Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:25:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Asic miner cube powers on but powers off 2 sec after :/ HELP WTB cube as well  (Read 1275 times)
jeppe (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 06:02:54 PM
Last edit: March 08, 2014, 06:18:54 PM by jeppe

Hi,
I have a asic miner cube and have tried 3 different power supplies and the cube powers up for ~2-3 sec then shuts off again (runs for 2 sec with fan spinning then shuts of and makes a click noise)
The psu then dose not respond for some time. After waiting a bit the psu can power back on but crashes again after the 2 sec window, this repeats again and again.
I have tried to turn it on without the fuse inserted and the fan spines up and dos not crash.
I have read some where that some psu's have load protection, but i think this is not the problem as i have tried with different psu's.
What am i doing wrong
The Main psu I was planing to use was the x-viper 750 watt but dont know why its not working like it should :/
Thanks,
JT

Edit:
Got everything working with a converted server psu!! now have 2 cubes running 38 gh Smiley
Im interested in buying some, so send me a PM if u are selling !!
Thanks,
JT
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 06:43:35 PM

Power supply.  You need to buy a real PSU.  Viper sounds like some crap Chinese junk that's probably outputting more like 300W than the rated 750W.
cloverme
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1054

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2014, 07:47:20 PM

It's the power supply, lots of people have this issue with the cubes. Specifically, the 12V rail has to be capable of delivering at least 17A.  Save yourself some trouble, pick up a Thermaltake 850w which delivers 69A on the 12v rail.
fractalbc

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 07:53:13 PM

It's the power supply, lots of people have this issue with the cubes. Specifically, the 12V rail has to be capable of delivering at least 17A.  Save yourself some trouble, pick up a Thermaltake 850w which delivers 69A on the 12v rail.

Yup!  Absolutely.

Go spend 150 dollars to get your cube to run.  That will work.

Alternately you can spend 40 dollars (after rebate) and get a right-sized supply that will work.

I won't say it is "impossible" to buy a single rail supply with two 6 or 6+2 pcie power plugs from a reputable brand name that won't run a cube, but I have never seen one.  The keys being "single rail" and "has the pcie power plugs" with a HUGE bonus for 80+ rated.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153172 is one 40 dollar choice if you are fond of Thermaltake.  Buy one for each cube and send me half the money you saved by buying multiple right-sized supplies instead of one freekingely expensive huge supply.  Either that or take the money you saved and buy your SO a nice meal.
jeppe (OP)

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 07:57:30 PM

Yup!  Absolutely.

Go spend 150 dollars to get your cube to run.  That will work.

Alternately you can spend 40 dollars (after rebate) and get a right-sized supply that will work.

I won't say it is "impossible" to buy a single rail supply with two 6 or 6+2 pcie power plugs from a reputable brand name that won't run a cube, but I have never seen one.  The keys being "single rail" and "has the pcie power plugs" with a HUGE bonus for 80+ rated.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153172 is one 40 dollar choice if you are fond of Thermaltake.  Buy one for each cube and send me half the money you saved by buying multiple right-sized supplies instead of one freekingely expensive huge supply.  Either that or take the money you saved and buy your SO a nice meal.
I might go for that psu, but for now i have bought a used dell 670 watt psu single rail that i will covert to run the cube. should be able to run two cubes.
ionux

Activity: 140

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 08:31:57 PM

I've always used Corsair CX750's to power these and never had a problem.

CoinPrice.US - Current market prices in a clean, ad-free interface.  API available for adding Bitcoin prices to your site!  |  Escrow service: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=502569.0  |  Reputation thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=494163  |  Public key: http://coinprice.us/public_key.txt  |  URL shortener project: http://10b.us  Cheesy
HellDiverUK

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 09:03:37 PM

I've always used Corsair CX750's to power these and never had a problem.

Ironically, my Cube never, ever worked with my CX750.  It worked OK with a cheap OCZ 600W until the Cube killed it.  I also got the Cube to work with a 850W PSU out of a Dell workstation, until the Cube nuked that too. 
cloverme
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1054

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 01:54:15 AM

When I was using cubes for my farm, I had also problems with an XFX 850 model P1850BBEFX, so I'd add that to the problem PS list.
jeppe (OP)

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 02:38:04 PM

Got the dell server power supply and connector, just need to solder everything together and see if it works Smiley
Gonna update here with some pics later!!
BryanK

Activity: 812
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 02:58:31 PM

One thing that I realized when I had a crappy PSU is that If i reset the PSU and powered the cubes up again, it would work. Might take a couple resets but it eventually worked. Thats the short term fix, Long term, go buy a nice new PSU if you plan on mining :O)
jeppe (OP)

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 05:08:20 PM

One thing that I realized when I had a crappy PSU is that If i reset the PSU and powered the cubes up again, it would work. Might take a couple resets but it eventually worked. Thats the short term fix, Long term, go buy a nice new PSU if you plan on mining :O)
how manny times did u try ?? i tried 4 times and no life :/
ionux

Activity: 140

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2014, 02:11:33 PM

Have you tried taking your cube apart, tightening all heatsink screws and inspected for missing/broken parts?  You can't just take these devices out of the box and plug them in.  The quality control is horrible and I've never had one that wasn't pretty much in pieces when it arrived...  Undecided

CoinPrice.US - Current market prices in a clean, ad-free interface.  API available for adding Bitcoin prices to your site!  |  Escrow service: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=502569.0  |  Reputation thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=494163  |  Public key: http://coinprice.us/public_key.txt  |  URL shortener project: http://10b.us  Cheesy
IamCANADIAN013

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:00:17 AM

Have you tried taking your cube apart, tightening all heatsink screws and inspected for missing/broken parts?  You can't just take these devices out of the box and plug them in.  The quality control is horrible and I've never had one that wasn't pretty much in pieces when it arrived...  Undecided

I had the same experience.  I opened the box and a couple screw fell on the floor.  None of the cards were in their slots either.  Apparently they vibrate out during shipping, I call b.s. on that. They are just slapped together as far as I'm concerned.

Im using a corsair CX500to power my cube without issues.  I hear that it doesn't work for some cubes.  I wonder if that has to do with the power source feeding the PSU? I know a lot of electronics that don't work nearly as well with an extension cord, or when there are multiple splitters on an outlet. I wonder if the psu's work the same?

I keep mine plugged into a power bar plugged into the wall, nothing else runs of the power bar or the outlet.
HellDiverUK

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:36:29 AM

None of the cards were in their slots either.  Apparently they vibrate out during shipping, I call b.s. on that. They are just slapped together as far as I'm concerned.

If you look at the Cube, the cards are held in those slots by the bottom board.  The bottom board is already sagging with the weight of the cards, so being dropped a few times between China and wherever you are, then the cards are obviously going to fall out.
bitcoiner49er

Activity: 457
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 02:57:40 PM

You can also try to add some capacitors in-line as the AMP draw when the cube powers up is quite high and can trip the power "protection" on certain PSU's. 32V 2200uF worked for mine.

Homo doctus is se semper divitias habet
jeppe (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:19:11 PM

You can also try to add some capacitors in-line as the AMP draw when the cube powers up is quite high and can trip the power "protection" on certain PSU's. 32V 2200uF worked for mine.
Ahh good idea, havent tried that !! will try Smiley
But atm im using an old dell server psu converted to work with the cubes runs perfectly and is easy to make and only costs a few £20 to make!!!
jeppe (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:23:35 PM

Have you tried taking your cube apart, tightening all heatsink screws and inspected for missing/broken parts?  You can't just take these devices out of the box and plug them in.  The quality control is horrible and I've never had one that wasn't pretty much in pieces when it arrived...  Undecided
Yeah i have done that and the first thing that happens is that a screw fals out :/
all the screws were lose Huh?
So i fastend all of them again!!
But i wonder is there any thermal past between the heat sink and the chips ?? The heatsink was moving freely :/
If not, puting some good qualety past on there would make them run sooo much smother !!
Thanks,
JT
jeppe (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:56:37 PM

I took the heat sinks apart and there is no thermal past in between. However, there is a small plastic mat of some kind. Is this effective in cooling ??
IamCANADIAN013

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:09:17 PM

None of the cards were in their slots either.  Apparently they vibrate out during shipping, I call b.s. on that. They are just slapped together as far as I'm concerned.

If you look at the Cube, the cards are held in those slots by the bottom board.  The bottom board is already sagging with the weight of the cards, so being dropped a few times between China and wherever you are, then the cards are obviously going to fall out.

I have to admit when I took it apart, I didn't really pay that close attention to that part. I was so much more concerned about sliding it out and back in without dropping or breaking anything.  You would think they could have come up with a better way to support the bottom board.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: