Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:03:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best way to make multisig wallets  (Read 235 times)
jackg (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
September 16, 2018, 02:29:14 PM

I want to try to use electrum on my regular machine running a live OS. My issue is, I'm not sure if there's an edition of live windows that can be used (linux seems too dependent on its dependencies to be useful to me - too much reliance on running random scripts from the internet).

Is it safe to assume, once I've sent an amount of coins there and none of them leave and my seeds have been taken completely offline and just stored in a notebook somewhere that my coins are safe for any new coins - I'd use my phone but that seems to have a limit of 5 keys?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HeRetiK
Legendary

Activity: 2884
Merit: 2061

View Profile
September 16, 2018, 09:24:01 PM

I don't quite get your question, do you mean to ask how safe it is to use an operating system booted from a Live CD for sending coins from cold storage? I'd say reasonably safe, however there's rather sophisticated malware out there so I'm not sure I'd bet my house on it.

Have you looked into Tails? AFAIK it comes with Electrum out-of-the-box, so that might be a good starting point?
jackg (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2018, 09:52:44 PM

Have you looked into Tails? AFAIK it comes with Electrum out-of-the-box, so that might be a good starting point?

Aah, it's tails!

I was looking at riscos and thinking of how it won't be compatible with my computer, yes I'll definitely look into that one.
jackg (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 10:24:08 AM

I'll look at that other address. https://tails.boum.org/install/download/index.en.html seems to be down, so i'll try to download the other one...
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2018, 03:52:35 PM

My issue is, I'm not sure if there's an edition of live windows that can be used (linux seems too dependent on its dependencies to be useful to me - too much reliance on running random scripts from the internet).

Why do you think that linux requires to run 'random scripts from the internet' ?
You don't have to run any scripts at all. And obviously also shouldn't without inspecting the code first.

For security reasons, i would discourage you from choosing windows over linux.

Is it safe to assume, once I've sent an amount of coins there and none of them leave and my seeds have been taken completely offline and just stored in a notebook somewhere that my coins are safe for any new coins - I'd use my phone but that seems to have a limit of 5 keys?

If your seed has been generated properly (i.e. trough trustworthy (verified) wallet or through good RNG) offline AND the computer which has the seed stored in a text-file does NEVER touch the internet, it is pretty safe to assume that it is secured.
Without being able to connect to the internet, a potential malware couldn't connect to send the seed to the attacker.

But you should still use a non-digital backup of your seed. Your system/hard drive might break. Or a lightning strike could destroy your hardware.
It is always good to have a non-digital backup for such cases.

jackg (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
September 19, 2018, 05:17:38 PM

My issue is, I'm not sure if there's an edition of live windows that can be used (linux seems too dependent on its dependencies to be useful to me - too much reliance on running random scripts from the internet).

Why do you think that linux requires to run 'random scripts from the internet' ?
You don't have to run any scripts at all. And obviously also shouldn't without inspecting the code first.

For security reasons, i would discourage you from choosing windows over linux.
I don't have the time to read the source code for bitcoin core, libssl-dev and the other requirements needed
Security should be high since the device/disk won't touch the internet, people who moan at windows not being secure is generally because they like how they can download loads of random stuff to it. I don't like that idea of downloading random addons (and I don't think I've downloaded very much to this machine for example that can actually run)...
My computer shuts off if an "untrusted" program uses more than a certain amoount of memory, data or cpu power (only things that are trusted are things like bitcoin core, litecoin core and electrum - my laptop dies if I stay on the forum for too long because it fills up the ram beyond the trusted limit (not just because I don't forget to plug it in Grin))...

If your seed has been generated properly (i.e. trough trustworthy (verified) wallet or through good RNG) offline AND the computer which has the seed stored in a text-file does NEVER touch the internet, it is pretty safe to assume that it is secured.
Without being able to connect to the internet, a potential malware couldn't connect to send the seed to the attacker.

But you should still use a non-digital backup of your seed. Your system/hard drive might break. Or a lightning strike could destroy your hardware.
It is always good to have a non-digital backup for such cases.
I'll just claim it back on the insurance from the lightning strike Grin.
Although my non-digital copy of the seed might be frazzled, ash or molten by this point too?
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2018, 05:24:23 PM

I don't have the time to read the source code for bitcoin core, libssl-dev and the other requirements needed

You don't explicitly have to.

As the name says, 'requirements' are required. Whether on linux or windows doesn't matter.
On linux, you'll have to install them separately. On windows, you simply have tons of bloatware with those requirements included.

Requirements are neither an argument pro nor contra linux/windows.

Security should be high since the device/disk won't touch the internet

As long as there isn't an internet connection, you are pretty secured. Regardless of the OS.
Even windows XP should keep you secured then.

people who moan at windows not being secure is generally because they like how they can download loads of random stuff to it.

Not really.

People who moan at windows not being secure probably realized that there are TONS of unpatched vulnerabilities.
This in combination with the fact that 90%+ of malware is written for windows only makes it safe to assume that windows is less secure overall in comparison to linux.

jackg (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
September 19, 2018, 05:44:49 PM

I wanted to ask, if I send coins to a multisig address, is it possible to work out the addresses that made that multisig address before I sign a transaction?

Security should be high since the device/disk won't touch the internet

As long as there isn't an internet connection, you are pretty secured. Regardless of the OS.
Even windows XP should keep you secured then.

Maybe it's time to test out my offline hard disk cloner and buy a cheap $10 used 512GB hdd (obviously saving stuff to multiple places), switching the hard drive, reinstalling windows completely on the new disk, giving it a standalone electrum and producing my seeds on a flash stick (writing down the seeds). Moving the USB data to another usb stick and completely fill the first stick with random data, then move the second using 7zip and compress encrypt it with a strong password (maybe one of the seeds if I'm using 14 of 15 multisig) back to the original hard drive and just smash the second with a hammer...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: