Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 09:33:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Paying once to bypass captchas  (Read 291 times)
cellard (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
September 25, 2018, 07:22:41 PM

How about if we pay a reasonable amount of bitcoin we can raise our account status above having to bypass the insanely annoying google captcha?

Today I had to redo the captcha bunch of times because it kept failing. Specially as a Tor user, I don't know how much time i've lost solving the captchas. If I had the total number of minutes spent on that task it would probably be depressing to know so I don't like to think about it.

I mentioned that if it was possible to do it without javascript (as you can with the cloudfare one) then it would be less annoying since you don't have to wait for the images to show up in slow motion, but if it cannot be done for the login page for whatever reason, im willing to pay if I can get rid of the captcha forever. Just an idea. But still, I would like to know why the cloudfare page is allowed to get the captcha without javascript while the login page doesn't, if they are same google captcha service.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 16483

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2018, 07:37:02 PM

I don't think that's possible: even if you could pay for this feature, the server only knows who you are after completing the captcha.
If you remove the captcha so you can identify as a paying user first, I think that defeats the purpose of having a captcha as a DDOS protection.

As far as I've tested, you can set your Tor browser to remember cookies, and click "Always stay logged in:". If you do that, you should probably dedicated that browser to Bitcointalk only, as it reduces your privacy. But at least you don't have to solve the captcha again.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
iluvbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1150

Freedom&Honor

View Profile
September 25, 2018, 08:06:49 PM

How would the website know you are you before logging in?

It would only work with a dedicated IP, so Tor isn't an option.

Perhaps if there was a bitcointalk add-on you'd have to buy, and the website would reckognize you have it installed.
However, this is extremely unlikely..

Looking for a signature campaign.
Parodium

Activity: 1036
Merit: 332

DMs have been disabled. I am busy.

View Profile
September 25, 2018, 08:28:52 PM

Perhaps if there was a bitcointalk add-on you'd have to buy, and the website would reckognize you have it installed.

Couldn't Theymos provide users with a special cookie? Pretty sure I also saw somewhere that Vod doesn't need to complete captcha because of some bypass he has, maybe he can comment if he sees this, or perhaps this just relates to his BPIP website I don't recall exactly.

Whatever the solution, I would certainly pay a small sum to bypass the captcha, I have been infuriated by it more times than I care to remember. I'm infuriated right now just thinking about it.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110

View Profile
September 25, 2018, 08:37:13 PM

Could be an idea. I know how difficult it is to use Tor on other sites. The captcha takes a good 10+ times to complete most of the time. Can be absolutely infuriating when your only logging in to check messages or something. I'm not sure how much the fee would need to be, and whether it was rank restricted to prevent newbies shelling out a lot of money for it.
iluvbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1150

Freedom&Honor

View Profile
September 25, 2018, 09:00:32 PM

Couldn't Theymos provide users with a special cookie? Pretty sure I also saw somewhere that Vod doesn't need to complete captcha because of some bypass he has, maybe he can comment if he sees this, or perhaps this just relates to his BPIP website I don't recall exactly.

Whatever the solution, I would certainly pay a small sum to bypass the captcha, I have been infuriated by it more times than I care to remember. I'm infuriated right now just thinking about it.

It could be done, but it's complicated.
Don't believe we're gonna see this happen.

Looking for a signature campaign.
sinachy

Activity: 182
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 25, 2018, 09:16:12 PM

If that is done then believe me some people will take the advantage and launch DOS attack on the forum which will make it difficult for people to access the forum, so the captchas is a way to protect the forum from attack.

The solution you can use is to check the login forever box, which will keep you logged in for a long time.
doolittle

Activity: 340
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 25, 2018, 10:33:06 PM

If that is done then believe me some people will take the advantage and launch DOS attack on the forum which will make it difficult for people to access the forum, so the captchas is a way to protect the forum from attack.

The solution you can use is to check the login forever box, which will keep you logged in for a long time.
If you implement such a service, it must be tied to a specific Ip address, otherwise you are right, it is a threat to DOS attacks. But given that in most cases, each Internet user 1 ip address, the attack is extremely impossible.As for the Tor, it is an anonymous browser, with the substitution of partial or full of your Ip address, so you have a problem with the captcha. Alas, I have not met such services that you offer.
NavI_027

Activity: 1232
Merit: 186

View Profile
September 25, 2018, 10:50:08 PM

Wow! Seems you are really serious of paying money just to remove captcha-solvings. For me that's wasteful because you will pay a feature that you can FREELY have in the first place.

Anyway, if using TOR is the main reason for that bad experience then why don't you stop using it or at least use another device for accessing this forum Smiley (why not?). You should be the one who will adjust not the system of the forum since the majority of users here don't have the same sentiment as yours.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
September 25, 2018, 11:03:20 PM
Merited by LoyceV (1), stingers (1)

I got a bypass token from theymos too in order to help vod with his bpip so it certainly is already a system that is functioning on the forum.

I don't think that's possible: even if you could pay for this feature, the server only knows who you are after completing the captcha.
If you remove the captcha so you can identify as a paying user first, I think that defeats the purpose of having a captcha as a DDOS protection.

I'm guessing he doesn't mind the cloudflare ones but actually, no not really.

I think there's probably a few profiles and services that can be added to cloudflare that will identify a user from the url they give.

For example, something like jackg2068954751843976.bitcointalk.org might be free from the cloudflare service and allowed a bypass
stingers
Legendary

Activity: 1183
Merit: 1013

View Profile
September 26, 2018, 04:28:49 AM

This would be a time saving features if its implemented as I personally have come across such situation many times and I have to solve that captcha for 5+ times to just check my latest messages which is truly annoying for me.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
September 26, 2018, 11:31:38 AM

I got a bypass token from theymos too in order to help vod with his bpip so it certainly is already a system that is functioning on the forum.

I just know about that, then implementing the idea shouldn't be difficult. Either enable with copper member or add another membership rank.
I'd erge theymos not to do this. We'd need something more discrete. Otherwise someone might go "ooh look, that user's wearing a copper membership I bet it could get into their account pretty easily". Tokens are sent in PMs and [information removed] (let's just put it this way, there's a reason why everyone uses throwaways to make bots)...

As far as I've tested, you can set your Tor browser to remember cookies, and click "Always stay logged in:". If you do that, you should probably dedicated that browser to Bitcointalk only, as it reduces your privacy. But at least you don't have to solve the captcha again.
Unfortunately, that's not the case. I enable cookies on Tor Browser, but still got annoying captcha (even with javascript enabled) everytime the exit node changed.

Configuring firefox to work with tor:
Step 1: open tor browser
Step 2: open firefox
Step 3: Go to the three dashes (top right) and click "options"
Step 4: Scroll down that first page to "Network Proxy"
Step 5: Click "settings"
Step 6: Select "Manual Proxy Configuration"
Step 7: Under SOCKS HOST put in 127.0.0.1 in the box next to and 9150 in the box next to that and hit OK (ensure it's listed as a SOCKS v5 host and not a v4 one).
Step 8: Don't be stupid. This is an important step if you want to be truly anonymous, don't start doing things like logging into google (under a regular account in your name) because that's a bit of a giveaway Grin.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
September 26, 2018, 02:42:12 PM

I certainly didn't think that and i agree it's quite risky for majority user, but there are alternative such as :
1. Disable such features by default
2. Forcing PGP signature / anything similar when login through Tor
3. Encourage people not to show "Copper Member", unless necessary
We're a bitcoin forum, we can use bitcoin signatures.
Yolodice and a few other sites have quite an ellegant system for it.

Thanks for the advice, but i've tried that in past and still see CAPTCHA whether by open tor browser or download and manually configure Tor Expert Bundle. Besides, using Tor connection over other browser is half-hearted solution unless they don't care about privacy or their goal is to bypass ISP/government blockade.

So is enabling cookies.
Firefox comes with noscript inbuilt also, it's better than the plagiarised fireforx (chrome).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: