Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 01:59:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The new rule (1 Merit for Jr. Member) is already reducing spam  (Read 3819 times)
iillaa

Activity: 196
Merit: 5

A MAN SEEKING FOR KNOWLEDGE

View Profile
December 12, 2018, 08:35:15 PM

in addition to the new rule . i guess the reason why we may have  low number of posts is the current market situation ..  and that is because even telegram groups that used to be so active are now dying slowly :/

Cheesy
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
InvoKing
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1065

✋(▀Ĺ̯ ▀-͠ )

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2018, 10:30:53 AM

in addition to the new rule . i guess the reason why we may have  low number of posts is the current market situation ..  and that is because even telegram groups that used to be so active are now dying slowly :/

It is related to reduced bot activity mainly. For the telegram thing, it is related to altcoins price drop and the fear of investing in that community.

PSPD:law and order enforcement!
Press Section Police Department!
LoyceV (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 16270

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2018, 10:28:02 AM

Update:
  • In the first week after the announcement, 286408 posts were made (-19.05%).
  • In the second week after the announcement, 280503 posts were made (-20.72%).
  • In the third week after the announcement, 259694 posts were made (-26.60%).
  • In the fourth week after the announcement, 263685 posts were made (-25.47%).
  • In the fifth week after the announcement, 240339 posts were made (-32.07%).
  • In the sixth week after the announcement, 240045 posts were made (-32.15%).
  • In the seventh week after the announcement, 219689 posts were made (-37.91%).
  • In the eighth week after the announcement, 217774 posts were made (-38.45%).
  • In the nineth week after the announcement, 215135 posts were made (-39.20%).
  • In the tenth week after the announcement, 199486 posts were made (-43.62%).
  • In the eleventh week after the announcement, 177677 posts were made (-49.78%).
  • In the twelfth week after the announcement, 159331 posts were made (-54.97%).
  • In the thirteenth week after the announcement, 144981 posts were made (-59.02%).

I don't think this large drop is still caused by the new Merit rules. I'll keep updating this list, because I expect the post count to go up once Bitcoin starts going up in price.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
iillaa

Activity: 196
Merit: 5

A MAN SEEKING FOR KNOWLEDGE

View Profile
December 17, 2018, 11:25:03 AM

It is related to reduced bot activity mainly. For the telegram thing, it is related to altcoins price drop and the fear of investing in that community.

the main purpose for these bots is to spam on ico bounties and get free tokens = free $ ..  while this market is  doing so  bad  for btc and altcoins  . the data show that is doing terrible for icos as well .

also joining icos / bounties  is just waste of time in this market since it is not profitable with all these scam icos or legit icos that are not able to rise the soft cap ... even those who success in getting the soft cap .. get dumped in the first exchange  which leave bounties hunters  with very small profits  for alot of work and time spending for legit ones  or  for lot of spam and shitposting for those who don't care about the forum .

i expect the spam to return when the market situation  improve  and the bounty business return to be profitable again .

Cheesy
Gloverwrt

Activity: 126
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 17, 2018, 11:55:16 AM

I don't think this large drop is still caused by the new Merit rules. I'll keep updating this list, because I expect the post count to go up once Bitcoin starts going up in price.

Initially the merit system might have had a significant effect in the drop in posts, as lots of demoted jr members had no reason to keep actively posting in the forum. We were left with those determined to earn merits and those complaining about the unfair system.

The bad market of the past month has reduced interest of most in bitcoin and cryptocurrency related content.
I also expect a rise is activity with that of bitcoin.
Marshall14

Activity: 112
Merit: 20

View Profile
December 17, 2018, 12:08:55 PM

while this market is  doing so  bad  for btc and altcoins the data show that is doing terrible for icos as well
It's obvious,what do you of expect of coins that are not established and lack a focal point of what the blockchain technology is all about,when the bitcoin that is king is declining daily,you should expect ICO's to crumble immediately,which is exactly what's happening at the moment
This ICO's need the bitcoin/market to improve,or else only the genuinely good ones would be able to survive
slocker

Activity: 490
Merit: 134

View Profile
December 19, 2018, 07:21:53 AM
Merited by Daniel91 (1)

Initially the merit system might have had a significant effect in the drop in posts, as lots of demoted jr members had no reason to keep actively posting in the forum. We were left with those determined to earn merits and those complaining about the unfair system.

