Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 11:19:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Relevance of anarchism in an automatised society?  (Read 360 times)
lynn_402 (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 253

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 05:17:06 PM

Disclaimer: Please forgive my low level of English, as it is not my primary language.

I consider myself an anarchist, who favours justice over equality, ability over need, and I believe every individual has enough potential of intellegence to become auto-suficient with no need to rely on a government.
However, there's an issue with this and I can't find a solution for it.

Recently in my city, a 80% automatised food warehouse opened. Whereas warehouse usually employs many lifters and employees who prepare orders, this one relies almost exclusively on robots.
I wonder, how can people compete with them? How can the unemployed who could have worked there afford to buy the products?
Sure this procedure reduces the price of the products, but this does not help people who can't find job in an anarchist society.
Of course that is just a small localized exemple of a global phenomenum.

A solution might be to reduce the number of hours worked in a week, like a 24-hour workweek.
However, most workers will not be willing to freely give up their work hours, even if the wages were higher, and that is perfectly just.
Also, reducing the time of the work-week might be a problem for employers, since it means paying more for formations, and it might make it harder for them to get to know competent and trustworthy employees. ie they would not do it unless some form of government forces them.

Perhaps some form of wealth redistribution will be inevitable in the future because of this problem?

I'd be very obliged if someone were to show me a path towards a solution for this.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 3045

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 03:02:35 AM

I wonder, how can people compete with them? How can the unemployed who could have worked there afford to buy the products?
Sure this procedure reduces the price of the products, but this does not help people who can't find job in an anarchist society.
Um, no, lower prices do in fact help people who can't find a job. Lower prices of necessities means people can afford more luxuries. Which in turn means more jobs are available producing luxuries for the people who can now afford them.

A solution might be to reduce the number of hours worked in a week, like a 24-hour workweek.
However, most workers will not be willing to freely give up their work hours, even if the wages were higher, and that is perfectly just.
I don't know what planet you're from, but here on Earth, if you offer your employees less hours and higher wages, nobody will refuse your offer.

Also, reducing the time of the work-week might be a problem for employers, since it means paying more for formations, and it might make it harder for them to get to know competent and trustworthy employees. ie they would not do it unless some form of government forces them.
This may come as a shock to you, but most companies don't actually give a shit about getting to know their employees. If, as a result of automation or any other factors, there is less work to be done, companies will either cut workers' hours or fire some of them. No company is going to pay workers to stand around and do nothing (unless they have a government contract).

Perhaps some form of wealth redistribution will be inevitable in the future because of this problem?
Wealth redistribution isn't a problem, it's a normal and necessary aspect of trade. Wealth is distributed from consumers to producers. If you want to become wealthy in a capitalist society, you must produce things that are valuable to society (this concept is hard for governments to grasp).

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
lynn_402 (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 253

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 03:29:44 AM

Um, no, lower prices do in fact help people who can't find a job. Lower prices of necessities means people can afford more luxuries. Which in turn means more jobs are available producing luxuries for the people who can now afford them.
In a society were most things are mass produced, say, by 3D printers, these luxuries won't create many jobs. The problem remains.

I don't know what planet you're from, but here on Earth, if you offer your employees less hours and higher wages, nobody will refuse your offer.

I'm quite sure most employers prefer to keep 100 employees working 40 hours, than 200 working 20 - less management, human ressources, and formations costs. Thus they would not have many incencitive to redistribute the work. Also, workaholics are very real. Where I worked at, people felt cheated when they only got 32 work hours and were jumping on overtime opportunities everytime they had the chance, even though the salary at that place was good.

This may come as a shock to you, but most companies don't actually give a shit about getting to know their employees. If, as a result of automation or any other factors, there is less work to be done, companies will either cut workers' hours or fire some of them. No company is going to pay workers to stand around and do nothing (unless they have a government contract).
Of course they don't give a shit about getting to know them, but they do care about keeping competent and trustworthy employees, and that's easier to manage when you have fewer of them working more hours. And of course they'll fire some of them and won't pay workers to stand around and to nothing, that is unrelated to the issue.

Wealth redistribution isn't a problem, it's a normal and necessary aspect of trade. Wealth is distributed from consumers to producers. If you want to become wealthy in a capitalist society, you must produce things that are valuable to society (this concept is hard for governments to grasp).
Yes and this is the most rational system for today's society. But my thought-problem is: if you must produce valuable things to survive, how will you be able to when 90% of the workforce is automatised? I agree that your answers apply perfectly for the short term, but I'm not sure that system will be viable for long if technology continues to get better.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: