Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:11:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is school for?  (Read 403 times)
inPRIVACYweBELIEVE (OP)

Activity: 164
Merit: 35

Earn 20% ref commission https://bit.ly/2MaHCEr

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2018, 08:39:13 PM

Please watch the video from Prince Ea before making a comment with you views.

Here are some picks:
# Fear that avoids eye contacting with the teacher
# Afraid to raise the hand for fear of being wrong

-Is school a factory for learning or building up the intellect?
-What is the priority for a school? (test?)
-An extra hour of sleep is more beneficial for a student instead of putting them into an extra essay, reading 150 pages etc?
-Who was suppose to teach you the time management skills?
-"Use your time wisely". What do the teachers mean when they say it?

PS: Feels good the IKEA founder was not a dropout  Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kagenobu Yoshioka

Activity: 51
Merit: 2

View Profile
September 05, 2018, 01:33:53 AM
Merited by dbshck (2)

To learn what is necessary to live in society: responsibility, respect, social interaction, reasoning; as well as the basic of the necessary disciplines in the day to day like mathematics, biology and Portuguese. Be afraid to raise the hand for fear of being wrong it is a psychological problem of yours, not the exclusive fault of the school environment (although it generates this propensity); after all many expose their opinions without any difficulty.

-Is school a factory for learning or building up the intellect? Both.
-What is the priority for a school? (test?) Prepare people for life.
-An extra hour of sleep is more beneficial for a student instead of putting them into an extra essay, reading 150 pages etc? It is, if you sleep at 4am to wake up at 6am.
-Who was suppose to teach you the time management skills? Your colleagues or whoever who are well organized. People have tongue.
- "Use your time wisely". What does the teacher mean when they say it? It means that you should use your time doing something that will benefit you in the future (not all of the time, because we need free time not to fall into potential depression) rather than just thinking about your present. Because thinking only in the present is part of a philosophical current that does not work for most people, and usually has negative consequences.

aplistir

Activity: 378
Merit: 197

View Profile
September 05, 2018, 12:48:29 PM
Merited by paxmao (1)

LOL.

The true purpose of school is not to educate.
It is a place to store those noisy underage people, who are too young to be accepted to workplaces Smiley
And at the same time they are taught how to behave and be QUIET!

I have to say I agree with PrinceEa..
Initscri

Activity: 1540
Merit: 759

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2018, 05:52:05 PM

LOL.

The true purpose of school is not to educate.
It is a place to store those noisy underage people, who are too young to be accepted to workplaces Smiley
And at the same time they are taught how to behave and be QUIET!

I have to say I agree with PrinceEa..

Industrially, yes, that has been evident for quite a while.

While progress is slow though, we are seeing some advancement in alternative education (ie, online learning, more targeted course selections for HS students, etc). I've never been a fan of standardized teaching (same set of courses for everyone)
BitPotus

Activity: 1050
Merit: 604

View Profile
September 12, 2018, 08:42:05 AM

School is for creating corporate slaves for jobs

^^

This 100%
aleksej996

Activity: 490
Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
September 12, 2018, 10:52:20 AM

ideally education is for acknowledgement of your understanding of the subject.
In practice it is rarely valid, a lot of people learn something just for the test to forget it afterwards.
So it is possible that eventually, due to imperfections of the system, people started accepting it as a proof of patience and discipline that is often wanted by conventional employers that want you to listen them and follow their directions as a superior.

Educational systems haven't been about actual education for a long time.
Most can learn whatever they want by themselves whenever they need it.
There is no need to take tests in order to learn something, but these tests and scores are what defines education in schools.
School does not exist for the knowledge, but for acknowledgement instead.
worldofcoins

Activity: 1834
Merit: 418

Need a campaign manager? | Telegram:@worldofcoinss

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2018, 10:30:07 PM

In my views, school is all about getting closer to the individual excelling level. School is a place to learn and grow, make fiends as well as enemies. School -> education is power.
Mpamaegbu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1208

Once a man, twice a child!

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 11:13:12 AM

In a nutshell, school is a scam for certification!

Education is where the mental treasure lies.

Let me break it further down if you are still at a loss with my comment.

School embodies that structural confinement where people are taught in exchange for payment while most times these people aren't taught anything meaningful that pertains to real life issues. But education is that knowledge one acquires without being in a confinement. It could be from a personal experience or from the experiences of others.
bluefirecorp_

Activity: 574
Merit: 152

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 04:10:07 PM
Merited by paxmao (1)

Not watching the video, but reading the other responses is absolutely eye opening.  Shocked

---

Reminder:

A school is an institution designed to provide learning spaces and learning environments for the teaching of students (or "pupils") under the direction of teachers. Most countries have systems of formal education, which is commonly compulsory.

General education is important. Understanding key concepts, like the scientific method, is imperative for future thinkers. You might not think you'll ever need the information you learn at school, but if you didn't know it, you really wouldn't have anything to build on. Different educational methods are required for different subjects and different pupils. Hell, different subjects are required, because we're not all uniform. These are some of the most basic implementations in modern schooling systems.

There's been abuses at schools, and teachers are sometimes somewhat authoritarian, but I'm not sure that's the point the video's trying to make. I've disagreed with institutional bodies, but never really had much of a problem with the requirement.  Maybe it's my unique educational experience to not be quite, not behave, yet still progress through multiple academic institutions.
kawetsriyanto
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1086

Free Bitcoins Every Hour!

View Profile
September 20, 2018, 10:22:05 AM

-Is school a factory for learning or building up the intellect?

For me, school guides us to learn everything about life. In my country, school learns us not only about social knowledge, science, mathematics, history, skills, sports, or linguistics, school also educates us how to be a person with a good personality. Teachers learn us about ethics, religion and mentality. So, I want to say that school is not only focus in teaching students with lots of learning material and help us to get a good jobs later. On the other hand, school also guide us to be a human, a person with good personality.

What school gives to students:

1. Teach about social knowledge, science, mathematics, history, skills, sports, linguistics, and so on. To give us a basic knowledge and experience.
2. Educate students to have good personalities. Teacher use a certain approach to learn students about ethics, religion, and mentality.

~However, education is very important. It is undeniable, every single person should realize about it~    

Thekool1s
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1218

Change is in your hands

View Profile
September 20, 2018, 03:25:53 PM
Last edit: September 20, 2018, 07:45:07 PM by Thekool1s

School is for creating corporate slaves for jobs

Hey, don't blame the schools for that. They are just playing their part in the bigger picture. 'Society' needs schools to produce 'corporate-slaves' to ensure that there is enough supply of workers for people who own the 'means of production'. Plus the whole system is designed to force people into accepting the status-quo.

The video was a good one by EA but he missed many things, like parenting. Parents want their children to become doctors and engineers, cuz these posts have high-value in the society. Supporting Parents are still are a rare thing. I was fortunate enough to have one. My parents always supported me from the start go, They used to tell me to become whatever I like or don't, This kind of freedom is hardly seen from a middle-class family. I have friends who're parents are excepting many things from them but are failing horribly cuz they went in the wrong fields...

But then again I don't blame them. They want what's best for their child i.e have a good life which is often associated with how much money the dude makes. The cycles keep going on, Schools keep crunching out workers who are just trying to survive in the system and ensure that class-consciousness doesn't take place.
joerogers8

Activity: 420
Merit: 105

Negative trust for an opinion! Check it out.

View Profile
September 22, 2018, 01:55:07 AM

I will not allow my son to go to school.  Period.  I will not have him programmed with tons of false history and patently false data.  I will not have him working a corporate slave job like me for his entire life.

Day one when I found out my wife was pregnant I started saving every penny (I fortunately had a high paying job - not a good one just a high paying one).  My wife parents were kind enough over the next few years to watch him during the day while I worked.
One month before he started school I moved into a remote location in a town of only 300 people and started home schooling / farming / crypto trading. 

The rate at which a child learns is an amazing thing once you train them one on one.  My son is 13 now and doing calculus.  They absorb like a sponge.  I spend most of my time teaching math and English.  I teach history however I teach both sides of it from all angles.  Not just my countries propaganda.  I also teach only natural science. 

For him to get a glimpse of the social aspect of it all He has his PS4 and is friends with kids around Earth.  He is also on the little league and basket ball team in the area. 

It's crazy hard work.  I only sleep a few hours a night as farming, firewood and rocketing coins wait for no man.  Even if I drop dead in exhaustion it will be worth it as I cannot be responsible for handing my kid over to the state as my parents did with me.
ShareAccepted

Activity: 336
Merit: 11

Victorieum Digital Wallet Revolution

View Profile
September 22, 2018, 12:06:18 PM

Once more children are being prepared for the wrong things, even those that have supportive families have to choose from what is available in the education market.

The future is about robots and AI doing the more repetitive and risky tasks, while humans plan, direct and give purpose. Instead of looking into the old models of "preparing children to work" we should be looking to free up "human time" and learn how to make good use of our brains to choose and develop better political models, art, philosophy and evolve as a species.

By better I mean models that can reward the individuals based on their contribution to others, not their birth. Models that free up everyone´s time when new advances are made in automation or humanity as a whole becomes more efficient, all this as opposed to those that keep all the gains in the hands of a few.

I am not talking bollocks, all this is possible, but the first place they start convincing you that is not is ... school. You learn that you are powerless, that your feelings and needs are less important than the adults or the people in power, that you have to be on time, dress in uniform (= you are a number) and go at the same pace of the rest unless you want to be marked as "inadequate".

jiya jaena

Activity: 167
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 25, 2018, 07:19:49 PM

I think schools are only a small part of many factors that influence a person's success, because the main factor of success is hard work, in my opinion, school is used to develop one's skills and broaden one's horizons
r1s2g3

Activity: 742
Merit: 395

I am alive but in hibernation.

View Profile
September 27, 2018, 03:19:35 PM

There is time when learning was considered as leisure activity and not everybody is learned. Religious beliefs are dominating the scientific facts and scientific facts were discarded. (Few centuries back, we were believing that earth was the centre of solar system). Once the monarch get free from the religious hold and new governments that are getting created are democratic in nature (even overthrowing monarchy.)

In this changing age we need the system which can educate the masses at least the fundamental concepts and modern schools are born.
Schools are still effective in teaching the fundamental concept to the masses but only problem I see that their curriculum.

When in every decade, a new technology will come and fade away,Mankind is facing new challenges schools are still  using their old curriculum(or with very little change.) and this is the root cause of the problem.

Our challenges are changed what they used to 50 years ago but our curriculum still is more or less same .(at least in my country, we all still reading the same subjects.)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: