Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:09:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What should i take note when building a mining Rig? (What's Important)  (Read 975 times)
puremage111 (OP)

Activity: 1568
Merit: 511

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2017, 06:56:56 AM

Alright so i browse through multiple forum and read some reviews.

Bold hardware is important

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560
MOBO: Gigabyte H110M-WW
RAM: GSKill AEGIS 8GB DDR4 2133mhz
GPU: Gigabyte GTX1050TI 4GB DDR5
Case: EsuperCase with 450W PSU
SSD: Intel 540S 120GB SSD

1) As a starter, can this spec do good in mining? Not looking for huge profit, just wanted to learn up something
2) Other than the hardware in bold text, what should i take note?
3) Do i need water cooling for this set up if i wanted to run 24/7?
4) If i wanted to add 2 more Rx480 4GB, an upgrade to 750W PSU Is enough for that? And if i do this, what i should take note?

Thank you!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
deadsix

Activity: 751
Merit: 517

Fail to plan, and you plan to fail.

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 11:09:59 AM

1) As a starter, can this spec do good in mining? Not looking for huge profit, just wanted to learn up something
If you are building a pc for regular use, and want to look at mining using it, then yes these components are fine. If you are buliding a pc specifically for mining then you have selected all the wrong components.
The motherboard is the most important component, and you need one that can support multiple PCIe cards. The board you have selected can run a maximum of two, and you would need a powered riser to get the 2nd card running. See if you can get the Biostar TB250 or one of the several Z170 options mentioned in these forums.
Then for mining you need to get cards that ROI fast, so something like a 4GB RX 470. The 1050Ti is not nearly as good at crypto. You can not do a mining rig ina  regular case. You need a higher capacity power supply, assume 150W per GPU. The Intel SSD is waaay to expensive to justify its place in a mining system.
No.
4) If i wanted to add 2 more Rx480 4GB, an upgrade to 750W PSU Is enough for that? And if i do this, what i should take note?
Yes, a 750W PSU is enough for upto 4 GPU's. But the RX 480 4GB is poor value, the RX 470 4GB or RX 480 8GB are really the only two good options

Ethereum/Zcash/Monero Mining Bangalore https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1703592
puremage111 (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2017, 01:52:53 AM

If you are building a pc for regular use, and want to look at mining using it, then yes these components are fine. If you are buliding a pc specifically for mining then you have selected all the wrong components.
The motherboard is the most important component, and you need one that can support multiple PCIe cards. The board you have selected can run a maximum of two, and you would need a powered riser to get the 2nd card running. See if you can get the Biostar TB250 or one of the several Z170 options mentioned in these forums.
Then for mining you need to get cards that ROI fast, so something like a 4GB RX 470. The 1050Ti is not nearly as good at crypto. You can not do a mining rig ina  regular case. You need a higher capacity power supply, assume 150W per GPU. The Intel SSD is waaay to expensive to justify its place in a mining system.
No.
Yes, a 750W PSU is enough for upto 4 GPU's. But the RX 480 4GB is poor value, the RX 470 4GB or RX 480 8GB are really the only two good options

Thannks alot for the advice and help!

So other than motherboard, psu case, storage, all other hardware are okay with it?
Btw why is intel SSD way too expensive in justifying in this mining rig? is it due to storage?
Finally, lets say if i run up to 4 graphic cards, is there any cooling i need to go for? i mean i have read that some people mining hardwarw got broke due to high temp

Really appreciate for your reply
Thanks and regards,
Puremage
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 04:26:12 AM

this is a terrible build for mining imo.

get 470 or 480 cards (depnding on your budget), and put 4 cards together with a suitable lga1150 mobo and cheap cpu

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
puremage111 (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2017, 04:53:44 AM

this is a terrible build for mining imo.

get 470 or 480 cards (depnding on your budget), and put 4 cards together with a suitable lga1150 mobo and cheap cpu

Alright, thanks for the advice, as i just see this set up as a budget gamer set up and i change the hardware little bit, guess i need to read more to prevent making error, thanks alot!
coinzoid

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 06:14:28 PM

PSU is also an important factor. I suggest building your rig on a quality psu, good risers. Even with best psus you might be unlucky (see my topic named NEW PSU Died after 24 hours), so mining on an average psu may kill everything.
uray

Activity: 1400
Merit: 505

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 10:25:01 PM
Last edit: March 25, 2017, 11:00:47 PM by uray

• its not recommended to use a PC case (always hotter than open air)
  • its not recommended to use nVidia GPU (less price/performance)
  • don't pick fancy GPU with RGB lighting its waste of electricity and sooner or later you will got bored
  • you don't need fast and large disk, 32-64GB is enough
  • you don't need fast ethernet connection 100mbps is more than enough
  • you don't need latest and expensive motherboard, what you need is cheapest motherboard with most PCIe slot, like asrock pro-btc (80$) or gigabye GA-MA770T-US3 (30$)
  • you don't need fast ram, 16GB slowest DDR3 is enough, even DDR2 is enough
  • you don't need watercooling or air conditioned room (300w of AC never enough to compensate >1kw of thermal generated by GPUs) , what you need is good airflow
  • you don't need expensive fast multicore cpu, dual core cpu is enough, preferably choose lowest TDP CPU such as Pentium, celeron or atom
  • you shouldn't and don't need to crossfire or SLI any GPU

my suggestion

• always use powered GPU riser instead of plug in GPU directly to motherboard (6-Pin PCIe powered Riser is preferable instead of molex or sata)
  • pick highest efficiency in term of price per performance GPU such as Radeon RX470-4GB is considered most optimum
  • pick GPU that has dual bios
  • if available, pick single radial fan (the one that used by reference design card), instead of dual or tri-fan for durabilty and ease of directing hot air
  • pick highest efficiency PSU, with most PCIe cable and 4-pin molex cables, PSU built for mining is preferred such as from bitmain
  • don't ever daisy chain molex or sate cable for more than one GPU Riser
  • never use less than 18awg cable for powering GPU preferable 16awg cables
  • if you want to expand, choose PCIe Port Multiplier first, instead of buying another motherboard
  • turn of unnecessary onboard device, such as audio, serial port, usb3.0, esata
  • choose PCIe gen1 or 2 in bios, don't use gen3 (better compatibilty for multiple GPU

DOM SSD 32GB

chepest 5 slot motherboard on the planet GA-MA770T-US3

PSU designed built for mining 24/7, Bitmain APW3-12-1600-A3

most versatile and efficient GPU, or wait for RX 570

PCIe 6-Pin Powered Riser

PCIe port multiplier
kissmarx

Activity: 1106
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2018, 04:12:09 PM

Nice suggestion for the day and time. But now is September 13, 2018. What could possibly be the cheaper but good way to start a mining rig?

It is good to mine now while most alts are bottomed. So that when everything goes mooning again, we will have something of nice volume to trade with.

• its not recommended to use a PC case (always hotter than open air)
  • its not recommended to use nVidia GPU (less price/performance)
  • don't pick fancy GPU with RGB lighting its waste of electricity and sooner or later you will got bored
  • you don't need fast and large disk, 32-64GB is enough
  • you don't need fast ethernet connection 100mbps is more than enough
  • you don't need latest and expensive motherboard, what you need is cheapest motherboard with most PCIe slot, like asrock pro-btc (80$) or gigabye GA-MA770T-US3 (30$)
  • you don't need fast ram, 16GB slowest DDR3 is enough, even DDR2 is enough
  • you don't need watercooling or air conditioned room (300w of AC never enough to compensate >1kw of thermal generated by GPUs) , what you need is good airflow
  • you don't need expensive fast multicore cpu, dual core cpu is enough, preferably choose lowest TDP CPU such as Pentium, celeron or atom
  • you shouldn't and don't need to crossfire or SLI any GPU

my suggestion

• always use powered GPU riser instead of plug in GPU directly to motherboard (6-Pin PCIe powered Riser is preferable instead of molex or sata)
  • pick highest efficiency in term of price per performance GPU such as Radeon RX470-4GB is considered most optimum
  • pick GPU that has dual bios
  • if available, pick single radial fan (the one that used by reference design card), instead of dual or tri-fan for durabilty and ease of directing hot air
  • pick highest efficiency PSU, with most PCIe cable and 4-pin molex cables, PSU built for mining is preferred such as from bitmain
  • don't ever daisy chain molex or sate cable for more than one GPU Riser
  • never use less than 18awg cable for powering GPU preferable 16awg cables
  • if you want to expand, choose PCIe Port Multiplier first, instead of buying another motherboard
  • turn of unnecessary onboard device, such as audio, serial port, usb3.0, esata
  • choose PCIe gen1 or 2 in bios, don't use gen3 (better compatibilty for multiple GPU

DOM SSD 32GB

chepest 5 slot motherboard on the planet GA-MA770T-US3

PSU designed built for mining 24/7, Bitmain APW3-12-1600-A3

most versatile and efficient GPU, or wait for RX 570

PCIe 6-Pin Powered Riser

PCIe port multiplier

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: