Bitcoin Forum
August 21, 2019, 06:10:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 0.18.0 [Torrent] (New!)

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Writing a welcome message  (Read 9112 times)
dkbit98

Activity: 504
Merit: 159

Check Polyx Exchange!

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2019, 01:46:18 PM

Probably true... BUT we could add rule that restrict that service and ban users for cheating
That would be impossible to enforce. There's no way to tell if someone else is logging in to an account to complete these tasks. IPs tell you nothing useful due to VPNs or Tor. This could also be done by relaying the questions to the third party over a platform such as Telegram or Discord, so bypassing the account login altogether.

I wouldn't be against having to prove some basic bitcoin knowledge in addition to earning merit in order to rank up from newbie, but providing it as an alternate route to ranking up (i.e. bypassing merit) is too open to abuse.

Yes, knowledge quiz/test should be one legit way of earning a merit,
without interacting with other users, and it can be limited per rank.
Easier questions for lower ranks, harder for higher ranks.
It should be optional, not mandatory (excluding registration)

<…>
At some point in the past I believed quiz type floodgates may be useful at some (early) stage. I probably though so when the forum was thriving with spam (even after the Merit System was set in motion), but interesting as it may seem subjectively, objectively it seems:

- Easily cheatable: There can only be so many questions to a Quiz on a given topic. Even if you randomize the questions, eventually the will end-up in an external document or database (by crowd-reporting of the questions) and made accessible to all, defeating the purpose.

- The idea of a forum having mandatory quizzes taken at some point seems like an overkill. One thing is taking a quiz for fun, but another is having to do it at some stage/s as part of the procedure to participate in the forum.

Basic registration quiz would be FORUM RULES related,
so I don't see any harm in that, and it would benefit and help users break less rules,
as 90% users even don't know what the rules are, and they get banned even if they don`t have malicious intentions.

And even if they cheat, they will learn forum rules better, by simply repeating it.
Detect what rules are most often broken and create questions.

●  POLYX EXCHANGE - the easiest and safest way to buy Bitcoin in Europe!
  ●  SECURE AND FRIENDLY
  ●  MAIN TOPIC  ●  GO TO SITE  ●  OUR TELEGRAM  ●  BOUNTY
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hilariousetc
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 2190

Pro board spammer

View Profile
August 06, 2019, 11:19:32 AM

I really wish this would be made a priority. Far too many people are completely ignorant to the rules and oblivious as to what to do here. A simple and short message is all we need detailing the most commonly broken rules and links to further guides and stickies that go into depth about things so they can read up on them if they wish. So many people just have no idea where to even find this stuff and Meta is usually the last board they go into so being directed to these threads when they sign up will be very helpful.

Steamtyme

Activity: 742
Merit: 1143

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2019, 11:36:54 AM

Is there a way this could be done by a forum member. Maybe not in real time but within a few days. Given that new account creations are monitored by a few people couldn't we PM them. I don't know how hard it would be for someone to automate it to do this every couple of days or as new records are available.

It could even be labeled as an unofficial welcome message.

DdmrDdmr

Activity: 588
Merit: 2571

There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2019, 12:09:44 PM
Last edit: August 06, 2019, 02:06:43 PM by DdmrDdmr
Merited by hilariousetc (5)

<...>
With the current number of registrations per month being in the 22k/month area (see Statistics of user registrations on Bitcointalk 2017-2019) youd need an account with over 250 Activity + whitelisted in order to be able to tackle that number of registries (managing up to the max. limit of 1200 PMs per day – see New PM limits). If the number of registered users went back to what most of 2018 numbers were, a single account could not tackle the amount of PMs it woud need to send.

Even so, for the message to be most effective it should be in my opinion in real-time, upon registration, and not a deferred PM. In addition, the potential PM sending account, being non-official, could be considered spam technically, so the more official the solution the better really.

Edit:
<…> I think you overlooked the fact that said account can have 30 recipients per PM, making it possible to reach 36000 users per day. <…>
No, I wasn’t aware until now. Still making it a trigger or alike sort of feature thar sends a PM and/or displays a pop-up seems rather simple. The issue I figure is not implementing the message, but rather more deciding the content of the message.

Of course to complicate matters a notch, ideally it should be available in the language of the user, either first hand (i.e. when subscribing - select language for welcome message) or accessible later on (which loses efficiency).  Default English is perhaps good enough, although many non-native would not grasp the depth of the content, but rather more a watered down version of it's content.

suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 3824

Pedal-powered plaguebot

View Profile
August 06, 2019, 12:56:08 PM
Merited by malevolent (1)

Given that we already have hundreds of thousands of clueless users who never had a welcome message, it should also be linked from the the "Post reply" page, e.g.:

Yes, I know this has been suggested before... just reiterating it because why not.

LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 4411

Largest Merit Circle on BPIP!

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2019, 01:29:15 PM
Merited by Steamtyme (1), DdmrDdmr (1)

With the current number of registrations per month being in the 22k/month area (see Statistics of user registrations on Bitcointalk 2017-2019) youd need an account with over 250 Activity + whitelisted in order to be able to tackle that number of registries (managing up to the max. limit of 1200 PMs per day – see New PM limits). If the number of registered users went back to what most of 2018 numbers were, a single account could not tackle the amount of PMs it woud need to send.
I think you overlooked the fact that said account can have 30 recipients per PM, making it possible to reach 36000 users per day.
A bot could send 1 PM every 72 seconds, with up to 30 new users that receive a PM almost instantly after registration.
It could be an account with a name like "WelcomeNewUser", and maybe Staff status to make it look official.

Steamtyme

Activity: 742
Merit: 1143

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2019, 03:08:13 AM

Even so, for the message to be most effective it should be in my opinion in real-time, upon registration, and not a deferred PM. In addition, the potential PM sending account, being non-official, could be considered spam technically, so the more official the solution the better really.
Edit:
<…> I think you overlooked the fact that said account can have 30 recipients per PM, making it possible to reach 36000 users per day. <…>
No, I wasn’t aware until now. Still making it a trigger or alike sort of feature thar sends a PM and/or displays a pop-up seems rather simple. The issue I figure is not implementing the message, but rather more deciding the content of the message.

I agree, but until something is implemented by the Admins anything is better than nothing our message may not be perfect but could still be effective. The "unnofficial" was in line with the labeling of the rules we currently have (Unofficial list of (official) Bitcointalk.org rules, guidelines, FAQ) and for complete clarity on that this is a community message - which might be a good intro that some systems within  the forum are community driven as opposed to moderated. I don't agree it could be labelled as spam as long as the content adds value.

With most things if it wasn't to hard for someone to implement, go for it. If theymos doesn't like it he will speak to it, or ask the individual to stop. There also would be nothing preventing theymos from implementing his polished message if/when it's complete. Then there would no longer be a need to continue this interim measure.

Of course to complicate matters a notch, ideally it should be available in the language of the user, either first hand (i.e. when subscribing - select language for welcome message) or accessible later on (which loses efficiency).  Default English is perhaps good enough, although many non-native would not grasp the depth of the content, but rather more a watered down version of it's content.

For local board languages it may be worth just posting links at the top of the message in the languages we currently have local boards for. As time goes on I'm sure someone would translate the message from each board and it could be linked to that post.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.