Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:15:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestions for cooling / air circulating fans?  (Read 1392 times)
amazingrando (OP)

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 08:54:07 PM

The ambient temperature around my open air rigs is fairly cool, but the air in the rack (5 shelves of 3 rigs each) isn't circulating well so the cards are running hotter than I want.

I could buy a big industrial fan but I'd rather have something more direct.  20" box fans would span more than one self and are a possibility.  Ideally, I would like an 8-10 inch fan for each rig to ensure the best circulation.  Any ideas on a cheap compact fan?  I'm thinking something in the $5 range.

Bitbond - 105% PPS mining bond - mining payouts without buying hardware

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 09:34:08 PM
Last edit: October 26, 2011, 09:53:42 PM by sadpandatech

The ambient temperature around my open air rigs is fairly cool, but the air in the rack (5 shelves of 3 rigs each) isn't circulating well so the cards are running hotter than I want.

I could buy a big industrial fan but I'd rather have something more direct.  20" box fans would span more than one self and are a possibility.  Ideally, I would like an 8-10 inch fan for each rig to ensure the best circulation.  Any ideas on a cheap compact fan?  I'm thinking something in the $5 range.

This would run you about $10 per fan and has temp display; http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Pro-PFN41-Cooling-Temperature-Display/dp/B00387OV84   Dimensions: 19'' x 4.3'' x 1.7''

But, what size are your racks and what type enclosure so we know what will fit them?

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
amazingrando (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 09:52:03 PM

I could buy a big industrial fan but I'd rather have something more direct.  20" box fans would span more than one self and are a possibility.  Ideally, I would like an 8-10 inch fan for each rig to ensure the best circulation.  Any ideas on a cheap compact fan?  I'm thinking something in the $5 range.

Thid would run you about $10 per fan and has temp display; http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Pro-PFN41-Cooling-Temperature-Display/dp/B00387OV84   Dimensions: 19'' x 4.3'' x 1.7''

But, what size are your racks and what type enclosure so we know what will fit them?

Thanks sad panda.  I took a look at the link to the fan thing on Amazon.  I think I might need something wider.  Also, the reviews are pretty bad Sad

The rack is an open air shelf 48" W by 24" D.  Between each shelf is about 12" high.  Here's a (blurry) picture of one of the racks.

sadpandatech

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 09:54:43 PM

Thid would run you about $10 per fan and has temp display; http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Pro-PFN41-Cooling-Temperature-Display/dp/B00387OV84   Dimensions: 19'' x 4.3'' x 1.7''

Thanks sad panda.  I took a look at the link to the fan thing on Amazon.  I think I might need something wider.  Also, the reviews are pretty bad Sad

The rack is an open air shelf 48" W by 24" D.  Between each shelf is about 12" high.  Here's a (blurry) picture of one of the racks.

God that's Hot!!! literally.. sexy too. =)

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

sadpandatech

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 10:17:57 PM

I've got a few ideas I will toss around with you when I return from work again... Will just edit here.

I am also curious to know any others ideas you have, as well as the large fan one. 20" fan for 2 shelves and possibly smaller one for remaining shelf is what you had in mind so far?

- GA

deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2011, 10:25:42 PM

I would move the shelves of the rack together as close as they can go while still fitting the rigs in there, turn all the rigs 90 degrees, block off the long front and back of the racks with cardboard or such, and zip tie two or three big box fans to the side to blow air through the shelves and through the cards.
amazingrando (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 10:34:20 PM

I've got a few ideas I will toss around with you when I return from work again... Will just edit here.

I am also curious to know any others ideas you have, as well as the large fan one. 20" fan for 2 shelves and possibly smaller one for remaining shelf is what you had in mind so far?

Great.  I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Current ideas:

1)Get one 80 or 120mm fan behind each GPU to blow fresh air directly on/into the GPU (each does about 20-25 CFM).  That would be 4 per rig, or about 60 per fully loaded rack.  I can get them on ebay for about $2.50 each, so somewhere around $10 per machine.  Not sure about power, but I would think it's around 4 watts each, or ~240W for the whole rack.

2) Little Honeywell 9" fans.  ~$14 each with tax.  I would use one per rig.  Puts out about 180CFM, which is double the 120mm fans, but it's more diffuse.  Not sure about power draw.
http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances-Heating-Cooling-Air-Quality-Portable-Fans/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbv6f/R-202182997/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

3) 20" box fans.  Somehow stack two wide by two tall.  Then maybe the little Honeywell one's for the top rack?

amazingrando (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 10:41:17 PM

I would move the shelves of the rack together as close as they can go while still fitting the rigs in there, turn all the rigs 90 degrees, block off the long front and back of the racks with cardboard or such, and zip tie two or three big box fans to the side to blow air through the shelves and through the cards.

I like the out of the box thinking.  The problem with that (other than the easily flammable cardboard next to all those hot electronics) is that you end up with something like the Human Centipede.  The first rig gets nice clean air. The ones behind it have to eat the output of the one in front.

likuidxd

Activity: 476

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 03:55:26 AM

Looking at your picture I'm guessing that's and overhead door behind your rack. If it is and this room is air controlled, turn that rack around. The unit for circulating air is probably behind you and the intakes on these cards are on the back. Your blowing hot air towards the ac unit which is pushing it back to the cards circulating the 'dirty' air back into the cards. Just a theory and idea.

amazingrando (OP)

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 04:05:03 AM

Looking at your picture I'm guessing that's and overhead door behind your rack. If it is and this room is air controlled, turn that rack around. The unit for circulating air is probably behind you and the intakes on these cards are on the back. Your blowing hot air towards the ac unit which is pushing it back to the cards circulating the 'dirty' air back into the cards. Just a theory and idea.

Good suggestion, but the air handler is actually overhead and blows down.  What I really need is a raised floor!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: