Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 05:57:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My Neo wallet hacked after contributing an NEX ICO  (Read 169 times)
CryptoMashina (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 06, 2018, 02:54:31 PM

Hi,

I will try to explain what happened in the last 12 hours, as I am trying to understand what went wrong and maybe someone help me.

So last night I decided to contribute in NEX ICO. I watched the instructional video, logged in my NEX extension, went to their site and pressed the Contribute Now button. The page did not load, I tried several times with same result. I decided to change the internet connection and connected to my 4G. The page immediately loaded, so I followed the procedure and contributed, everything went smoothly and finally I got he page saying that I contributed successfully and I am owner of 999.99999997 NEX. I went to bed.

Today I opened my wallet and noticed all my balances are down to 0. Thought it is some kind of mistake at first, but then I saw that approx 4 hours after my contribution numerous transactions happened (starting with 999 .9999 NEX tokens) and all my NEO funds were sent to unknown address. I am posting the address here because the guy kepps on stealing at the moment - AYRgkLpCaew26ByYKV13x1xXqkQABuTZwr . I just noticed that he emptied another wallet connected to NEX ICO. Just 10 minutes ago he got 999.999 NEX tokens from some other wallet + some NEO and other tokens. It is obvious this incident is connected to the NEX ICO, because the account in question already accumulated close to 7000 Nex tokens and is emptying everything else from the wallets.

Please help with ideas what is my next step to prevent this scam happening to other people and hopefully recovering my funds

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MadGamer
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1031

View Profile
September 08, 2018, 08:02:35 PM

I'm not really familiar with NEO so when you say your wallet got emptied, do you mean the wallet you had inside the NEX ICO website? or actually a desktop wallet in your PC? Because If you were using a software or another website as a wallet, then this may have nothing to do with the ICO itself.
jhenfelipe

Activity: 1372
Merit: 647

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 07:55:21 PM

Neon Exchange ICO?

Where did you get the info about them? Please share here the links of the NEX extension and the website that you used (check in your browser history to be certain). There's a high possibility that you visited a fake/phishing site or installed a malware infected extension. There are plenty of phishing sites nowadays and I saw one comment in their twitter post that a fake NEX site is now existing (this is expected).

Please note that they do not have a telegram channel as well, so if ever someone contacted you through TG, that's fake.
tamango

Activity: 602
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 08:01:25 PM

I think that you visited a fake NEX website and so hacker has stolen your private key..... hacking a wallet is very difficult but using phishig is one of their best solutions...

what did NEX team said? Have you written to them?
frchowe214

Activity: 402
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 08:12:48 PM

When you say you logged into your NEX extension did you check it was the real deal? I think this is the issue here, most likely it was a scam version phishing for private keys and passwords. One of the admins on their telegram channel should be able to help you figure out what went wrong

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▃▅▇  GLX  ▇▅▃▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
Medium  ♦️  Facebook  ♦️  Telegram ◄ ▬▬▬▬ Class A Common Equity Token  ▬▬▬▬  ▶ Twitter  ♦️  Offering memorandum  ♦️  GitHub
STO ▶ March 15 2019 - May 14 2019
mostkey

Activity: 742
Merit: 253

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 08:14:45 PM

It is your fault because you have entered a dangerous site like that by not loading it several times, it can be a pishing site or something else so you get access to your device, it is clear that it is the behavior of hackers, nothing can be done anymore because they have brought all, maybe it's a lesson for you to be more careful every time you visit another site about cryptocurrency on behalf of ICO and so on, keep your wallet key in another place, not in a place that you often use to access the internet, as much as possible offline.
Sifon

Activity: 112
Merit: 2

View Profile
September 10, 2018, 08:23:09 PM

It's unfortunate that despite several warnings, people still fall victims of these phishing sites. How hard is it to do simple verification before your connect your wallet to any prompt, or send any coins to any wallet?? Simply confirming with the admins on telegram the site you were currently on would have save d you a lot. Well I guess you've paid the price of learning the hard way. Tough luck buddy and be more circumspect next time.
btcscal

Activity: 272

View Profile
September 13, 2018, 06:50:27 AM

This is a very serious matter and I’m very sorry for your lose. NEX extension is becoming weaker and weaker. So I would request all other users not to use NEX extension and log out of the extension as soon as possible.
BTCPair1000

Activity: 72

View Profile
September 16, 2018, 10:44:09 AM

I think the fault is from NEX ICO's side. There must have been a loophole which is being taken advantage of by the hacker, which is why he is only stealing NEX tokens right now. Try contacting NEX's support as soon as possible. I hope they'll come up with an solution unless the fault is from your or your wallet's side.
PurpleNights

View Profile
September 21, 2018, 11:49:18 PM

Sorry about you getting your account hacked and probably losing your funds. I think you should be more careful with your transaction, so this doesn't have to repeat itself. As much as possible, ensure that you are on a safe network before carrying out your transactions. I wish there was a way you could rectify this and get your coins back.
Sanmark

Merit: 1

View Profile
September 22, 2018, 12:00:17 AM

I think the fault is from NEX ICO's side. There must have been a loophole which is being taken advantage of by the hacker, which is why he is only stealing NEX tokens right now.

Till the date of this post there were more different coins on that address, not just nex! Only way is that they could hack neo wallet is if you entered your private key in their ICO application!

Word of Mouth Pro   │▌ https://wmpro.io ▐│
A Blockchain based Reputation and Rating Ecosystem
cryptodalton

Activity: 126
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 22, 2018, 10:44:51 AM

That is a very concerning thing because it is really hard to identify if the hacker is leveraging his idea of NEX's website or NEO wallet to hack these coins. Contact the support of both and hopefully they will be able to provide a valid explanation for it. But if the problem is from your side, then I am sorry to say, you might have lost your coins.
lagharto

Activity: 588
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 22, 2018, 10:58:20 AM

i agree with comments above, it is not NEX ico fault, i know a lot of people who invested in NEX and no one from them has this issue.
Always re-check links twice or even more times, look at it like an idiot with round eyes but you will not be fished anymore.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: