Bitcoin Forum
February 21, 2020, 01:15:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 0.19.0.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ColdCard hardware wallet  (Read 899 times)
DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2019, 07:02:39 PM

I don't have a Trezor, but have a couple of Ledger Nano S wallets. One seemingly unique feature is the MicroSD slot. From their docs:

Why does it have a MicroSD slot?

The Coldcard can backup the seed into an encrypted file.
    New transactions to be signed, can be imported from the card.
    Public key data (xpub, receive addresses) can be written onto the card.
    Firmware upgrades can be done by copying the new firmware file onto a card.
    A skeleton Electrum wallet can be created on the card which allows Electrum to "pair" with the Coldcard, without it ever connecting to a USB port.

The second one, in particular is interesting, as it makes completely air-gapped transactions possible. I don't know of any others that can do that, at any price. There may be, I just don't know about them.

That is actually how I use it, I have a wallet on my phone that is hot. If it gets compromised it will suck but it's not end of the world money, it's not even car payment money, it's I bought something in the collectibles section of the forum money.

For the big spends, with my cold BTC storage, the wallet never touches the internet.

Only complaint really is the MicroSD. Yes it's used everywhere, but you can't plug it into your PC / laptop without the micro to full-size adapter. Yeah, I know not a big deal but it would have been nice to have a full size one.

Shameless plug, I do have an original cold card up for sale if you want it
New & sealed:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5126007

-Dave

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nanobtc

Activity: 409
Merit: 171

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2019, 06:04:08 AM

Not a bad deal there, really. I'm good on hardware wallets, I depend on cold wallets for real storage. What card storage would be more convenient for you? Many phones use that card, so it's handy in that aspect. Larger cards require/waste more circuit board real estate, and larger form factor.

Unwanted BTC? Dispose of them safely here: 
1ygT7WtmyJn756aBnoYUHMcsr7jAVhyT2
DaveF
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2019, 04:15:02 PM

Not a bad deal there, really. I'm good on hardware wallets, I depend on cold wallets for real storage. What card storage would be more convenient for you? Many phones use that card, so it's handy in that aspect. Larger cards require/waste more circuit board real estate, and larger form factor.

I would like full SD.

Yes phones use the microSD but most (all?) laptops that have built in card readers use full size SD.
Same with desktops, I don't know of one that has a micro SD slot, those that do have full size SD.
I have many micro to regular SD adapters around. 2 or 3 at my office, 2 or 3 at home, probably 1 at my parents, etc.

Can I actually locate them. That is an entirely different answer.

Take ColdCard out of fireproof lock box, insert microSD, create transaction, stand in middle of room going where is an adapter. I thought there was one on the desk, nope. Did I put any over here, nope. Kitchen table where I was working yesterday, nope. Oh, look there is one in the corner of the over there next to the pile of old cell phones.

-Dave

Baofeng

Activity: 1050
Merit: 792

View Profile
April 26, 2019, 04:03:16 AM

Here is the latest update:

https://twitter.com/COLDCARDwallet/status/1121444875386245120

Link to upgrade page: https://coldcardwallet.com/docs/

..bustadice..         ▄▄████████████▄▄
     ▄▄████████▀▀▀▀████████▄▄
   ▄███████████    ███████████▄
  █████    ████▄▄▄▄████    █████
 ██████    ████████▀▀██    ██████
██████████████████   █████████████
█████████████████▌  ▐█████████████
███    ██████████   ███████    ███
███    ████████▀   ▐███████    ███
██████████████      ██████████████
██████████████      ██████████████
 ██████████████▄▄▄▄██████████████
  ▀████████████████████████████▀
                     ▄▄███████▄▄
                  ▄███████████████▄
   ███████████  ▄████▀▀       ▀▀████▄
               ████▀      ██     ▀████
 ███████████  ████        ██       ████
             ████         ██        ████
███████████  ████     ▄▄▄▄██        ████
             ████     ▀▀▀▀▀▀        ████
 ███████████  ████                 ████
               ████▄             ▄████
   ███████████  ▀████▄▄       ▄▄████▀
                  ▀███████████████▀
                     ▀▀███████▀▀
           ▄██▄
           ████
            ██
            ▀▀
 ▄██████████████████████▄
██████▀▀██████████▀▀██████
█████    ████████    █████
█████▄  ▄████████▄  ▄█████
██████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
       ████████████
......Play......
nanobtc

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2019, 01:39:16 PM

Tx for info, Baofeng, I'll upgrade tonight. Love your radios, BTW.

DaveF
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2019, 11:27:40 PM

2.0.4 came out on May 13th

From ColdCard:
Release Notes (v2.0.3 – 2.0.4)

Transaction signing speed improved by about 3X.
    Will warn if miner's fee is over 5% of txn amount (was 1% before). Hard limit remains 10% (configurable, can be disabled completely).
    Robustness: Tighten stack-depth checking, increase heap size, shuffle some memory.
    Bugfix: Transactions with more than 10 outputs were not summarized correctly.
    Bugfix: Consolidating transactions that move UTXO within same wallet are shown better.
    Bugfix: Better recovery from too-complex transaction errors.
    "Don't forget your PIN" warning message is more bold now.
    (in 2.0.4) Bugfix: Clearing duress PIN would lead to a error screen.
    (in 2.0.4) Bugfix: Advanced > "Lock Down Seed" command didn't work correctly.
    (in 2.0.4) Bugfix: Importing seed words manually didn't work on second try (thanks @duck1123)

-Dave
DaveF
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2019, 11:10:13 PM

Firmware v2.1 is out

https://coldcardwallet.com/docs/upgrade

2019-06-26T1317-v2.1.0-coldcard.dfu released June 26, 2019.

Major release with Multisig support!
        New menu under: Settings > Multisig Wallets
        Lists all imported M-of-N wallets already setup
        Export, import for air-gapped creation
        Related settings and more
    Broad change: extended public key finger (XFP) values used to be shown in the wrong endian (byte swapped), and prefixed with 0x to indicate they were a number. In fact, they are a byte string and should be shown in network order. Everywhere you might be used to seeing your XFP value has been switched, so 0x0f056943 becomes 4369050F (all caps, no 0x prefix). Affected areas include:
        BIP39 password confirmation screen
        Advanced > View Identity screen
        Electrum skeleton wallet export (label of wallet)
        Dump public data file (text in file header)
        xfp command in ckcc CLI helper (can show opposite endian, if needed)
    Export skeleton wallets for Wasabi Wallet https://wasabiwallet.io/ to support air-gapped use.
    Summary file (public.txt) has been reworked to include more XPUB values and a warning about using addresses your blockchain-monitoring wallet might not be ready for.
    When BIP39 passphrase is given over USB, and approved, the new XFP is shown on-screen for reference.
    Use with Electrum will require our updated plugin changes.

-Dave
DaveF
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2019, 02:47:17 AM

2.1.1 came out a few weeks ago.

Broad change: extended public key finger (XFP) values used to be shown in the wrong endian (byte swapped), and prefixed with 0x to indicate they were a number. In fact, they are a byte string and should be shown in network order. Everywhere you might be used to seeing your XFP value has been switched, so 0x0f056943 becomes 4369050F (all caps, no 0x prefix). Affected areas include:
    v2.1.1: New feature: Create seed words from D6 dice rolls:
        under "Import Existing > Dice Rolls"
        just keep pressing 1 - 6 as you roll. At least 99 rolls are required for 256-bit security
        seed is sha256(over all rolls, as ascii string)
        normal seed words are shown so you can write those down instead of the rolls
        can also "mix in" dice rolls: after Coldcard picks the seed words and shows them, press 4 and you can then do some dice rolls (as many or as few as desired) and get a new set of words, which adds those rolls as additional entropy.
    Export skeleton wallets for Wasabi Wallet https://wasabiwallet.io/ to support air-gapped use.
    Summary file (public.txt) has been reworked to include more XPUB values and a warning about using addresses your blockchain-monitoring wallet might not be ready for.
    When BIP39 passphrase is given over USB, and approved, the new XFP is shown on-screen for reference.
    v2.1.1: Wasabi wallet support: remove extra info from skeleton file, change XFP endian, add version field.

Older releases and their changes are listed here, the source code, and much more be found in our repository on github.
DaveF
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2019, 12:27:41 AM

Version 2.1.2 released today.

All new firmware since 2.1 have multisig support.

https://coldcardwallet.com/docs/multisig

All changes in 2.1.2

Add extra warning screen added about forgetting your PIN.
    Remove warning screen about Testnet vs Mainnet.
    Bugfix: Change for XFP endian display introduced in 2.0.0 didn't actually correct endian display and it was still showing values in LE32. Correctly corrected now.
        now showing both values in "Advanced > View Identity screen".
        some matching changes to ckcc-protocol (CLI tool)
        when making multisig wallets in airgap mode, you must use latest firmware on all the units
    Bugfix: Error messages would sometimes disappear off the screen quickly. Now they stay up until OK pressed. Text of certain messages also improved.
    Bugfix: Show a nicer message when given a PSBT with corrupted UTXO values.
    Bugfix: Block access to multisig menu when no seed phrase yet defined.
    Bugfix: Any command on multisig menu that used the MicroSD card would crash, if card was not present.
    Bugfix: When offline multisig signing sometimes tried to finalize PSBT, but we can't.
    Bugfix: For multi-pass-multisig signing, handle filenames better (end in -part, not -signed).

-Dave
kalus

Activity: 420
Merit: 262

let's make a deal.

View Profile
August 04, 2019, 03:44:39 PM

i was looking for a new desktop wallet and found out about this integration with coldcard.  i'm also impressed with the thoughtful design of the hardware down to the tamper-evident, clear case.   I have ordered a hardware v.2 to try out.

DC2ngEGbd1ZUKyj8aSzrP1W5TXs5WmPuiR wow need noms
DaveF
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2019, 06:28:21 PM

i was looking for a new desktop wallet and found out about this integration with coldcard.  i'm also impressed with the thoughtful design of the hardware down to the tamper-evident, clear case.   I have ordered a hardware v.2 to try out.

Good choice. I love mine.

I try keep bumping this thread whenever they update the firmware just to keep people in the loop. I have no affiliation with them but use mine a lot.

On a side note take a look at:

https://blog.coinkite.com/noise-troll/

That is just about the only vulnerability that has been found. And so far it's not proven and just about impossible to exploit. And lets be serious. If someone can compromise your USB port or cable on the PC you are using for your BTC you're screwed anyway.

Hmmmm, I have access to your usb. Let's do this incredibly complicated almost impossible hack...or just emulate a keyboard and type whatever the hell I want.....

-Dave

kalus

Activity: 420
Merit: 262

let's make a deal.

View Profile
August 22, 2019, 03:51:48 AM
Last edit: August 22, 2019, 04:11:09 AM by kalus
Merited by DaveF (2)

I just got mine today - I am really enjoying using ColdCard + Electrum, and displaying my addresses on the display. Managing multiple wallets is easy, and i can unplug and keep unencrypted wallets watch-only to see the confirms roll in.    

I still like the Trezor, but ColdCard is a straightforward BTC/LTC only-wallet that can be used tethered, or setup as airgapped.   I tried it on wasabi, but i prefer how i can keep multiple wallets open in electrum. 

the ColdCard looked cheap in the photos but holding in my hand it's worth the price.  it's obvious someone put a lot of thought and pride into how these turned out. Great buttons on the v2. The serial number on the sealed bag matched the bag number located in the firmware for security during shipment too.  

imo if someone is btc-only and likes tactile buttons over touchscreens, i'd go with a ColdCard.  

DC2ngEGbd1ZUKyj8aSzrP1W5TXs5WmPuiR wow need noms
DaveF
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2019, 02:22:39 PM

I just got mine today - I am really enjoying using ColdCard + Electrum, and displaying my addresses on the display. Managing multiple wallets is easy, and i can unplug and keep unencrypted wallets watch-only to see the confirms roll in.    

I still like the Trezor, but ColdCard is a straightforward BTC/LTC only-wallet that can be used tethered, or setup as airgapped.   I tried it on wasabi, but i prefer how i can keep multiple wallets open in electrum.  

the ColdCard looked cheap in the photos but holding in my hand it's worth the price.  it's obvious someone put a lot of thought and pride into how these turned out. Great buttons on the v2. The serial number on the sealed bag matched the bag number located in the firmware for security during shipment too.  

imo if someone is btc-only and likes tactile buttons over touchscreens, i'd go with a ColdCard.  

And we have another convert to the ColdCard.
But you are correct, it looks cheap in the pictures. But I have had, and used and still use their opendime products so I didn't worry I knew they make good stuff.
I have both the old and the new model and use them both.

-Dave
DaveF
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2019, 07:04:00 PM

Version 2.1.3 was released Sep 6, 2019.
This is why I love my ColdCard, they keep working on it, releasing new features and fixes.
Not letting it sit out there like some other wallets.
-Dave

Code:
    New feature: Create seed words from D6 dice rolls (v2.1.1):
        under "Import Existing > Dice Rolls"
        just keep pressing 1 - 6 as you roll. At least 99 rolls are required for 256-bit security
        seed is sha256(over all rolls, as ascii string)
        normal seed words are shown so you can write those down instead of the rolls
        can also "mix in" dice rolls: after Coldcard picks the seed words and shows them, press 4 and you can then do some dice rolls (as many or as few as desired) and get a new set of words, which adds those rolls as additional entropy.

Changes in version 2.1.3:

Visual change: unknown components of multsig co-signer derivation paths used to be shown as m/?/?/0/1 but will now be shown as m/_/_/0/1. The blank indicates better that we can't prove what is in that spot, not that we don't know what value is claimed.
    Bugfix: Some backup files would hit an error during restore (random, less than 6%). Those existing backup files will be read correctly by this new version of firmware.
    Bugfix: P2SH-P2WPKH change outputs incorrectly flagged as fraudulent (regression from v1.1.0)
    Bugfix: Wanted redeem script, but should be witness script for P2WSH change outputs.
DaveF
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2019, 11:31:36 AM

2.1.5 came out the 17-September-2019
There was also a 2.1.4 that was released just after 2.1.3 to fix a small bug

Changes in version 2.1.5:

Bugfix: Changes to redeem vs. witness script content in PSBTs. Affects multisig change outputs, primarily.
Bugfix: Import of multisig wallet from xpubs in PSBT could fail if attempted from SD Card.
Bugfix: Improved message shown if import of multsig wallet was refused during PSBT signing.

Changes in version 2.1.4:
Bugfix: For multisig change outputs, many cases were incorrected flagged as fraudulent.

This is why everyone should use a coldcard, they keep working on it with regular updates.
It does not just sit there in limbo with no development.

-Dave
nanobtc

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2019, 01:46:02 AM

I keep mine sealed in a gasketed plastic case. I got it out the other day, and some numerals were not typing. I will play around with it more before I panic, but I have seed words saved.

DaveF
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2019, 02:16:09 AM

I keep mine sealed in a gasketed plastic case. I got it out the other day, and some numerals were not typing. I will play around with it more before I panic, but I have seed words saved.
Gen 1 or Gen 2?

If it's Gen 1 some advice from the coldcardwallet site:

Touch pad is not doing what I want (Mark1 only)
Phantom keypresses have been a problem for some users. Here are some debug steps:

Install version 1.0.1 or later of the firmware.
Change the touch setting to suit your preferences and needs.
Press X twice before entering PIN; that selects the least sensitive mode.
Use a quality USB power supply. Often a battery pack is best for this.
Move to a different environment. Moisture in the air can be an issue.
One customer reported this:

I did some testing and it seemed that any computer plugged to the grid is plagued by noise, after connecting the wallet to an offline laptop running on battery power, I had zero issues with the touchpad.

Also, I have noticed when dealing with those types of contacts on other devices having some skin oil on your finger helps.
If your finger is too dry it does not work as well.

You can also reach out to their support: support@coinkite.com

-Dave
nanobtc

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2019, 04:22:02 AM

Thanks Dave, I believe it's Gen 2,  I did do a firmware upgrade. I just now looked, and see there is a Gen3. I'll check for updates again.

DaveF
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2019, 02:56:59 PM

New firmware came out yesterday 2.1.6:

Changes in version 2.1.6:

NEW for 2.1.6: "Address Explorer": view receive addresses on the screen of the Coldcard, so you can be certain your funds are going to the right place. Can also write first 250 addresses onto the SDCard in a simple text (CSV) format. Special thanks go to @hodlwave for creating this feature.

NEW: "Address Explorer" feature (see above)
    Bugfix: Improve error message shown when depth of XPUB of multisig cosigner conflicts with path details provided in PSBT or USB 'show address' command.
    Bugfix: When we don't know derivation paths for a multisig wallet, or when all do not share a common path-prefix, don't show anything.

Just did a test myself with the write receive address to the SD card and it worked.
So that is a cool new feature. Not really sure how many people will use it.

Was thinking creating jpgs with QR codes might be nice. Not sure if it can be done with the hardware.

-Dave
Pearls Before Swine

Activity: 994
Merit: 295

View Profile
October 09, 2019, 03:12:44 PM

Honestly, It's not worth it, at least not for 69.99$. The design alone is not attractive, let alone the features.
Yeah for that amount I would not even think of purchasing it.  A ledger or keepkey are much less expensive and have a better design in my opinion. The Coldcard wallet is downright repulsive to me, but to each his own.

With all the hardware wallets on the market, one would think that an attractive design combined with a reasonable cost would be priority for the wallet developers, but that isn't the case here apparently.

the ColdCard looked cheap in the photos but holding in my hand it's worth the price.
Hmm.  Well, it might be an excellent wallet but even if it looks better in hand it's still a lot of money.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.