The bad market of the past month has reduced interest of most in bitcoin and cryptocurrency related content.
I also expect a rise is activity with that of bitcoin.

In one way this is true if we take price for parameter. On other hand many see that earning merit is not that simple, you cant get merit just for post something you need to pick the right time for it. This system is good and so far made results. Reading little and see that some suggest we have demerit maybe this could effect something as well. Or we will have on the other hand again new users complaining about unfair system (this is something that I have read here that most newbies and jr. members as well as demoted jr. member were complaining about).

No matter what happens this will be in one way another good solution for the forum to have some good post and another way to reduce spam, cuz think it could be good idea if someone goes to - merit he could be maybe restricted to post once every 2,3 or four hours difference.
Buttermellow

Activity: 462
Merit: 14

View Profile
December 19, 2018, 09:03:57 AM

It was good to reduce spam in the forum. However, if you will going to check and see there are still a lot of work to reduce those spam because until now the problem is still a problem. We could rely on the good results of the statistics but the posts that are visually shown in some threads were an eyesore to the eyes and it even contribute to almost 50% of it in the total number of replies in the SMT.
darklus123

Activity: 1246
Merit: 588

View Profile
December 19, 2018, 10:15:40 AM

Update:

I still think that it is, since I have also noticed the difference seeing threads with no more posts from newbies that might still be a good indication, you were right tho to just atleast wait for the price to go up but IMO your stats still relates to the current new rule.

If ever that the price will go up and the newbies will be swarming up again then that forfeits your data
LoyceV (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2018, 10:30:01 AM

Update:
  • In the eleventh week after the announcement, 177677 posts were made (-49.78%).
  • In the thirteenth week after the announcement, 144981 posts were made (-59.02%).
  • In the fourteenth week after the announcement, 139691 posts were made (-60,52%).

The number of posts is still dropping, but less fast. I'm curious to see if it goes up again once crypto keeps recovering as it did in the past week.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
LoyceV (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2019, 10:07:50 AM

Update:
  • In the fourteenth week after the announcement, 139691 posts were made (-60,52%).
  • In the fifteenth week after the announcement, 124306 posts were made (-64,87%).

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
S_Therapist

Activity: 308
Merit: 277

View Profile
January 01, 2019, 02:37:34 PM

I'm curious to see if it goes up again once crypto keeps recovering as it did in the past week.
In that case, you can collect some data during ATH, during BTC at $10k and the current situation. Then you will have a little idea how much it has been decreased due to price crash and how much for the new 1 merit system.

Exchase
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
CRYPTO EXCHANGE  │  MARGIN TRADING  │  TOKEN LISTING
CRYPTO-WALLET  │  CRYPTO-GAMES  │  CRYPTO LOANS
SOCIAL TRADING  │  P2P EXCHANGE  │  OTC TRADING
MONEY TRANSFER SYSTEM  │  BINARY OPTIONS
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Timelord2o67

Activity: 370
Merit: 39

Ditty! £ $ ₹ € ¥ ¢ ≠ ÷ ™

View Profile
September 12, 2020, 11:16:28 PM

Sorry to necro bump this thread, have you continued to study the decline of posting over time?  It'd be interesting to see if there was a rise during the Covid-19 outbreak and subsequent lock-downs.

.★☆★ UNPAID ADVERTISEMENTS: ★☆★ ❖ Get Paid in BitCoin .
.CoinPlaza Exchange (IT)  ★☆★ .
.❖ Win Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in   .
FIFA worldcup

Activity: 1134
Merit: 105

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2020, 04:52:43 AM

Sorry to necro bump this thread, have you continued to study the decline of posting over time?  It'd be interesting to see if there was a rise during the Covid-19 outbreak and subsequent lock-downs.

You can find the past 7 days data here. The post made in last 7 days is only 45543 which is very low as compare to the last data shared on this thread.

Source: https://loyce.club/active/7d.html

Active users and top posters on Bitcointalk.org in the past 7 days:

Total: 45543 posts (6962 users)
LoyceV (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2020, 08:39:54 AM
Merited by friends1980 (1)

have you continued to study the decline of posting over time?
No. I stopped keeping track when the weekly number of posts dropped a lot.
We're currently at -87.1% of the 353813 weekly posts mentioned when I started this topic. I guess this result is a combination of the Merit system and the demise of ICOs.

It'd be interesting to see if there was a rise during the Covid-19 outbreak and subsequent lock-downs.
For the last year, you can quite easily find the post count at the start of each week in my post archive. Without checking the data, I haven't seen much effect from the lockdown when I occasionally checked weekly data.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
friends1980
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1059

nutildah-III / NFT2021-04-01

View Profile
September 13, 2020, 09:04:08 AM

I guess this result is a combination of the Merit system and the demise of ICOs.

Which leads us to another interesting question: is the Merit system responsible for the demise of ICOs? Does this mean the Merit system has indirectly reduced the number of scams - supposing that genuine "honest" ICOs could survive even without bounty campaigns and Merit posters? Maybe that subject deserves a separate thread and study... Cool

nutildah-III - First BitcoinTalk NFT Transaction ever - 2021-04-01 [666 fBTC]
SquirrelJulietGarden

Activity: 1260
Merit: 723

View Profile
September 13, 2020, 09:10:32 AM

I occasionally checked weekly data.
I clicked on top posters, newbie, brandnew and their posts are in Off-topic. Why do they post much in Off-topic? 150, 200, 300 posts in 7 days.  Huh

███▄▀██▄▄
░░▄████▄▀████ ▄▄▄
░░████▄▄▄▄░░█▀▀
███ ██████▄▄▀█▌
░▄░░███▀████
░▐█░░███░██▄▄
░░▄▀░████▄▄▄▀█
░█░▄███▀████ ▐█
▀▄▄███▀▄██▄
░░▄██▌░░██▀
░▐█▀████ ▀██
░░█▌██████ ▀▀██▄
░░▀███
▄▄██▀▄███
▄▄▄████▀▄████▄░░
▀▀█░░▄▄▄▄████░░
▐█▀▄▄█████████
████▀███░░▄░
▄▄██░███░░█▌░
█▀▄▄▄████░▀▄░░
█▌████▀███▄░█░
▄██▄▀███▄▄▀
▀██░░▐██▄░░
██▀████▀█▌░
▄██▀▀██████▐█░░
███▀░░
LoyceV (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2020, 09:19:39 AM

is the Merit system responsible for the demise of ICOs?
Probably not, Twitter also started banning accounts for ICO spam, and after the large crypto price drop with 99% or more losses on BS tokens, I can imagine many people learned their lesson.

supposing that genuine "honest" ICOs could survive
Do they even exist? I consider (almost) all ICOs as money-grabbers for the creators. Much like the current defi hype, so maybe they didn't learn their lesson yet after all.

Why do they post much in Off-topic? 150, 200, 300 posts in 7 days.  Huh
See Rapid shitposting attack.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
jademaxsuy

Activity: 924
Merit: 220

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2020, 09:29:05 AM
Last edit: September 13, 2020, 11:07:49 AM by jademaxsuy

Probably not, Twitter also started banning accounts for ICO spam, and after the large crypto price drop with 99% or more losses on BS tokens, I can imagine many people learned their lesson.
Twitter also flooded with hastag for cryptocurrency and seeing this happen in their platform they acted upon immediately banning user with cryptocurrency hashtags or promoting ICO projects or any related to cryptocurrency. They pretty much know that most of the user promoting ICO are making fake twitter account another reason for them to ban these users. If there is a rule here in the forum like this prohibiting the user to promote scam related links which seem to be lot in other sections then I guess many users here will get ban. However, that is not a small job for the mods to do I guess. Anyway, I am glad to see that the forum had improve and has way better today compared before.
UserU

Activity: 1974
Merit: 527

FREE passive income eBook @ tinyurl.com/PIA10

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2020, 09:41:26 AM

Sorry to necro bump this thread, have you continued to study the decline of posting over time?  It'd be interesting to see if there was a rise during the Covid-19 outbreak and subsequent lock-downs.

I'd bet there's some spikes/ steady rise during the first few months Grin

.500 CASINO.██

▄

THE HOTTEST CRYPTO
CASINO & SPORTSBOOK
         ▄▄▄███████████
 ▄▄▄████████████████

▐████████████████████
 ██████████████████
 ▐██████████████████
 ▐█████████████████
  ██████████████████