Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:51:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hypothetical: $10m ICO with 1m $10 tokens, or $10m ICO with 1b $0.01 tokens?  (Read 114 times)
kaopxa (OP)

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2018, 09:44:30 PM

Which would you prefer and why?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CryptoAlphaStar

Activity: 574
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 29, 2018, 10:12:09 PM

It doesn't make any difference. The marketcap won't be affected at all.
And it doesn't matter what we prefer. What matters is what will the use case of the token be and this will determine how many decimal points it needs for good user experience.
The ICO team decides this.
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18507

View Profile
September 30, 2018, 09:01:51 AM

It doesn't make any difference. The marketcap won't be affected at all.

You are correct the marketcap is the same, but it will make a difference.

You can find multiple new threads every day on these forums from newbies that don't understand marketcap, talking about how "penny coins" are cheap because the price is so low, completely oblivious to the billions of coins/tokens there in circulation. If you launched an ICO charging $10 for a token, a lot of newbies would say it's overpriced, regardless of marketcap or circulation.

And the use case of the token has never matter in ICOs before - morons will throw their money at anything with a nice website, even if it is a complete ponzi piece of trash scam.
muncuss

Activity: 634
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 30, 2018, 11:48:18 AM

You can find multiple new threads every day on these forums from newbies that don't understand marketcap, talking about how "penny coins" are cheap because the price is so low, completely oblivious to the billions of coins/tokens there in circulation. If you launched an ICO charging $10 for a token, a lot of newbies would say it's overpriced, regardless of marketcap or circulation.

And the use case of the token has never matter in ICOs before - morons will throw their money at anything with a nice website, even if it is a complete ponzi piece of trash scam.

yes ppl will prefer to buy cheaper token, no matter how scam the project, coz ppl already saw many get 7-10x profit with that kind of token.
fact is fact, those cheap tokens have higher chance to give you lambo in short time than top 10 coin/tokens
Noobaru

Activity: 504
Merit: 3

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2018, 09:36:40 PM

I would personally prefer the $0.01 just from the psychological aspect. Most project have their tokens sold in the range from 0.01$ to 1$ I believe, which is still a huge gap. I think that a perfect price for a token is at 0.10$ with no special reasons.  Grin

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄ ■       SKYNET.co       ■ ▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▐▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     PRIVATE SALE is LIVE     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▌
malweyer

Activity: 9

View Profile
October 03, 2018, 02:53:36 PM

yes ppl will prefer to buy cheaper token, no matter how scam the project, coz ppl already saw many get 7-10x profit with that kind of token.
fact is fact, those cheap tokens have higher chance to give you lambo in short time than top 10 coin/tokens

psychologically easier to buy 1,000 $0.01 coins than 10 $1.00 ones. i think retail investors prefer that
itssawai

Activity: 308
Merit: 2

Look ARROUND!

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2018, 03:09:41 PM

Crypto market is still not matured enough and lots of newbies purchase cheaper coins in bulk thinking it will become 5x-10x etc, even though both the coins you have mentioned, has the same marketcap but the cheaper coin will attract more newbies and $10 one will attract more serious investors. On hitting market, you can play pump and dump with cheaper coins and hold the serious coins as a long-term investment.

ARROUND || Decentralized Augmented Reality Platform || ARROUND
Look ARROUND!
satgoldan

Activity: 602
Merit: 12

View Profile
October 03, 2018, 03:49:27 PM

I agree, it is rather a psychological effect. People want to see more coins in their accounts. Growth from $ 0.1 to $ 1 looks much more interesting than from $ 10 to $ 100. In other cases, this price is due to the equivalent of something, such as a kilowatt of energy, I have met such tokens.

─────────────── IMO Ecosystem ───────────────
Customer First, Innovation from Everyone, Fair & Transparent
[ TELEGRAM ] J O I N U S [ TWITTER ]
bttmember

Activity: 938
Merit: 13

AMEPAY

View Profile
October 03, 2018, 03:55:53 PM

I will not go and post the figures but personally i follow this simple strategy, the lower the total supply the better and similarly the lower the price the better. I hope you will.get my point.

BitcoinTurk

Activity: 1624
Merit: 624

View Profile
October 03, 2018, 04:05:36 PM

This decision will of course vary depending on the projects, but keeping the amount of supply lower will provide a better price-based advantage. Although the margin of profit seems to be more attractive to be preferred, the lower supply balance should be chosen for a price-based advantage. In particular, the fact that new projects are generally preferred to sell more than a billion units is an indication that the price will not reach a certain level. Therefore, my personal preference would be to choose a low supply option.
iconoclast

Activity: 770
Merit: 102

Matrix Built On An Ethereum Smart Contract

View Profile
October 03, 2018, 04:14:15 PM

It really should not matter but as others have already said there area lot of newbie investors who think a lower price means a greater chance of the coin rising multiple times because they mistakenly believe the "Law of Small Numbers" that applies to stock market investing also applies to cryptocurrency markets. What they fail to grasp is things like Board Lots are of no importance and that unlike shares cryptocurrencies are divisible to multiple decimal places.

kaopxa (OP)

Activity: 40

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2018, 07:04:02 PM

This decision will of course vary depending on the projects, but keeping the amount of supply lower will provide a better price-based advantage. Although the margin of profit seems to be more attractive to be preferred, the lower supply balance should be chosen for a price-based advantage. In particular, the fact that new projects are generally preferred to sell more than a billion units is an indication that the price will not reach a certain level. Therefore, my personal preference would be to choose a low supply option.

I agree. There is a lot less distance from $0.01 to $0.00 than $1.00.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: