-wallet-service

Coinbase itself has confirmed security issues (albeit blaming most on phishing attacks) .
Some victim was refunded, only to have coins stolen again.

http://www.coindesk.com/coinbase-security-concerns-amid-theft-reports/

Is this another Mt Gox in the making ?

I found the IP list for my coinbase logins and there is definitely something strange going on. I found an IP from Thailand had accessed my account. I think the 2FA saved my ass.
alfabitcoin

Activity: 476

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 11:16:41 AM

What kind of bank does not use at least token or tan table? I really doubt that you have online banking what use only one password.
Loozik

Activity: 378

Born to chew bubble gum and kick ass

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 07:44:26 AM
Last edit: March 03, 2014, 08:13:11 AM by Loozik

Can you identify this transaction (bitcoin stolen from you) on blockchain.info?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: