Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:53:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: (Solved) How to setup a small mining farm properly ?  (Read 228 times)
Betqueen (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 22, 2018, 03:58:29 AM
Last edit: September 27, 2018, 08:40:40 PM by Betqueen
Merited by OgNasty (1)

Hi, I'm kinda new here but I've been learning a lot about bitcoin mining farm on bitcointalk and Youtube since two weaks ago. but unfortunately I couldn't find some technical info for an efficient mining anywhere. the mining farm I'm going to use is an old house running on an analog single phase electricity meter with the current of 220v and 15(60)Amp. I'm gonna upgrade it in the future but first I need to understand how things work here and there. now here are the things I need to know for the time being :

[1] First I thought that electricity meters ONLY measured the amount of the energy consumed but then looking at the meter I realized that they also limit the Amperage (or maybe the volt as well ?). now (without considering the energy meter) I need to know how many volts/amps are in the powerpole cable ?

[2] What exactly this 15(60) Amp means. I have no idea what that 60 means but that 15, to my best guess, is the real Amp the meter can handle. so with a little math here if we have a 1300watt ASIC with the current of 220v we would have an ASIC running with 5.9A (watt/volt=amp), which in turn, we can have two of them in the best case scenario (without considering other equipment !!) and if I go beyond it it'll trip the breaker. is that correct ?

[3] If I were to ask for an upgrade, say to 100A instead, what would the power company do ? would they simply replace the meter with the newer 100A ? or they need to replace the cable as well.

[4] How much Amp do I need for the main breaker ? the same on the energy meter ? 15Amp in my case ?

[5] How about the breaker for each set of ASICs ? I guess a 15Amp breaker is enough for two 1300watt ASICs (keeping the 80% of the amp consumption in mind). right ?

[6] Do I need a UPD to distribute the amp as well ? is it ok to have both ASICs connected to a multi power sockets instead of upd (for the allocated breaker) ?!

[7] What type of breaker do I need for such a job ? :

==============================================================================
There are three characteristics curves (In common use) available- B C & D. B curve indicates that short circuit rating of device is in range of 3-5 times of standard rated current (Which means, TIME for Trip initiation i.e. the less rating of the the time will be Fast acting, like for protecting sensitive Electronics devices and equipment). C curve indicates it to be 5-10 times and D curve indicates it to be 10-20 times. Be very careful while selecting this. On a resistive load (say heater, normal lighting load) it will B Curve, for inductive load (Like pump, Motors etc.) it will be C curve and for highly inductive or capacitive load it will be D curve.
==============================================================================

[8] How may I protect the electronic equipment in case of a power failure/power cut ? do I need to purchase a UPS or what ?!

I couldn't find the answer to my questions anywhere and I would really appreciate it if you could shed some light on them.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Hockeybum

Activity: 113
Merit: 31

View Profile
September 22, 2018, 03:21:48 PM
Merited by frodocooper (2)

The real answer to your subject question is in a data center with 3 phase power.  If you just want a few miners and not a mining farm then a house is okay as long as you like noise and heat or are able to put the miners in a location where both are mitigated.
An old house has old wiring and has a good chance of burning down if you aren’t careful.
Before you start looking for answers to questions 1-8, the first question you should ask your power company is “what is the cost per kWh”.  That answer will tell you whether or not to proceed with upgrading the wiring in the house.  Also, kWh isn’t the only cost on a power bill btw.
Betqueen (OP)

View Profile
September 23, 2018, 02:16:38 AM

@Hockeybum, I 'm not worried about 1-5 anymore cause I got all the necessary info I needed. now a few questions left :

6. is it ok to have two 1300w ASICs connected to one outlet with a 15A breaker without using a upd ?

7. what types of breakers are better for this purpose ? B, C or D ?

8. How may I protect my electronic equipment in case of a power failure ?
Hockeybum

Activity: 113
Merit: 31

View Profile
September 23, 2018, 06:06:22 AM
Merited by frodocooper (2)

I’m sorry but I’m not qualified to answer those questions, but there are some on this forum that are.  I’ll give some of my thoughts and let someone else answer your specific questions, I wouldn’t want to be responsible for damaging old wiring or burning down a house.

6. How many volts are you running?  I’m assuming single phase.  Continuous load circuits in North America must be derated 80%; not sure where you are mining.  I’d go lower than 80% with older wiring, but then again I wouldn’t run miners long term except in a data center.  When I do testing at my house I have a dedicated single phase 30 amp 208 volt circuit (my clothes dryer circuit) which I connect up to 3 S9 miners to, which keeps me under the 80% threshold.  I’m using a 30 amp PDU and drawing less than 21 amps with 3 miners.

7.  I’m using 3 phase Eaton BR360 breakers at my data center which I believe are type C, not sure for your application.

8.  I’ve found that the cost of a UPS for miners far exceeds the cost of any down time, so I don’t run any sort of backup power.  I’ve been running with high quality equipment and have been down less than 5 minutes over 18 months of mining due to power outages.  More of my downtime has to do with internet outages.
Betqueen (OP)

View Profile
September 24, 2018, 12:36:23 AM

Thanks for the help,

6. like I said power or old wiring is not the issue right now and I'm gonna upgrade them very soon. all I need right now is some technical specifications. and as for the num. 6 I need to know what would happen if you connected your miners to the 30a breaker (keeping the 80% threshold) and without PDU ? the simple question is do I really need to distribute the amp or I can simply go for a simple multi plug socket instead ?

7. I'm working on this one but I guess C seems ok.

8. I'm talking about protecting against power failure of any kind causing damage to the equipment due to the low or high voltage or outage. I'm not worried about the down time at all. is there any device other than UPS to protect electronic devices ?
Betqueen (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2018, 08:34:54 PM

Updates :

7. B: loads with a very small inductive component :
    - Lighting circuits (non-inductive)
    - General purpose outlets

C:  loads with a moderate inductive component, typically electrical equipment which uses low-HP motors or specific types of lighting :
    - Air conditioners
    - Residential / Commercial Pumps
    - Fans
    - Lighting which uses ballasts with an inductive component

D: loads with a very high inductive component, typically found in industrial settings:
    - Large induction motors or transformers
    - X-ray equipment
    - Welding equipment

8. UPS or Stabilizers

For num 6, I think I'll go for separate breakers for each !
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: