Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 02:53:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I Lost Everything From Mt.Gox's Bankruptcy  (Read 2521 times)
rhino34567

Activity: 288
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 12:20:15 AM

Let me start by saying I'm sorry that this happened to you.
Let me finish by saying, it is your own fault.
This. I'm sorry for you, but you did bring it upon yourself.

Malin Keshar

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 01:07:06 AM

I entered the bitcoin world in 24 december 2013, almost sent my coins to gox when they are $200+ above market, but didn't when I learned that wire tranfer's tax are high and people are complaining about withdraws taking months or not happening at all. Your history almost was my story, except the house, children and the 20 year job.
kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 05:31:25 PM

some of you make me sick. it's easy to look back and call people out as reckless for entrusting mtgox with their money (i saw the warning signs, and was repeatedly called out for spreading FUD on the topic), and if this is true, then OP is surely beating himself up over ignoring those red flags. He doesn't need any of you to remind him.

But to blame the victim here is just sickening. Losing money on an investment is nobody's fault but the investor. However, having your money stolen is a crime. I worry about the future feasibility of a currency if the community answer to such high profile thefts is simply, "well, you should have known better. it's your own fault." just... wow.

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 05:51:11 PM

Well this just goes to show DONT put all your savings in 1 asset in 1 place.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2014, 07:25:09 PM

Well this just goes to show DONT put all your savings in 1 asset in 1 place.
Mistake number 1 in regards to Mt.Gox.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
crypto33

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 07:34:22 PM

Mt Gox were one of the worst things to happen to cryptos. Nevertheless now that they are gone it adds legitimacy to this new exciting technology that allows lesser tech savy people an entry into crypto-currencies. Lets move forward, add accountability to Bitcoin and other coins and forget that Mt Gox ever existed.    
tekke
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 08:04:00 PM

Sadly you just learned the hard way. Don't keep all your eggs in one basket.
cosmofly

Activity: 532
Merit: 100

PrimeDAO - An Adoption Engine for Open Finance

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 09:07:27 PM

Fake

TheFootMan

Activity: 490

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 09:16:00 PM

To begin this, I'm a 59 year old dad of 4 wonderful children(3 boys 1 daughter). I worked as a Firefighter for more than 20 years, and for he last few, I've been a Janitor in a high school in South Carolina. About a year ago I discovered Bitcoin, after hearing about it on the News one day, and from that moment I became hooked on this radical new thing. Where I can store my money because as many of you here are, I'm worriesome of the price of the Dollar eventually crashing and naturally worried of the U.S Government as well(Though I don't oppose Governments entirely) In December of 2013, I exchanged most of my 401k(My retirement fund) as well as most of my savings, into Bitcoin. That was over $400,000 or around 600 Bitcoin at the time. I believed Bitcoin was the future of all currencies and was set to replace the U.S Dollar following it's inevitable crash. As a IDIOT(I'm punching myself with my left hand as I type)
     I kept most of my Bitcoins in Mt.Gox, hoping to sell them off at a high price and then buy them again at a low price, buy low, sell high. What I didn't know, was that 750,000 Bitcoins were stolen from Mt.Mt. Gox(I'm guessing mine is among those), and even when Mt.Gox halted withdrawals, I remained optimistic that everything would be resolved soon, as Mt.Gox went through previous issues before and everything turned out fine. What I didn't know was that Mt. Gox would go bankrupt, the day I read that the exchange fell was the day I cried like never before. I still haven't told my wife or children, I'm too embarrassed. My retirement is out the window, My life is out the window.

Out of sheer desperation have I posted this, Thank you so much.

My Bitcoin Address: *Removed by moderation team*
"Yes I do have a house, a wife, and kids. For most of my life I've saved up that money, and then in a few days it was gone."

What kind of lowlifes do these kind of scams?
FalconFly

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Sentinel

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 09:36:59 PM

Typical beggars...
There's a whole "free sh*t army" out there trying to figure out the best location & story for holding out their hands.

Since this is the prime Bitcoin forum on the planet - there's easy money to be made with little effort.

This forum signature is like its owner - it can't be bought
HorseCoin

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 09:38:48 PM

i've never even had a girlfriend/wife.  bastard
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2014, 10:45:52 PM

i've never even had a girlfriend/wife.  bastard
Never had a girlfriend?
How old are you?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
nottm28

Activity: 574

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 10:51:43 PM

It is really unfortunate but world was never fair. I lost all my money too and I don't think that people will help you or me. They rather rob us from more, suck already poor people more and more. Nobody cares about others. That is the law of this world - if you are unfortunate, you gonna die alone.

I care about others - not all people are bad my friend. I read the entire thread and decided I only wanted to reply to just your post. You will die alone if you do f*ck all to help anyone else. If you try, then you are in with a chance. What's a few bitcoins. Good luck!

donations not accepted
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 10:55:10 PM

some of you make me sick. it's easy to look back and call people out as reckless for entrusting mtgox with their money (i saw the warning signs, and was repeatedly called out for spreading FUD on the topic), and if this is true, then OP is surely beating himself up over ignoring those red flags. He doesn't need any of you to remind him.

But to blame the victim here is just sickening. Losing money on an investment is nobody's fault but the investor. However, having your money stolen is a crime. I worry about the future feasibility of a currency if the community answer to such high profile thefts is simply, "well, you should have known better. it's your own fault." just... wow.

+1.

This thread seems about as empathetic as an aspergers convention.
Dafar
Legendary

Activity: 1330

dafar consulting

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 10:57:06 PM

Sorry for your loss, that really sucks if you are telling the truth. But I really think either Mark K. is going to jail for this or the BTC will be recovered... if neither happens then something is fucked up.

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
E.exchanger

Activity: 714

NEED CRYPTO CODER? COIN DEVELOPER? PM US FOR HELP!

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 02:44:42 PM

LOL after the whole gox incident this might be the 70th post of the same kind and from a newbie having 2-6 post count asking for donations giving out their wallet address to send in. Iam sure no one is going to send a penny without any reason behind. Iam not being harsh on anyone i know people have lost their money but iam just being true. Smiley
BitCoinsLOL

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 08:07:06 PM

This is total B.S. please ban begging newbies with fake sympathy stories.

I never thought my life could be. Anything but catastrophe. But suddenly I begin to see. A "BIT" of good luck for me. Cause I've got a golden ticket!
johnniewalker
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 08:36:04 PM

First of all, if this really happened to you I'm sorry. But I REALLY expect you're a n00b trying to mooch some coins, I'm glad the mods removed your address (regardless I guess I am-I don't like cyber-begging...we're all in need). Firefighters have a very healthy pension upon retirement-why did you need to get a job as a janitor. Furthermore, you knew the risk you were taking-haven't you heard not to put all your eggs in one basket. FINALLY, since you did, wouldn't you have looked into the safest way to store ALL of your money, as you claim? Using MtGox as a wallet is about the dumbest thing you could have done. Since you had so much at stake why were you not compelled to make sure that you were protected?
mrhelpful
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 09:43:30 PM

Damn talk about not diversifying your investment. If your story is real, then I feel for you.

The question is what now? Outside from sharing the story, maybe you can do a similar story like holding up a QR code at X games. The college kid who did that raised several thousands of dollars for college I think.

As for people sharing no sympathy on this forum, that just shows part of humanity is dead.
Dafar
Legendary

Activity: 1330

dafar consulting

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 09:56:31 PM

As for people sharing no sympathy on this forum, that just shows part of humanity is dead.

I think people are more skeptical about these sob stories... how many of these have you seen around here and how many were actually true?

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████