Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:19:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: We survived the Goxxing.  Now what?
BTC to the moon! - 55 (69.6%)
BTC to the toilet - 4 (5.1%)
Too early, Karpeles still buying Frappacinos - 20 (25.3%)
Total Voters: 79

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it safe to say we survived the Goxxing?  (Read 1934 times)
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:13:38 AM

I still baffles my mind how people in their right mind would dare to store that much on an exchange..
The first thing I learned in bitcoin after 30 minutes of researching was to store your own coins offline.

To store them online just wasn't enough, I mean if you just insisted to store your coins online, you could choose bitstamp/blockchain, even btc-e.. But an exchange with $5m seized by DHS, $50m class action lawsuit AND 22 months withdrawal time..

How is that not screaming red flags?

People are stupid.
To my defence: I was uninformed, which is not the same as stupid.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Malin Keshar

Activity: 616

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:38:11 AM

When bitcoin goes back to 1000 I would say we recovered. This pump can also be related with the Ukranian situation, people looking for other investiments other than fiat. Gold also valued in last weeks.
rohnearner

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

REAL-EYES || REAL-IZE || REAL-LIES||

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 09:25:28 AM

When bitcoin goes back to 1000 I would say we recovered. This pump can also be related with the Ukranian situation, people looking for other investiments other than fiat. Gold also valued in last weeks.
1000 i guess we will have to wait few more weeks for that or may be Months. but we will eventually get there as i don't see any reason for that not happening if this goxx shock can't take it down to ground nothing else can.

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 09:34:24 AM

It's too early. We still don't know what actually HAPPENED at Gox. If ~800K BTC were lost in cold storage as in, Mark fudged the private keys- then yes we are safe. Severely restricted supply, but still- we are safe. If some individual STOLE 800K of BTC then I'm not so sure.

more or less retired.
atc1

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 09:56:20 AM

It's too early. We still don't know what actually HAPPENED at Gox. If ~800K BTC were lost in cold storage as in, Mark fudged the private keys- then yes we are safe. Severely restricted supply, but still- we are safe. If some individual STOLE 800K of BTC then I'm not so sure.

Yeah,let's see how this whole thing stabilizes.

freebit13

Activity: 616

I got Satoshi's avatar!

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 09:59:27 AM

I still baffles my mind how people in their right mind would dare to store that much on an exchange..
The first thing I learned in bitcoin after 30 minutes of researching was to store your own coins offline.

To store them online just wasn't enough, I mean if you just insisted to store your coins online, you could choose bitstamp/blockchain, even btc-e.. But an exchange with $5m seized by DHS, $50m class action lawsuit AND 22 months withdrawal time..

People are stupid.
No offence, but many won't understand that because in today's world of the interweb it's very easy to inform yourself. Many might see that not informing yourself when it's so easy to do, is a form of stupidity... especially when investing such large amounts as some have... again: no offense intended.

It's nice to see the price climbing, time to buy!

Decentralize EVERYTHING!
turvarya

Activity: 714

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 10:59:28 AM

People are stupid.
No offence, but many won't understand that because in today's world of the interweb it's very easy to inform yourself. Many might see that not informing yourself when it's so easy to do, is a form of stupidity... especially when investing such large amounts as some have... again: no offense intended.

It's nice to see the price climbing, time to buy!
Never start a sentence with "No offence, but", same to "I am not a racist, but" Wink
It is not stupidity it is laziness, also 2 different things.

I am using BTC for less than a year now, so every bad News about MtGox was before that. People forget to easy, that not everyone is an early Adapter, even when they are not really early Adapters themselfes, just earlier than the People, they are judging. But sure, on the interweb, everybody finds someone, who is less informed on a field, than oneself -->People they can call stupid.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
EvilPanda

Activity: 658

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 11:25:16 AM

1000 i guess we will have to wait few more weeks for that or may be Months. but we will eventually get there as i don't see any reason for that not happening if this goxx shock can't take it down to ground nothing else can.
Why 1000? There was a normal correction from $1000 to ~800, which was the stable price for almost a month, until the Gox situation. We'd probably be somewhere between $800 and December high if Gox didn't turn out to be the biggest scam in the history of bitcoin.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: