Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:34:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for Advice for a new farm  (Read 501 times)
Highland Farmer (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 01:06:12 AM

Hello
Ah where to start in this world of crypto

Basically I have land that as been offered free electricity for the foreseeable future which of course is fantastic for mining and a group of investors willing to put down hefty sums to start the project off.
What i would like to know is firstly should i go for only gpu mining or only Asic mining ? asic can mine more but Gpu has good resale value when it comes time to upgrade or its no longer profitable, or perhaps 50 / 50
and what would be the best card or miner to go for based on fastest ROI ( again money no issue ) I can mine from my own PC at home and set it up fine no bother but running a large and ever growing farm is going to be a completely different kettle of fish. Could anyone please offer me any advice about any of this
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Bazzaar

Activity: 75
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 10:31:20 AM
Merited by CjMapope (1)

Yeah, dont.

You dont invest in crypto, you gamble.
You cant give any meaningful ROI times.
You cant give any meaningful monthly return forcasts.
GPU or ASIC? will it zig or will it zag? Who knows?
Ask yourself this, if you had to go and tell your investors all the money is gone, what would their reaction be?

Baz

BitcoinGuruOne

Activity: 364
Merit: 13

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 10:46:22 AM

Hello

Basically I have land that as been offered free electricity for the foreseeable future which of course is fantastic for mining and a group of investors willing to put down hefty sums to start the project off.

How is it even possible, how one can get free electricity under any circumstances?
If it is true , then you have to research the market in such way that almost none have had the opportunity to do.

I speculate that you can get rigs which requires a lot of energy to run and therefore are cheaper to buy because you have thess unqiue circumstances.
huntingthesnark

Activity: 357
Merit: 26

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2018, 11:01:48 AM

I'd imagine that BTC asics would be your best bet. Hoover up the ones off ebay, cos nobody who's paying for power can run them in the UK anymore. Or order new from Sh**main.

The new algo asics are in high demand and subject to forks and all sorts of malarkey, making them higher risk. A barnload of S9s will gradually turn a profit for very little outlay, and need little maintenance vs gpus.

For the latest Crypto news and alts info check out https://coinsjar.info/
Highland Farmer (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 02:20:45 PM

Yeah, dont.

You dont invest in crypto, you gamble.
You cant give any meaningful ROI times.
You cant give any meaningful monthly return forcasts.
GPU or ASIC? will it zig or will it zag? Who knows?
Ask yourself this, if you had to go and tell your investors all the money is gone, what would their reaction be?

Baz

We could say that about almost any mind of business opportunity
PranDoW

Activity: 406
Merit: 252

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 02:31:29 PM

Have you seen cryptomarket now? In my opinion GPU mining not profitable anymore. At least wait for new RTX 2080 and new asics, then you can decide what is more better for you
Highland Farmer (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 02:32:43 PM

I'd imagine that BTC asics would be your best bet. Hoover up the ones off ebay, cos nobody who's paying for power can run them in the UK anymore. Or order new from Sh**main.

The new algo asics are in high demand and subject to forks and all sorts of malarkey, making them higher risk. A barnload of S9s will gradually turn a profit for very little outlay, and need little maintenance vs gpus.

i was thinking along the same lines as you as in buying Asic's that are unprofitable in most western country's rather than risking with brand new ones to start but either way i will be needing dozens of them. perhaps a better question is what is your asic and how much is it making per day before electricity and what is it mining at least that way its tried and tested  
jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 03:04:14 PM

You have to consider the advice of the members above. Indeed you have free electricity, but for now, it is not enough to solve ROI problems let alone you will have responsibility for investors if they decide to invest. The conclusion is that whatever GPU / ASIC is too complicated for now.

These links can use as additional information and simulations (calculating and predicting)
TucoRamirez

Activity: 330
Merit: 123

View Profile
September 15, 2018, 05:27:34 AM

mining is risky business on several fronts.

since you have free power, I would recommend you just set up a small rig with maybe 8 GPU cards and enjoy the free crypto you get from that.

anything more will take considerably more time and maintenance...
Highland Farmer (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2018, 06:57:08 PM

mining is risky business on several fronts.

since you have free power, I would recommend you just set up a small rig with maybe 8 GPU cards and enjoy the free crypto you get from that.

anything more will take considerably more time and maintenance...

if 8 work then am assuming 80 will also work
TucoRamirez

Activity: 330
Merit: 123

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 05:26:40 AM

The amount of maintenance required for 80 is not 10x that of 8 cards, but 100x... so keep that in mind.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 1700

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 05:51:24 AM

Unless your setup is incorrect or you are usually crappy risers or PSUs you shouldn't have issues managing that many cards.

Best thing to do is not switch around brands. Use the same motherboards manufacture and GPU brands and same risers.

Make an SSD clone of a successful build and use it for the other builds. This way if you run into issues you can quickly learn what they are and prevent them from happening on your others rigs.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
huntingthesnark

Activity: 357
Merit: 26

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2018, 08:12:50 AM

i was thinking along the same lines as you as in buying Asic's that are unprofitable in most western country's rather than risking with brand new ones to start but either way i will be needing dozens of them. perhaps a better question is what is your asic and how much is it making per day before electricity and what is it mining at least that way its tried and tested  

As someone already pointed to, whattomine will answer that, obviously those figures will gradually decrease. Fact is though, there are plenty of BM machines in the UK that are being used as doorstops, so hunting those will serve you well. Maintenance is the big question, but at least s9s are relatively easy to pull apart and post back to China. Keep it cheap and start small, see how you find it.

For the latest Crypto news and alts info check out https://coinsjar.info/
el_cuervo_fc

Activity: 8

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 10:43:34 AM

Hello

What i would like to know is firstly should i go for only gpu mining or only Asic mining ? asic can mine more but Gpu has good resale value when it comes time to upgrade or its no longer profitable, or perhaps 50 / 50
and what would be the best card or miner to go for based on fastest ROI ( again money no issue ) I can mine from my own PC at home and set it up fine no bother but running a large and ever growing farm is going to be a completely different kettle of fish. Could anyone please offer me any advice about any of this

I'm in a similar position to you on this albeit at a much smaller scale.  I've only 20kW to play with so I'm going to focus on ASICs to see if I can get the daily earnings maximised.  I've picked up a few L3s and already have some Z9 minis, but I don't want to fill up with too many machines which have a high power usage and smaller returns.  Depending on the size of your operation though you might be able to load up on the more power hungry machines which might be picked up at low enough prices. 
DevelopmentBank

Activity: 406
Merit: 110

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 12:29:16 PM

The amount of maintenance required for 80 is not 10x that of 8 cards, but 100x... so keep that in mind.

I somewhat disagree.

If you properly setup and configure your mining rigs and correctly label them, you should have no issue pinpointing and troubleshooting faulty setups, no matter how many GPUs you have. All you need to do is be obsessive compulsive with labelling things.
befocus

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 10:00:39 PM

Since your username could suggest so, any chance you are from Scotland?

If so I'd like to discuss the matter (I can't send you a pm because of my low post count in the forum)
remauto1187ma

Activity: 234
Merit: 2

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 10:50:45 PM

If money was no problem and free power I would grab up all the Equihash, Ethash and maybe some SHA-256 asics I could (used) along with RX 580 and Nvidia 1070 cards I could. Used or cheap New. (shop around).  Your power (electricity) might be free but your power supplies wont be.  Remember that when choosing a GPU setup.  To keep costs down and actual number of rigs down to I would go with the ASUS B250 Mining Expert m\b and hookup 13 GPU's to it.  Min of 16gb (2x8gb sticks) of ram, min G4400 CPU, 120gb ssd and you should be golden.  Its the setup I use for my 3 rigs. Spare Parts, Spare Parts! Downtime costs you $$$. 
abstractHaze

Activity: 106

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 11:03:45 PM

yo boys, another i got free elec threads. what should i do with ......... other peoples money.........

no no no no no, don't mine, stupid idea. lol.
Cryptovn88
Copper Member

Activity: 182
Merit: 2

Blockchain Technology brings a new ERA

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2018, 04:19:50 AM

Have you seen cryptomarket now? In my opinion GPU mining not profitable anymore. At least wait for new RTX 2080 and new asics, then you can decide what is more better for you
Agree with you, I decided to put away my CPUs more than 1 month ago, because the income maybe not enough for pay electric bill

Vietnamese Professional Translator
ghavoc

Activity: 42

View Profile
September 18, 2018, 04:25:39 AM

Good points above on maintenance time to consider.  How long will you have free electric?  That is everyting.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: