Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:01:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why the Ukrainian crisis is bullish for BTC  (Read 1857 times)
Oblodo (OP)

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 01:36:36 PM

Today the Russian central bank raised its interest to 7%, from 5.5% and the RTS index fell 12% yesterday. The west threatening to enforce economical boycotts against Russians, will have them looking for other ways of keeping their assets safe... enter BTC.

Just a thought..
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 02:27:52 PM

why not, this is what bitcoin is here for
ErisDiscordia
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163

Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 02:41:06 PM

Sad to say I think it will take multiple crises just like this one to get most people to learn about and use BTC. But yeah, cheap, fast and secure transactions aside, this is exactly where BTC really shines - wealth preservation in unfavorable financial regimes.

It's all bullshit. But bullshit makes the flowers grow and that's beautiful.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:17:20 PM

There is another reason

http://www.afp.com/en/news/topstories/crisis-hit-ukraine-slaps-1000-euro-limit-bank-withdrawals

Crisis-hit Ukraine slaps 1,000-euro limit on bank withdrawals

Bitcoin users not affected  Cheesy

It seems using bitcoin is becoming more and more advantageous  Cheesy

Mythul

Activity: 644
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:19:32 PM

OMG this is huge news ! But I am scared about the situation in Ukraine.
kkaspar

Activity: 140

banned but not broken

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 05:32:02 PM

Well, if you aren't able to withdraw more then 1000€ a day from a bank, then you won't be able to withdraw more then 1000€ from bitstamp as well. There can be same trade based on localbitcoins and cash, but I think that this won't be significant.
I think that main gain to the bitcoin community from Ukraine is the amount of media coverage Ukraine is getting. When everyones attention is directed towards the situation in Ukraine, then there is no time to talk about how people lost their money investing in bitcoin.
drsnuggles

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 07:55:05 PM

Well, if you aren't able to withdraw more then 1000€ a day from a bank, then you won't be able to withdraw more then 1000€ from bitstamp as well. There can be same trade based on localbitcoins and cash, but I think that this won't be significant.
I think that main gain to the bitcoin community from Ukraine is the amount of media coverage Ukraine is getting. When everyones attention is directed towards the situation in Ukraine, then there is no time to talk about how people lost their money investing in bitcoin.
Bitstamp is located in Slovenia, not Ukraine, so they remain unaffected by the Ukrainian withdraw limit.
kkaspar

banned but not broken

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 07:57:32 PM

Bitstamp is located in Slovenia, not Ukraine, so they remain unaffected by the Ukrainian withdraw limit.

And you are withdrawing money from bitstamp through mail sent cash or through your bank account? Smiley
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 3990
Merit: 4449

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 08:07:32 PM

why not, this is what bitcoin is here for

What? It's not solely for speculation and "technical" analysis?

LOL  Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 08:09:55 PM

Well, if you aren't able to withdraw more then 1000€ a day from a bank, then you won't be able to withdraw more then 1000€ from bitstamp as well.

Irrelevant. BTC has no physical cash form so being able to "withdraw" it in that sense from a legacy bank is impossible. However, so many vendors accept BTC in some form or another, in addition to their being localbitcoins and similar avenues, it is clearly superior to cash which can be withdrawal-limited by a government at whim. The government would have to enact far more draconian rules to limit electronic cash spending (i.e. you can't spend more than .5 BTC at tigerdirect or coinfueled per day... lol.)

cosmofly

Activity: 532

PrimeDAO - An Adoption Engine for Open Finance

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 08:53:03 PM

Can't wait for world war 3

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2014, 08:54:39 PM

War is good for BusinessBitcoin.

Can't wait for world war 3

Can't wait for the whackjobs who are seriously afraid of that.
kkaspar

banned but not broken

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:46:34 PM

Well, if you aren't able to withdraw more then 1000€ a day from a bank, then you won't be able to withdraw more then 1000€ from bitstamp as well.

Irrelevant. BTC has no physical cash form so being able to "withdraw" it in that sense from a legacy bank is impossible. However, so many vendors accept BTC in some form or another, in addition to their being localbitcoins and similar avenues, it is clearly superior to cash which can be withdrawal-limited by a government at whim. The government would have to enact far more draconian rules to limit electronic cash spending (i.e. you can't spend more than .5 BTC at tigerdirect or coinfueled per day... lol.)

Travel to Ukraine and try to live a month while using only BTC. Then decide how irrelevant it is.
People have done these tests in more developed countries and found it very very hard. 99,9% of Ukrainans will probably start to make fun of you, when you try to offer them bitcoins to pay your rent, bills or just get something at the convenience store.

Most of the cultists here can't understand how dependent bitcoin is to the $. Bitcoin has a childish fixed coin supply, so it needs fiat to give it value. That is the reason why stores aren't accepting bitcoins without bitpay. There is very little use of an volatile and unpredictable currency without the support of fiat.
pungopete468

Activity: 1470
Merit: 504

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:19:36 PM

Of course it's tied to fiat. Fiat also used to be tied to gold...

It's a logical procession of things. One day it might not be tied to fiat; time will tell...

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
exocytosis

Activity: 476

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:30:00 PM

Travel to Ukraine and try to live a month while using only BTC. Then decide how irrelevant it is.
People have done these tests in more developed countries and found it very very hard. 99,9% of Ukrainans will probably start to make fun of you, when you try to offer them bitcoins to pay your rent, bills or just get something at the convenience store.

Most of the cultists here can't understand how dependent bitcoin is to the $. Bitcoin has a childish fixed coin supply, so it needs fiat to give it value. That is the reason why stores aren't accepting bitcoins without bitpay. There is very little use of an volatile and unpredictable currency without the support of fiat.

Quoted for truth. I've been trying to explain this to people, but you did it far more eloquently.

MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 01:06:14 AM

Yeah.

I was going to reply something along those lines but the sheer exercise in futility of it all bored me into not completing my post.

As a means of everyday payment, it is fucking rubbish.

As a means of moderately wealthy people from crisis hit nations/economies, getting their capital into an ultra transportable form without necessarily having access to international finance. It is the perfect fit. A temporary fit for most perhaps, but temporary is better than the chances of watching all your capital turn into empty government promises as the geo-political games of NATO and Putin wipe the floor with the Ukrainian economy.

I don't understand the full implications of how it makes sense to Ukrainians....perhaps they fear their currency will collapse? But this must be the reason why Bitcoin has done what it has done today. Mentalists like rpietila may claim that this all fits in perfectly with his exponential growth mean curve, but up until 6.30 am GMT, All technicals were pointing towards Bitcoin taking another nose dive. Instead, this X-Factor came into play and blew all the TA out the water. Not even the bulls promoting their flimsy inverse head n shoulders formation could have predicted this.

I have said many times that I believe that Bitcoin was actually developed by the NSA as a financial weapon of mass destruction and I think these kind of events demonstrates exactly the uses that a reasonably liquid Bitcoin market could have in undermining the economies of nations whose resources and strategic potential the US and it's NATO bum buddies are interested in having a piece of.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
kkaspar

banned but not broken

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 01:27:45 AM

Yeah.

I was going to reply something along those lines but the sheer exercise in futility of it all bored me into not completing my post.

As a means of everyday payment, it is fucking rubbish.

As a means of moderately wealthy people from crisis hit nations/economies, getting their capital into an ultra transportable form without necessarily having access to international finance. It is the perfect fit. A temporary fit for most perhaps, but temporary is better than the chances of watching all your capital turn into empty government promises as the geo-political games of NATO and Putin wipe the floor with the Ukrainian economy.

I don't understand the full implications of how it makes sense to Ukrainians....perhaps they fear their currency will collapse? But this must be the reason why Bitcoin has done what it has done today. Mentalists like rpietila may claim that this all fits in perfectly with his exponential growth mean curve, but up until 6.30 am GMT, All technicals were pointing towards Bitcoin taking another nose dive. Instead, this X-Factor came into play and blew all the TA out the water. Not even the bulls promoting their flimsy inverse head n shoulders formation could have predicted this.

I have said many times that I believe that Bitcoin was actually developed by the NSA as a financial weapon of mass destruction and I think these kind of events demonstrates exactly the uses that a reasonably liquid Bitcoin market could have in undermining the economies of nations whose resources and strategic potential the US and it's NATO bum buddies are interested in having a piece of.

I doubt that todays pump had much to do with Ukraine.
There is a 1000€ per day bank withdrawal limit, but that's just to avoid bank runs. You can still exchange to other fiat or make international bank transfers. It wouldn't be exactly a smart choice to go from 1 fragile currency to another just as fragile or more.
My guess goes that it's some outsider investment group that decided to copy Fortress, so they made a high risk bet and bought a planned amount of coins. Todays rise was caused by one entity who was rather careless about buying coins. You could often see pumps like these during the China boom. Pumps that are ok with buying coins in a short period and creating a drastic rise. Buys like these are made by people who are not interesting in hanging around at the bitcoin market for a long time. They only come to buy a determined amount, that was agreed upon by the board of directors.
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 01:40:52 AM

Re: Bitcoin infrastructure, and "relevance" of cash withdrawal limits' effect on exchange payouts -
There are services to pay bills with bitcoin. Services to buy gas. Order-placing services to buy anything on the internet. Thousands of online vendors. Services to order food, even.
Yes, it is less accessible in a country like Ukraine, but Ukraine isn't exactly a third world country either so don't give me that bullshit. Maybe 2 years ago, experiments in "living on bitcoin" in developed countries was very difficult, but now it's incredibly easy in most areas. For the last year I've bought 75% of my food and gas without touching USD, and it's not been inconvenient or difficult in the slightest. Examine your misconceptions. 50% of my electronics and auto parts. That the stores touch it is not my concern. I am no "cultist," lol, I'm as straightedge as they come, but I appreciate the humour.

MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 01:45:03 AM

I doubt that todays pump had much to do with Ukraine.
There is a 1000€ per day bank withdrawal limit, but that's just to avoid bank runs. You can still exchange to other fiat or make international bank transfers. It wouldn't be exactly a smart choice to go from 1 fragile currency to another just as fragile or more.
My guess goes that it's some outsider investment group that decided to copy Fortress, so they made a high risk bet and bought a planned amount of coins. Todays rise was caused by one entity who was rather careless about buying coins. You could often see pumps like these during the China boom. Pumps that are ok with buying coins in a short period and creating a drastic rise. Buys like these are made by people who are not interesting in hanging around at the bitcoin market for a long time. They only come to buy a determined amount, that was agreed upon by the board of directors.

Well fingers crossed they are back tomorrow.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
af_newbie
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1468

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 01:46:09 AM

As a means of moderately wealthy people from crisis hit nations/economies, getting their capital into an ultra transportable form without necessarily having access to international finance...

+1

Try to leave such a country with a suitcase full of gold bars.  Micro SD card is a better option.  

For the paranoid types, embed/obscure your encrypted wallet in any picture or pdf file and email it to anywhere.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: