Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:09:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the best technology to use for a face-to-face BTC transaction.  (Read 5019 times)
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2011, 07:33:14 PM

@nmat, if i import the key pair you generated and charged with funds into my wallet and set it on auto, make a transaction to transfer funds on one of my personal accounts, how would you double spend the coins without having some superhero abilities of some kind ?

Finney attack

I don't need superhero abilities, just a decent amount of computational power Cool It is obviously not simple and may not be practical to do, but if you are relying on this "instant transaction" to make large deals (several thousands of dollars) you may be defrauded. You need to wait for confirmations on the transaction to your personal account.

EDIT: The general idea of the attack is that I am pre-mining blocks which include the transaction from my address A to my address B, but I don't release them. Then I give you the private key/wallet to my address A. You give me the money and send a transaction from the address A (which you now control) to your address C. As soon as I "hear" your transaction spending the coins in A, I release the block with a transaction from A to B, which invalidates your transaction.

i would happily wait an hour if it's a really large sum, invite the other person a coffee, take a walk or something else. we could turn more social using this system, you never know Tongue

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 07:44:14 PM

i would happily wait an hour if it's a really large sum, invite the other person a coffee, take a walk or something else. we could turn more social using this system, you never know Tongue

Yes, I also like that option. It promotes human contact and social interaction. Everybody is in such a rush these days...
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2011, 07:46:41 PM

Yes, I also like that option. It promotes human contact and social interaction. Everybody is in such a rush these days...

Exactly, you said it  Cheesy

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
October 29, 2011, 08:14:29 PM

I think that at this time, a good percent of the people who have the number of BTC that I would want are perhaps not the kind of people I would wish to spend a lot of time hanging out with.  I'd just as soon pass on being the target of a 'three-pronged attack', for instance.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: