Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 09:59:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My doubts about anarchy  (Read 18183 times)
dmp1ce

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2011, 01:08:18 PM

If we consider anarchy to be the absence of central rules or coercion forces, then we have to admit that there is an inner paradox in such a concept:  how can you prevent rules or coercion, without using coercion or rules?

In a sentence:   "No rules" is still a rule.
Anarchy, translated from the Greek, means "without rulers".  There is nothing contradictory about having no rulers but still having rules.  If you and I agree that we should NOT steal from each other, that is an agreed upon rule, but there is no ruler.  We would probably both self enforce this rule because we both have an incentive to not be stolen from.

Bitcoin is basically an example of an anarchic system working.  Bitcoin has no rulers but MANY rules which are agreed upon by the people who run the software.  There are many examples of anarchy working throughout world.  In fact most of everything you do is probably anarchic in nature.  "Anarchists" that I know mostly just want to see anarchy expanded into the realm government usually monopolizes such as arbitration/courts and defense.  Especially in US courts these days, rules are mostly made up by the ruling class who set them.  The rules are then enforced primarily by the ruling class.  The rules many times are not be agreed upon by all parties but rules would necessarily be agreed upon in an anarchic system.

BTCmon - Support great bitcoin apps
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gluskab

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2011, 09:02:13 PM

If we consider anarchy to be the absence of central rules or coercion forces, then we have to admit that there is an inner paradox in such a concept:  how can you prevent rules or coercion, without using coercion or rules?

In a sentence:   "No rules" is still a rule.
Anarchy, translated from the Greek, means "without rulers".  There is nothing contradictory about having no rulers but still having rules.  If you and I agree that we should NOT steal from each other, that is an agreed upon rule, but there is no ruler.  We would probably both self enforce this rule because we both have an incentive to not be stolen from.

Bitcoin is basically an example of an anarchic system working.  Bitcoin has no rulers but MANY rules which are agreed upon by the people who run the software.  There are many examples of anarchy working throughout world.  In fact most of everything you do is probably anarchic in nature.  "Anarchists" that I know mostly just want to see anarchy expanded into the realm government usually monopolizes such as arbitration/courts and defense.  Especially in US courts these days, rules are mostly made up by the ruling class who set them.  The rules are then enforced primarily by the ruling class.  The rules many times are not be agreed upon by all parties but rules would necessarily be agreed upon in an anarchic system.

This is absolutely the case.  In fact, I'd wager that a truly anarchic society would probably have a greater respect for law and rights by far than most (or any) current 'democratic' state.  If you think about it, our current society has much more disorder and chaos than any society for which any Anarchist is arguing.  We have laws against murder, theft, and kidnapping; but if you're amongst an arbitrary 'elite,' you can break one or more of those laws without punishment.  In fact we have so many laws that the average person commits three felonies a day, and anytime a state (in the generic sense) prosecutor wants to see you in jail, he can do so.

Too many rules is the same as no rules at all.

I'd also like to note that number and scope of rules/laws is one thing that has not been subjected to the free market yet.
BCEmporium
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 10, 2011, 09:33:02 PM

In fact we have so many laws that the average person commits three felonies a day, and anytime a state (in the generic sense) prosecutor wants to see you in jail, he can do so.

I've to say that whether I don't like Anarchy nor it would be a fairy tales World, I do agree to the excess of regulation.
But also society tends to misunderstand and steer up laws and rules, easily sells itself to pure fascism out of the void fascist promise; «give me your freedom, I'll give you security»... yeah right! As Benjamin Franklin wrote «Those willing to trade their freedom for security deserve neither and will lose both».

██████████████████            ██████████
████████████████              ██████████
██████████████          ▄█   ███████████
████████████         ▄████   ███████████
██████████        ▄███████  ████████████
████████        ▄█████████  ████████████
██████        ▄███████████  ████████████
████       ▄██████████████ █████████████
██      ▄███████████████████████████████
▀        ███████████████████████████████
▄          █████████████████████████████
██▄         ▀███████████████████████████
████▄        ▀██████████████████████████
██████▄        ▀████████████████████████
████████▄        ████████████████▀ █████
██████████▄       ▀█████████████  ██████
████████████▄       ██████████   ███████
██████████████▄      ▀██████    ████████
████████████████▄▄     ███     █████████
███████████████████▄    ▀     ██████████
█████████████████████▄       ███████████
███████████████████████▄   ▄████████████

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|
  TRUE BLOCKCHAIN GAMING PLATFORM 
DECENTRALISED AUTONOMOUS UNIVERSES

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
Gluskab

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2011, 09:37:59 PM

In fact we have so many laws that the average person commits three felonies a day, and anytime a state (in the generic sense) prosecutor wants to see you in jail, he can do so.

I've to say that whether I don't like Anarchy nor it would be a fairy tales World, I do agree to the excess of regulation.
But also society tends to misunderstand and steer up laws and rules, easily sells itself to pure fascism out of the void fascist promise; «give me your freedom, I'll give you security»... yeah right! As Benjamin Franklin wrote «Those willing to trade their freedom for security deserve neither and will lose both».

That's why education is the key.  A society composed of individuals who mostly understand rights and human nature will tend to be much freer and secure than that "theoretical" society that would be willing to be molested for a promise of safety.

People can only be manipulated to the extent that they allow others to manipulate them.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  

Jump to: