Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:17:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC Total GHash/Sec almost 15000. 51% Attack?  (Read 1236 times)
Kumala (OP)

Activity: 525
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 05:25:19 AM

Did anyone notice? I just looked on allchains.info.   BTC hashing power shows 15000 GHash, a few days ago it was somewhere around 8000. Who just joined the game? I hope this is not one single entity otherwise we have to fear a 51% attack (though not sure where the economical feasability of that is, adding 8000 GHashes is something like 10000 Radeon 6990 cards plus the power costs). What happens if that entity disappears again soon? We all remember how that went with Namecoin some months ago, a vicious cycle starts.

Hacked Account! Don't send any money.
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
elggawf

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 05:29:15 AM

I was confused about this a while back, but here's the skinny on the hashrate guesses.

Yes, they're guesses. I believe they're a product of difficulty and how fast the last couple of blocks have come in. Apparently the network just got pretty lucky a little while ago, and there's also talk of the difficulty drop meaning a few miners are coming back on that were previously turned off. But it's probably just more likely the network got insanely lucky for a short period.

But if you look now, the rates are back down where they're supposed to be. So no, probably nothing fishy going on.

Also, the 51% attacks, as I understand them, are more effective if you pick a spot to fork from, and if you do that with your 101% of the current hashrate, the Bitcoin-proper network won't see it until you announce those blocks onto the main network. So it's not just a case of: "Giant increase in hashrate? We're under attack!"

^_^
Kumala (OP)

Activity: 525
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 05:53:13 AM

Looks like your right. The hashes are already going down again. I tend to watch this carefully as running an exchange bears certain risks.

Hacked Account! Don't send any money.
MaxSan

Activity: 369

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 11:20:40 AM

This is correct only based on previous time to solve blocks. It wont be reliable until maybe 100 blocks are produced.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 11:24:31 AM

http://bitcoin.sipa.be gives a much saner and less jiggly view of the hasrate, there's different averaging periods being used in the graphs.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2011, 11:28:53 AM

Lots of miners play the on/off game right now, each time the difficulty drops they come back and switch off again when the price goes down.
elggawf

Activity: 308

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 02:20:25 PM

Lots of miners play the on/off game right now, each time the difficulty drops they come back and switch off again when the price goes down.

The hash rate data doesn't support that hypothesis, IMHO. It's a logical conclusion to draw, but when you look at the hashrate data (see the charts linked above) it doesn't look like any substantial amount of miners has come online since the difficulty drop. We're actually right now (according to BitcoinCharts) still below the 6/hour target.

^_^
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2011, 02:25:50 PM

The hash rate data doesn't support that hypothesis, IMHO. It's a logical conclusion to draw, but when you look at the hashrate data (see the charts linked above) it doesn't look like any substantial amount of miners has come online since the difficulty drop. We're actually right now (according to BitcoinCharts) still below the 6/hour target.
It looked like that on this graph the moment I posted it.

Onset was before the actual drop, so my hypothesis was/is that they wait till the estimate is sufficiently reliable.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: