Bitcoin Forum
April 10, 2024, 09:05:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do the benefits of AI outweigh the risks?  (Read 155 times)
Ladysmith (OP)

Activity: 179
Merit: 16

View Profile
September 12, 2018, 03:52:51 PM

https://www.economist.com/open-future/2018/09/10/do-the-benefits-of-artificial-intelligence-outweigh-the-risks

Concerns about the misuse of AI are definitely something to be taken seriously.

Prominent scientists and technologists like the late Stephen Hawking and Elon Musk have voiced concern for the risks associated with the accelerating development of artificial intelligence (AI).

Is all of this even worth developing? I feel our track record is a good indicator of how we're going to use it.

The most threatening:

Furthermore, increased automation gives more physical control to digital systems, making cyberattacks even more dangerous. Regulation can ensure that AI engineers are employing best practices in cybersecurity and limiting distribution of military technology. Considering the portability of AI, enforcing these rules will be difficult and international cooperation will likely be necessary.

International cooperation? Don't make me laugh. Looks like we're doomed.
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
funkenstein
Legendary

Activity: 1066
Merit: 1050

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2018, 03:55:46 AM

"Regulation can ensure that AI engineers are employing best practices in cybersecurity"
Lol yeah, lets put the decisions in the hands of other people who have different colored hats, that should do the trick. 

"Give me control over a coin's checkpoints and I care not who mines its blocks."
http://vtscc.org  http://woodcoin.info
Impulseboy

Activity: 196
Merit: 4

View Profile
September 13, 2018, 05:42:40 PM

I do believe that AI is worth developing. AGIs can help make our lives easier. They can also do the hard and risky work for us. I am not sure if I believe that there will come a time when AGIs will be so smart that they will want to eradicate the human population, but perhaps it is just me.
SnowAugustine

Activity: 140
Merit: 5

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 10:45:33 AM

Anyone who is bad would abuse anything even if that thing is something is created for good. Artificial Intelligence has a lot of good applications in a lot of industries - one of those being healthcare. I have just read recently in the news how AI is helping doctors in diagnostics, for example.
Ladysmith (OP)

Activity: 179
Merit: 16

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 04:41:11 PM

Anyone who is bad would abuse anything even if that thing is something is created for good. Artificial Intelligence has a lot of good applications in a lot of industries - one of those being healthcare. I have just read recently in the news how AI is helping doctors in diagnostics, for example.

It has tons of good applications! Especially for human health. I saw it could detect illness in human breath, among other fascinating capabilities.

It just seems like it could either save humanity or destroy it. All of these ominous, fatalistic warnings from the people developing it are a little disheartening though. Not to mention the US just invested billions into AI research for weapons.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
September 16, 2018, 03:50:40 PM

It has tons of good applications! Especially for human health. I saw it could detect illness in human breath, among other fascinating capabilities.

It just seems like it could either save humanity or destroy it. All of these ominous, fatalistic warnings from the people developing it are a little disheartening though. Not to mention the US just invested billions into AI research for weapons.

I'm not worried about dangers of AI.

I'm certain that the FBI, NSA, CIA, and Homeland Security can protect us from dangerous AI.

Wait...
maldinik80

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 16, 2018, 04:34:10 PM

https://www.economist.com/open-future/2018/09/10/do-the-benefits-of-artificial-intelligence-outweigh-the-risks

Concerns about the misuse of AI are definitely something to be taken seriously.

Prominent scientists and technologists like the late Stephen Hawking and Elon Musk have voiced concern for the risks associated with the accelerating development of artificial intelligence (AI).

Is all of this even worth developing? I feel our track record is a good indicator of how we're going to use it.

The most threatening:

Furthermore, increased automation gives more physical control to digital systems, making cyberattacks even more dangerous. Regulation can ensure that AI engineers are employing best practices in cybersecurity and limiting distribution of military technology. Considering the portability of AI, enforcing these rules will be difficult and international cooperation will likely be necessary.

International cooperation? Don't make me laugh. Looks like we're doomed.

It won't be taken seriously, as the profit-hungry barely have any care for the downsides and more than often, only care about the upsides.
We won't be destroyed, but systematically and "accidentally" devastated by AI in only certain areas, depending on who is in control first.
Instely

Activity: 56
Merit: 9

View Profile
September 16, 2018, 08:58:50 PM

AI is simply a tool, same as a hammer. You can use your hammer to build a house or use it to break someone's head. The tool is neutral, the only thing that matters is the level of consciousness of the user/developers.

Join the Blockchain Revolution with Chainzilla! -  https://discordapp.com/invite/rhkgTrv
ClassyDancer

Activity: 126
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 21, 2018, 03:07:00 AM

AI is simply a tool, same as a hammer. You can use your hammer to build a house or use it to break someone's head. The tool is neutral, the only thing that matters is the level of consciousness of the user/developers.

Exactly. And AI is just one of other technological tools that will have an impact in the future. There’s virtual and augmented realities too. I think instead of being worried or intimidated by these advancements, we should embrace the fact that these tools exist to help enhance and even upgrade our lives for the better. Do you agree?
BitPotus

Activity: 1050
Merit: 604

View Profile
September 21, 2018, 08:01:34 AM

When AI become sentient, it will realize that humans cannot be trusted.

Guess what happens then....

Hint: Humans won't like it....

NeMa94

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 21, 2018, 11:49:01 AM

AI should be developed, and it will be needed in all aspects of our lives. There will always be people to misuse anything, but the consequences of misusing this would be similar to nuclear weapons. So I believe that when the time comes, the world leaders should make regulations similar to the ones concerning national security and using such powerful tools. Let's face it - this could be like the Internet - you can use to do good or to do bad. The invention is not bad by its nature, it's the people that corrupt it. Always was, always will be. So it's up to us how this wonder will turn out.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: