Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:48:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Helium miners  (Read 129 times)
adiemus123 (OP)

Activity: 43
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 05, 2021, 02:39:35 PM

Hello community, I have a question concerning helium miners, specifically the Panther x1.
Are they afraid of cold, It's hitting -5 celsius as of today, in the following weeks it will be atleast -20 celsius.
If i post my Panther x1 helium miner in the balcony or hang it on the building wall with that temperature, can it get damaged or can it drastically slow down or temperature doesn't effect it at all ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
miner29

Activity: 1264
Merit: 138

View Profile
December 05, 2021, 03:51:35 PM

Manual state 0-50c operation temperature and storage (not powered) -40c ~ 85c.

So according to the manual no it is not designed to operate below 0c.
Now will that break it or not is unknown but it could be an issue with components on the board that may not operate correctly.

I would be more worried about the unit being outside as it is not in a weather proof housing. 

Why not just run the antenna outside and have the unit inside?  This way you get the outside exposure but the electronics are safe and dry indoors.

And the ambient heat it puts off will not be wasted but instead help warm the room its in (slightly).
adiemus123 (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2021, 05:15:30 PM

Thanks for your reply. The heat it omits is nothing at all really, it uses 5 w electricity, 26 times less than a regular RTX 3070.
Also keeping the miner inside and only the antenna outside, the cable between the miner and antenna has to be really short, otherwise i lose signal and i lose reward amount.
Hm, looks like there isnt a good choice here yet.
Count_Frackula

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2021, 07:02:16 PM

I've seen outdoor enclosures for some of the popular helium miners, I suggest you purchase one of those if you want to keep it outdoors.
Aside from that, Rokland makes some nice, low-loss antenna cables that will help out if you want to keep it inside.  They make a 10' cable that has only a 0.4 DBi loss, and a 16' cable with a 0.6 DBi loss.  10-15 feet (~3-5m) should be sufficient for you to keep your miner inside and the antenna outside - which would solve both of your problems.  Look for MPD-400 or higher cables to stay low-loss.

Rent my SHA-256 rigs on Mining Rig Rentals.
adiemus123 (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2021, 07:16:35 PM

I've seen outdoor enclosures for some of the popular helium miners, I suggest you purchase one of those if you want to keep it outdoors.
Aside from that, Rokland makes some nice, low-loss antenna cables that will help out if you want to keep it inside.  They make a 10' cable that has only a 0.4 DBi loss, and a 16' cable with a 0.6 DBi loss.  10-15 feet (~3-5m) should be sufficient for you to keep your miner inside and the antenna outside - which would solve both of your problems.  Look for MPD-400 or higher cables to stay low-loss.

MPD-400 or LMR-400 is better ? I've been advised to use LMR-400, wondering which is better now after your comment. Fairly new to helium miners, any advice is appreciated greatly.
Bitcoin_Arena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1788

฿itcoin for all, All for ฿itcoin.

View Profile
December 05, 2021, 09:21:15 PM

Also keeping the miner inside and only the antenna outside, the cable between the miner and antenna has to be really short, otherwise i lose signal and i lose reward amount.
How about weather proofing the miner so that you can keep it close to the antenna since the cable is short?
I believe the antenna is weather proof... Right?

https://panther.global/download/user_manual_en.pdf

This subreddit might be a good place for you since there is a large group of guys operating Helium miners there - https://www.reddit.com/r/HeliumNetwork/

Someone posted about how he weather proofed his miner - https://www.reddit.com/r/HeliumNetwork/comments/qyhkgg/second_post_second_set_up_weather_proof_and/

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Count_Frackula

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2021, 11:31:49 PM

MPD-400 or LMR-400 is better ? I've been advised to use LMR-400, wondering which is better now after your comment. Fairly new to helium miners, any advice is appreciated greatly.

I'm unsure of the difference.  The link above shows estimated signal loss on all their cables.

Rent my SHA-256 rigs on Mining Rig Rentals.
Gorosden

Activity: 518
Merit: 30

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
December 06, 2021, 11:33:33 AM

I heard that mining helium is more profitable than mining Ethereum with graphic cards, it's such a shame that I can't buy a helium miner because it's not supported in Africa countries as we speak, it's a big shame as I waited over and over for support but no luck

Bitcoin_Arena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1788

฿itcoin for all, All for ฿itcoin.

View Profile
December 06, 2021, 11:36:15 PM

I heard that mining helium is more profitable than mining Ethereum with graphic cards, it's such a shame that I can't buy a helium miner because it's not supported in Africa countries as we speak, it's a big shame as I waited over and over for support but no luck
You just have to pray that more people adopted the network and spread the network coverage in Africa. I just checked out the network coverage and I can see some hotspots in South Africa though not yet concentrated but it's surely growing. I think it's much better than It could have been 6 months ago so If you are in the South African region, you be able to mine some HT soon

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██