Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:05:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Copper membership  (Read 524 times)
jenia2

Activity: 70
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 31, 2018, 06:19:49 PM

What I do know is that there have been 0 accounts recovered in the last Ca. 1 year?
Do you?

plus why would he check my post history? activity? and timezone? yo are saying only "selected" members are now entitled for recovery? lol.
ip logs are also redundant imo. and NoI do not think they check all that- infact they check NOTHING a big NOTHING Smiley
I'm saying that theymos claimed that he does a lot more than verifying a signed message and that he has limited time. It doesn't matter if you believe or not. End of the story.

end of story for you maybe, not for me.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
pugman
Legendary

Activity: 2383
Merit: 1551

dogs are cute.

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2018, 10:55:57 PM

end of story for you maybe, not for me.
Alrighty, here's something you don't know.

LTU_btc got his account recovered in November within 4 days. Refer here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2419748.msg24907492#msg24907492

Bitcoinbazaar.net aka premium_domainer also got his account recovered this year. Refer here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2721567.msg27843795#msg27843795

So your accusation of 0 accounts being restored this past calender year is no longer alive.

Account recoveries are headache, it may not seem like it, but it is a big one. One reason why:

IP logs can be easily checked. Its literally a single button: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=help;page=profile#admins

Sometimes the issue is that, the Bitcoin address that is staked, its private key is sold along with the account. If the old account holder used a VPN/TOR and the new account holder also does the same,then investigation becomes complicated.

Now theymos's statement on account recovery:

maybe theymos and cyrus should just take a day or two out of every month to investigate and restore them.

It would take at least a couple hours every day to deal with them. Each case typically requires a lot of follow-up. And it's really annoying work. I used to do them sort-of regularly, but at some point I just couldn't stand it anymore, in addition to not really having time. Cyrus is still doing some, though not enough to keep up.

There's no need for any fee, and a fee probably wouldn't be appropriate unless absolutely necessary. Money is not a problem. If I could throw $100k at the problem and make it go away, I would do so. But in the real world, there is no magic wishing well where you can throw money and make things happen. You give people money and they don't do what you want, or the people you hire turn out not to be trustworthy, or you fill out the tax forms wrong and then later have to spend more time&money dealing with that than you would've by just doing the thing with current sub-optimal resources, etc.

I acknowledge that the current situation is very bad, and we have some plans for fixing it. I hope to have manual account reviews going smoothly again before the end of the year at the latest.

theymos mentioned before about hiring someone with a business degree or something to run the forum

Yes, this would be very useful. I hate that I'm basically acting as a CEO here. I hate dealing with lawyers and accountants, or figuring out who to hire. This stuff is not my wheelhouse, and is in fact not even on my ship. I wish that someone would take all of that business-related stuff off my hands. But it looks like that's the one aspect which is most difficult to (safely) get rid of, so I've been trying (with only a bit of success) to delegate in other areas.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: