Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:21:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Merit system causes more SPAM not less  (Read 763 times)
Camster (OP)

Activity: 180
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2018, 06:00:41 PM
Merited by MagicSmoker (1)

So here is my theory.

Newbie comes onto the forum and starts snooping around because he heard about bounties.  He wants to make some cash and he wants some cash right now.  He starts trying to sign up and realizes he needs to be a jr member to participate.  Here comes your first influx of SPAM.  

We are now a jr member.  Things are looking good.  You sign up for your first signature campaign.  Earning time is right around the corner.  A few weeks in you realize the Hero members are getting massive stakes and by the end of the campaign they will get all the rewards.  You think to hell with this I'm gonna rank up.  Now the SPAM really starts flying.  

About a day or two into this the new user starts to realize something isn't correct.  Why am I not ranking up.  This is where he learns about the merit system.  The new user has a bad day as he realizes he has been locked out of this game.  The game has been centralized by the upper members.

The new user quits.  He says fuck this noise I'm out.  

A day later he realizes why he came here in the first place.  He needs damn money.  So the light bulb goes off.  Well if a hero member gets 8 stake and a jr member gets 1 there is only one thing left to do if I'm to make it as a bounty hunter.  Multiple accounts!

We probably have hundreds of people spamming the hell out of this board with multiple accounts and the merit system does nothing to stop the spam and it may actually cause more of it.  

Unintended consequences?

What do you guys think?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TBboys

Activity: 126
Merit: 15

Fast, Smart, Trustworthy

View Profile
September 16, 2018, 06:10:39 PM

If don't have merit system, you should be a Full member now,but now you are just a Jr.member, which is a good proof that the Merit system is valid.
Check out your posting history. Many of the posts you posted in the early days are spams, and I believe there are millions of accounts like you in the Bounty section.
Very good, the Merit system has successfully blocked most members like you.

FST Network   Fast, Smart, Trustworthy.   Bounty
Medium   Facebook   Twitter   Telegram
sanimu461

Activity: 115
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 16, 2018, 06:14:10 PM

I personally strongly agree with the merit system
because it fosters posting posts that are better quality than useless spam Undecided
hotforblockchain

Activity: 266
Merit: 26

View Profile
September 16, 2018, 06:15:11 PM

So here is my theory.

Newbie comes onto the forum and starts snooping around because he heard about bounties.  He wants to make some cash and he wants some cash right now.  He starts trying to sign up and realizes he needs to be a jr member to participate.  Here comes your first influx of SPAM.  

We are now a jr member.  Things are looking good.  You sign up for your first signature campaign.  Earning time is right around the corner.  A few weeks in you realize the Hero members are getting massive stakes and by the end of the campaign they will get all the rewards.  You think to hell with this I'm gonna rank up.  Now the SPAM really starts flying.  

About a day or two into this the new user starts to realize something isn't correct.  Why am I not ranking up.  This is where he learns about the merit system.  The new user has a bad day as he realizes he has been locked out of this game.  The game has been centralized by the upper members.

A day later he realizes why he came here in the first place.  He needs damn money.  So the light bulb goes off.  Well if a hero member gets 8 stake and a jr member gets 1 there is only one thing left to do if I'm to make it as a bounty hunter.  Multiple accounts!

We probably have hundreds of people spamming the hell out of this board with multiple accounts and the merit system does nothing to stop the spam and it may actually cause more of it.  

Unintended consequences?

What do you guys think?

This is nothing new and have been discussed several times.
This fact will not make merits go away, it would most likely make other changes to be made.
Several high ranking members have already discussed some ideas in META, whihc in my mind would be a HUGE plus for forum:
  • Disable signatures for all Jr.Members who have no merit at all.
  • Or disable them for good.

joshsmith15

Activity: 65

View Profile
September 16, 2018, 06:15:21 PM

Not sure if it causes more spam but seems like a pretty poor idea, made it pretty much impossible to level up, certainly past member would be very hard as you need so much merit and I don't see much being given.
cognos

Activity: 47

View Profile
September 16, 2018, 06:19:50 PM

So here is my theory.

Unintended consequences?

What do you guys think?
Remove the upper members and their authoritative bs and you will find this user becomes a lot better forum-citizen than the truth you have exposed.
BitProNews

Activity: 376
Merit: 103

View Profile
September 16, 2018, 06:20:48 PM
Merited by dbshck (1)

First, your topic doesn't belong to this section, please move it to Meta Board or it can be deleted by Mods.
Second:
- BTT is not a platform to rise funds (it shouldn't be), neither an easy way to earn some frics. It's forum where you can learn and improve your knowledge in the cryptocurrencies ecosystem.
- Newbies should understand that options for them are limited so in the way to understand their positions, they should carefully read the rules of the forum and the merit/rank systems as there is a full board dedicated for them to well understand how does things function in this forum.
- Even having multiple accounts, will not generate a lot of profit compared to the hard work needed to control over them all, as it won't also help to generate merits in order to self-help ranking up.

Newbie comes onto the forum and starts snooping around because he heard about bounties.  He wants to make some cash and he wants some cash right now.  He starts trying to sign up and realizes he needs to be a jr member to participate.  Here comes your first influx of SPAM. 

We are now a jr member.  Things are looking good.  You sign up for your first signature campaign.  Earning time is right around the corner.  A few weeks in you realize the Hero members are getting massive stakes and by the end of the campaign they will get all the rewards.  You think to hell with this I'm gonna rank up.  Now the SPAM really starts flying. 

About a day or two into this the new user starts to realize something isn't correct.  Why am I not ranking up.  This is where he learns about the merit system.  The new user has a bad day as he realizes he has been locked out of this game.  The game has been centralized by the upper members.

The new user quits.  He says fuck this noise I'm out. 

A day later he realizes why he came here in the first place.  He needs damn money.  So the light bulb goes off.  Well if a hero member gets 8 stake and a jr member gets 1 there is only one thing left to do if I'm to make it as a bounty hunter.  Multiple accounts!
Only stupids will loose time doing this..

The merit system is not fully integrated as it still needs a lot of adjustments. Follow the discussion here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2818350.0
Bessta

Activity: 560
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 16, 2018, 06:23:06 PM

If don't have merit system, you should be a Full member now,but now you are just a Jr.member, which is a good proof that the Merit system is valid.
Check out your posting history. Many of the posts you posted in the early days are spams, and I believe there are millions of accounts like you in the Bounty section.

I also checked his posts and it seems he is posting really well and there is a sense in his posts. I also think there is still a fault in this merit system but for me there is also a good side in it.

HYDAX EXCHANGE BOUNTY ANN
A Secure, Efficient, Simple Cryptocurrency Exchange
Exchange Futures & Options IEO APP Community
TBboys

Activity: 126
Merit: 15

Fast, Smart, Trustworthy

View Profile
September 16, 2018, 06:31:53 PM

I also checked his posts and it seems he is posting really well and there is a sense in his posts. I also think there is still a fault in this merit system but for me there is also a good side in it.

Are you sure you read all of his posting history?
Look at this page, all the proof of joining airdrops and bounties:https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=1041404;sa=showPosts;start=120
Of course, I also admit that the quality of his post has gradually improved, so I think that as long as he insists on doing so, he can still improve the rank.

FST Network   Fast, Smart, Trustworthy.   Bounty
Medium   Facebook   Twitter   Telegram
megusen

Activity: 308
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 16, 2018, 06:42:56 PM

So here is my theory.

Unintended consequences?

What do you guys think?
I agree with the merit system. Not only reduces spammers. But also making the quality of a new token means the price. For the spammers leave it alone, because they will be confused with their work system. Not that having a lot of accounts will get a lot of money. But this confuses itself. Having only one account but an account and continuing to work will make it more meaningful. Because the results will not betray the process. I have an account with a post of more than 800 and more than 200 activities but I still have Jr.Member. The beginning I was sad. But this is a new challenge to make useful posts for the crypto lover community
BTCreward

Activity: 574
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 16, 2018, 07:22:08 PM

In theory, the merit system should encourage people to write better comments and create useful posts. It seems to me that the idea was not quite successful, but nevertheless it was able to make people think that they write.

pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 1559

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2018, 07:33:37 PM
Merited by dbshck (3)

1 - When you need to make 50x more posts with multiple junior account to earn the same money as you would with 1 Hero account - that should motivate any reasonable person to focus on quality, earn merits, rank up and make it easier for yourself. Unless you're intellectually incapable of quality posting.

2 - If someone's here only to maximise his profits, he would spam more if there was no Merit system, knowing that all his multiple accounts will rank-up eventually, disregard of post quality.

3 - Assuming there's a limited number of spots in signature campaigns for junior members, market soon will get saturated and most junior accounts would end up idle.

ps. I've noticed increased number of "smart post" - low rank members spamming with copy/paste of smart sounding content (usually from press articles/blogs) in attempt to get some merit points (unsuccessfully). You could say Merit system is responsible for this particular kind of spam, but it also suggests the system works.

ps2 - Move to "Meta"

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
qtronix

Activity: 596

View Profile
September 16, 2018, 08:29:01 PM

It is possible and correct that the merit system was introduced, but there is one big problem. Due to the fact that many do not want their work to achieve merit, they just buy it. Therefore, the higher the members of this forum are not willing to share them, because why would they give away merit for free, if it can be sold.
r1s2g3

Activity: 742
Merit: 395

I am alive but in hibernation.

View Profile
September 16, 2018, 08:41:43 PM

So here is my theory.
 Here comes your first influx of SPAM.  
Now the SPAM really starts flying.
Somebody started with spam, think of more spam for ranking up. Will continue spam even after ranking up.

After becoming Hero Member, he realized , how much money he will get if he has multiple hero member , so he started farming more accounts.

Unintended consequences?

What do you guys think?

In turn it made sure that  spammer do not rank up and for some it become motivation to stop spamming and try to rank up.

I am alive
hubballi

Activity: 882
Merit: 297

View Profile
September 16, 2018, 08:48:46 PM

Merit system have seriously decreased the account trading as now the account farmers cannot create the new accounts and just post one or two message in between the activity period and like this they are creating potential accounts to sell in good price. Now this is stopped as each account have to get a minimum merit to reach that account rank and this merit are given by the high rank users who have been in this community from long and they give merit to only good post and not the spammers.

Ramtapsbtc

Activity: 364

View Profile
September 16, 2018, 08:50:10 PM

You have a point but even if you are a hero member you can still think of making an alt account because greed will always prevail to humans, sad to say but this is true in my opinion.
Crypdon

Activity: 616
Merit: 11

View Profile
September 16, 2018, 08:54:10 PM

I think the Merit system is good, but the amount of merit needed to rank up needs to be adjusted. Going from a junior to a member is manageable and certainly the right number, but anything after that is virtually impossible.
CryptoToxicAvenger

Activity: 644
Merit: 111

View Profile
September 16, 2018, 08:59:18 PM

I can't say how effective the merit system works, but the whole idea is good. I believe that those who really want to achieve a high rank will be able to do it. In the end, there are topics where they give out merit how a certain task or something. So there are enough ways to get merit.
Awoben

Activity: 236
Merit: 3

View Profile
September 16, 2018, 09:28:20 PM

The merit systems did a wonderful job in sanitizing the forum of anyhow post.  We all know it's difficult to have a perfect system, I believe an improvement can be made to reduce multiple creation of accounts and to monitor the upgrade of exiting accounts

Look at this page, all the proof of joining airdrops and bounties:https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=1041404;sa=showPosts;start=120
Of course, I also admit that the quality of his post has gradually improved, so I think that as long as he insists on doing so, he can still improve the rank.

I did check out his post too  It's quite good
MagicSmoker

Activity: 420
Merit: 182

View Profile
September 16, 2018, 09:38:46 PM

I generally don't give out merits to anyone who has a lot of bounty and airdrop reports in their history, but the OP seems to be making an effort to improve his post quality and people have been especially generous to me the last few days as I reached and crossed 100 merits so I'm spreading the love around.

However, if the OP goes back to his shameful, bounty-loving ways then you can bet I won't make the same mistake twice.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: