Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:40:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reminder for @theymos - Public-key-registration System  (Read 230 times)
Aveatrex (OP)

Activity: 840
Merit: 375

View Profile
September 06, 2018, 07:28:12 PM
Merited by malevolent (2), TheBeardedBaby (1)

Few months ago,I started a thread about how bitcointalk collect logs,IPs etc..
@theymos suggested a solution,to implement a public-key-registration system in order to let users who are registered within this system avoid IP logging.

I don't like that IPs are sometimes kept indefinitely. To prevent abuse, it would probably be sufficient to keep them for ~6 months. But keeping these logs long-term is extremely useful for account recoveries. I've been thinking about this issue, and I think that in the future I might let users opt out of long-term IP logging if they have a public key registered in a (currently-not-existing) public-key-registration system. Though, again, even then you should model this site and all sites as keeping complete logs.

@theymos I know you are busy,but please don't forget this.

░░░▄▀█░░░▄░▄▄░▄░░░█▀▄
▄▄▄▀▀██▀░█▐▌█ ▀██▀▀▄▄▄
▐▌░░░▐▀░▄▀░▐▌░▀▄░▀▌░░░▐▌
▐▌░░░█░░▄▀▄▐▌▄▀▄░░█░░░▐▌
▐▌░░░█░░▀▄░▀▀░▄▀░░█░░░▐▌
▐▌░░▄░█▄░▀▄▐▌▄▀░▄█░▄░░▐▌
▐▌░█▄█░░▀▀▀██▀▀▀░░█▄█░▐▌
▐▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐▌
▐█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▌
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄█▄░░░░░░░▄█▄
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄█▄░░░
░░░░▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░█▀▄▄▀▄▄▀█░░░▐▌▐▌
░░░░░░░▐▌▐▌
░░░░░░░░█▄░░░░▄█
█▄█▄▄▄▄▄█▄█░░░░▄▄▀▀▀▄▄
░░░░▄▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄██▀█▌▀▄
░░░██▄██▄▄█▀█▌█▐█▄█▌█▐█
░░░░█▄▄▄▄▄█▄█▌█▐█▄█▌█▐█
░░░░█▄█░░░░░█▄▄█▄█▄█▄█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀░░░▀▀▄█▄█▄▀▀

░░░██▄▄░░██░██
▄▄░░░░░▀█░█▄▐▌░░░░░▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▐▌▄█▐▌░░░░█░▀▀
░░░░░░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀░░▄▄
░░░░░░█░▀▀▀▀▀▀▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▄
░░▀▀░░█▄▀▀▀▀▀█▄▀
░░░░░░░█▐▌▀█░█
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▐▌░█░░▀▀▀▀▀▀█
░░░░░░░░██░░▀▀▀▀▀██░██

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
September 06, 2018, 07:58:56 PM

Few months ago,I started a thread about how bitcointalk collect logs,IPs etc..
@theymos suggested a solution,to implement a public-key-registration system in order to let users who are registered within this system avoid IP logging.

I don't like that IPs are sometimes kept indefinitely. To prevent abuse, it would probably be sufficient to keep them for ~6 months. But keeping these logs long-term is extremely useful for account recoveries. I've been thinking about this issue, and I think that in the future I might let users opt out of long-term IP logging if they have a public key registered in a (currently-not-existing) public-key-registration system. Though, again, even then you should model this site and all sites as keeping complete logs.

@theymos I know you are busy,but please don't forget this.

I don't understand why theymos said there in that quote that keeping IP logs is extremely useful for account recoveries. Most hackers will just use Tor or a VPN to log in, and most people will also use VPN and Tor to browse this site, that is, if they know what they are doing, because I doubt people use their real IP's here, a place with tons of scammers trying to dox each other and so on. (maybe im missing the point and he is talking about something else, I haven't looked at the context of the quote)

The recovery system is a mess, big backlog of people still waiting to get their accounts recovered after delivering sufficient cryptographic proof via signing a message with a BTC address as they request. Yet, 99% chances are neither theymos or cyrus will look at your thread.

I like how that system sounds, however it must be automated for account recovery or else hire more people to make the process faster.
pugman
Legendary

Activity: 2383
Merit: 1551

dogs are cute.

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2018, 09:27:56 PM

He's working on it:

If you have not posted that addy elsewhere, it probably won't be accepted.

We don't actually accept the profile field address unless there's some sort of proof that it's remained unchanged, for that very reason.

I'm working on a new address-staking system which will automatically handle signatures, etc. Might have it ready by the end of the month if nothing else comes up to consume my time.

I don't understand why theymos said there in that quote that keeping IP logs is extremely useful for account recoveries. Most hackers will just use Tor or a VPN to log in, and most people will also use VPN and Tor to browse this site, that is, if they know what they are doing, because I doubt people use their real IP's here, a place with tons of scammers trying to dox each other and so on. (maybe im missing the point and he is talking about something else, I haven't looked at the context of the quote)

The recovery system is a mess, big backlog of people still waiting to get their accounts recovered after delivering sufficient cryptographic proof via signing a message with a BTC address as they request. Yet, 99% chances are neither theymos or cyrus will look at your thread.

I like how that system sounds, however it must be automated for account recovery or else hire more people to make the process faster.
Very few people use VPN/TOR, even if they do, they don't exactly know how to use it(like having your cookies kept idle or whatever that is).  The hackers may use a VPN/Tor, but the old users who got their account hacked due to the bitcointalk hack probably didn't use any VPN/tor. I could be wrong, but people initially wouldn't have used a VPN/tor, because who would have thought shit like this happens on the forum.

Ludji

Activity: 112
Merit: 5

View Profile
September 06, 2018, 10:40:49 PM

Why would most people use VPN here? I mean more than in any other case. There's nothing illegal going on, so if a person doesn't use a VPN in everyday browsing, there's no reason to use one here. Having said that, there is a concerning amount of scammers here and they're starting to pile up on each other. Maybe we should address that issue first..

Looking for Reddit accounts? Well look no further, HIGH-QUALITY REDDIT ACCOUNTS FOR SALE: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4960485.0
pugman
Legendary

Activity: 2383
Merit: 1551

dogs are cute.

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2018, 10:50:40 PM
Merited by suchmoon (4)

Why would most people use VPN here? I mean more than in any other case. There's nothing illegal going on, so if a person doesn't use a VPN in everyday browsing, there's no reason to use one here. Having said that, there is a concerning amount of scammers here and they're starting to pile up on each other. Maybe we should address that issue first..
Just because you use a VPN, doesn't mean you're doing illegal things here. VPN is intended for your privacy ,not to protect you from illegal activities. People use VPN here, because they apparently get ddoxed and whatnot through various means. So if you want to protect yourself from hackers ,and want your data to be safe, its advisable to use a VPN/tor.

Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
September 06, 2018, 10:56:57 PM

I don't understand why theymos said there in that quote that keeping IP logs is extremely useful for account recoveries. Most hackers will just use Tor or a VPN to log in, and most people will also use VPN and Tor to browse this site, ...
maybe that's the same reason why theymos won't recover account easily
those people using Tor/VPN are hiding their real IPs, so theymos can't verify the origin of user
if the user logged from the same clear domain (non Tor/VPN) almost all his logtime, probably theymos would easily release the account

Ludji

Activity: 112
Merit: 5

View Profile
September 06, 2018, 11:53:39 PM

Just because you use a VPN, doesn't mean you're doing illegal things here. VPN is intended for your privacy ,not to protect you from illegal activities. People use VPN here, because they apparently get ddoxed and whatnot through various means. So if you want to protect yourself from hackers ,and want your data to be safe, its advisable to use a VPN/tor.

No, you didn't understand. Read again:

more than in any other case. There's nothing illegal going on, so if a person doesn't use a VPN in everyday browsing, there's no reason to use one here

If you're just a regular Internet user there is no added threat here on the forum, thus no larger need for hiding your IP. in comparison to other websites/forums Let's not make this forum a high-tech hacking society when half the users can't even write proper English(nothing against non-English languages, but it shows a lack of education not knowing it nowadays IMO).

Looking for Reddit accounts? Well look no further, HIGH-QUALITY REDDIT ACCOUNTS FOR SALE: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4960485.0
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5152
Merit: 12580

View Profile
September 07, 2018, 12:50:00 AM

I'm about halfway done with it. Other things came up. Probably I won't finish it this month, maybe in October.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
September 07, 2018, 03:01:35 PM

I don't understand why theymos said there in that quote that keeping IP logs is extremely useful for account recoveries. Most hackers will just use Tor or a VPN to log in, and most people will also use VPN and Tor to browse this site, ...
maybe that's the same reason why theymos won't recover account easily
those people using Tor/VPN are hiding their real IPs, so theymos can't verify the origin of user
if the user logged from the same clear domain (non Tor/VPN) almost all his logtime, probably theymos would easily release the account

Im pretty sure theymos is pro-Tor and probably uses it himself, or a VPN. I mean, the guy is hated by a lot of people, like Roger Ver and others, basically all of /r/btc is after him, they want this site, they want the /r/bitcoin, I think they already tried doxing him, so yeah, it's only sane to use proxies in bitcoinland. The question is why the hell wouldn't you? I mean Tor is free, and again, as other people said, it has nothing to do with doing anything illegal, it's about protecting yourself from attackers, and assuming this forum doesn't have attackers is naive. They are after everything they can get, starting by your account.

The reason theymos and Cyrus take so long to recover accounts I doubt it has anything to do with IP's and more because they simply don't have the time to look at all the ever growing request and for some reason refuse to hire staff to recover people's accounts that delivered the required cryptographic proof. The whole point of Bitcoin and cryptography is to demonstrate proof of ownership via cryptography only.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: