Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:05:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you know the Bitcoin wallet code? [btc] 0.2 for 1 hour of your time  (Read 1003 times)
dbbit (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 10:43:34 PM
Last edit: November 08, 2017, 04:57:27 PM by dbbit

I'm busy learning the Bitcoin wallet code, and have a bunch of questions. Searching online and through forums is taking forever, and I don't want to continue spending days for what I'm sure I can learn in an hour of dedicated time by an expert.

If you consider yourself an expert in the Bitcoin wallet source code, and can talk with ease on areas of:

* Transaction management
* Database interaction
* Key storage

and have good conversational English, I have an offer for you:

I offer BTC 0.2 or $125 via Paypal (your choice) to have a Skype chat for 1 hour on the above subjects. Either voice chat or messaging is fine.

I have a 20 years C / C++ background, so if you're trying to B/S me, I'll know and you won't get the full award.

And don't worry, I'm not creating another coin.

PM me your background information and point to things you've worked on (e.g. other coins), and I'll select the best candidate.

Proof of funds:
https://blockchain.info/address/1BoW3MiwtnDOemFmXij0Jw5tCyrD43QpUn

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grau

Activity: 836
Merit: 1021

bits of proof

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2014, 05:34:20 AM

let me give a lesson for free, by giving you a comparable strong proof of funds:
https://blockchain.info/address/1FfmbHfnpaZjKFvyi1okTjJJusN455paPH
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 08:14:17 AM

As grau is pointing out, you're "proof of funds" would be more believable if you had actually signed a statement using the private key from the address in question.

As a programmer with 20 years experience, and a passing interest in the source code of the Bitcoin-Qt wallet, it is quite surprising that you didn't realize this.

It certainly doesn't fill me with confidence that the hour will be well spent.

If you really want to convince people that their time won't be wasted, it might be worthwhile to place the bitcoins in escrow with a trusted member of the bitcointalk community.

Honestly though, if you just ask any questions here you'll get the benefit of extensive knowledge from multiple "experts" without having to pay a penny.

Additionally, many others will be able to refer to the discussions and learn as well.  Drastically increasing the productivity of the conversations.
dbbit (OP)

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 03:39:22 PM
Last edit: November 08, 2017, 04:59:08 PM by dbbit

As grau is pointing out, you're "proof of funds" would be more believable if you had actually signed a statement using the private key from the address in question.

As a programmer with 20 years experience, and a passing interest in the source code of the Bitcoin-Qt wallet, it is quite surprising that you didn't realize this.

I just added it in a rush at the end, since last time I had an offer out, a bunch of people questioned whether I had funds. Though (I think) it's a reasonable per-hour fee, it's in actuality such a small amount of actual money, that I didn't think something more formal would be required.

But here goes - signing message for 1BoW3MiwtnDOemFmXij0Jw5tCyrD43QpUn:
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

H9WV6H28c1YcinIsQQuf7YdOnbaFq6wMSe2Z9WbcPCMs85ZN6cAv4w19U4J0IMJhy7fPHujzGGnuutJ+IF3DNII=

That would be my problem now, wouldn't it?

If you really want to convince people that their time won't be wasted, it might be worthwhile to place the bitcoins in escrow with a trusted member of the bitcointalk community.

I'll arranged what's needed with the individual person. If the person has a sufficiently established reputation already, I'll probably just pay upfront.

Honestly though, if you just ask any questions here you'll get the benefit of extensive knowledge from multiple "experts" without having to pay a penny.

Additionally, many others will be able to refer to the discussions and learn as well.  Drastically increasing the productivity of the conversations.

There isn't going to be a question that I'm going to ask that's not immediately being met with "Don't you know how to use google, you idiot", or "Go read the source code, twit" (paraphrasing), or my personal favorite "Stop doing what you're doing immediate, and go do some research"... yeah I was busy doing research, hence the question.

I am indeed finding the information piecemeal, it's just taking longer that I would like.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 05:01:19 PM

I just added it in a rush at the end, since last time I had an offer out, a bunch of people questioned whether I had funds. Though (I think) it's a reasonable per-hour fee, it's in actuality such a small amount of actual money, that I didn't think something more formal would be required.

But here goes - signing message for 1BoW9MiwtnDUdwFmXij1Jw6tCyrD43QpUn:
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

H9WV6H28c1YcinIsQQuf7YdOnbaFq6wMSe2Z9WbcPCNw85ZN6cAv4w19U4J0IMJhy7fPHujzGGnuutJ+IF3DNII=

That would be my problem now, wouldn't it?

I'll arranged what's needed with the individual person. If the person has a sufficiently established reputation already, I'll probably just pay upfront.

Sorry about that.  It was late at night, I was tired and should have gone to bed hours earlier, and I was also in the process of responding to some trolls and clueless newbies so my frame of mind was a bit sarcastic and overly critical.  I over-reacted to your post and probably should have just logged out and gone to bed.

Additionally, many others will be able to refer to the discussions and learn as well.  Drastically increasing the productivity of the conversations.

There isn't going to be a question that I'm going to ask that's not immediately being met with "Don't you know how to use google, you idiot", or "Go read the source code, twit" (paraphrasing), or my personal favorite "Stop doing what you're doing immediate, and go do some research"... yeah I was busy doing research, hence the question.

I am indeed finding the information piecemeal, it's just taking longer that I would like.

I wish you luck in your search for a teacher.  Hopefully your money will be well spent.

I'd think you'd get faster answers to the things your are trying to understand if you just create a self-moderated thread and delete the troll and flame posts.  I've found that there are several knowledgeable people here that are generally eager to share their knowledge on their own time in the written format (where they can take the time to organize thoughts, link code, and review statements before posting), but my guess is that its going to be much more difficult to find someone willing to commit to an hour in an interactive conversation.
dbbit (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 02:02:24 AM

Sorry about that.  It was late at night, I was tired and should have gone to bed hours earlier, and I was also in the process of responding to some trolls and clueless newbies so my frame of mind was a bit sarcastic and overly critical.  I over-reacted to your post and probably should have just logged out and gone to bed.

Hats of to you for that classy response - wish there were more people like you on here.

I wish you luck in your search for a teacher.  Hopefully your money will be well spent.

I'd think you'd get faster answers to the things your are trying to understand if you just create a self-moderated thread and delete the troll and flame posts.  I've found that there are several knowledgeable people here that are generally eager to share their knowledge on their own time in the written format (where they can take the time to organize thoughts, link code, and review statements before posting), but my guess is that its going to be much more difficult to find someone willing to commit to an hour in an interactive conversation.

Thanks. I wonder if I should just hire someone to implement the feature for me. What is a good going rate on here?

My guess would be that someone intimately familiar with the code can do it in a day. For someone not that familiar, but who have created a coin before, maybe 3.  New on the code, maybe a week to 10 days.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 02:52:14 AM

What feature?

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
dbbit (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:36:36 AM

What feature?

Answered via PM.
madsquirrel

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 07:53:25 AM

Does learning the Bitcoin wallet code dive you any profits?
wumpus
qt

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 08:21:02 AM

Does learning the Bitcoin wallet code dive you any profits?
If you are building any kind of bitcoin related service for profit (especially one that holds other people's funds) it is absolutely necessary to have understanding of the protocol and how the wallet code works. Misunderstandings can and have led to big losses.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
dbbit (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 03:09:58 PM

Offer hereby over. I figured out what I needed.

Thanks for the inputs!
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 06:58:20 PM

If you used the pull requests I linked, I hope you split the reward you offered between the author and the people that have been rebasing it to keep it pull-able.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
dbbit (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 08:52:02 PM

If you used the pull requests I linked, I hope you split the reward you offered between the author and the people that have been rebasing it to keep it pull-able.

Not following you. Did you perhaps reply to the wrong thread?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: