Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:02:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are so many topic titles misspelled/Garbage?  (Read 162 times)
KonstantinosM (OP)

Activity: 1490
Merit: 763

Life is a taxable event

View Profile
October 04, 2018, 04:02:26 AM
Merited by Jet Cash (2)

If you visit the Bitcoin Forum regularly, it won't be long until you see topics like:

Can too many Altcoin's can become a threat to bitcoin's existence
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5032562.0

Clearly not spellchecked/proofread or well thought out.

Soon we would not need banks
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4966233.0

This topic not only has a bad title, but it's not really all that thoughtful. In fact, here is the full text:

The Ceo of Bitcoin cash recently stated that soon people wouldn't be needing banks anymore.Does it mean the world is going crypto soon or he is just bluffing.

Miners are alive If BTC reach to $3000 ? And Is it possible ?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5042940.0

This is what this topic title would look like if it was better: Can miners sustain themselves at the $3000 price level?

I'll leave it at that, because that's what I could see on the first page (of bitcoin discussion) right now, which is better than usual.

If we limited the ability of certain user groups to post topics to a certain number per week or 2 weeks we could significantly improve the quality of the forum's topics by giving each topic a cost to create (never a monetary one).

First topic was posted by a Junior Member.
Second topic was posted by a newbie.
Third topic was posted by a Full Member

So the user from the first topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=2266720 has started a total of 5 topics, all in the same two day window.

They are all of a generally low quality and two of them have really bad titles.

What if he could only start 3 topics in the two day window rather than five? What if he could only start 1 topic per day?

Syscoin has the best of Bitcoin and Ethereum in one place, it's merge mined with Bitcoin so it is plugged into Bitcoin's ecosystem and takes full advantage of it's POW while rewarding Bitcoin miners with Syscoin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
vit05

Activity: 672
Merit: 526

View Profile
October 04, 2018, 04:38:30 AM

I imagine most people who create these topics have some other accounts. They create to fulfill the quota of posts they need for their campaigns, and a topic with a silly and simple question is easy to answer multiple times using multiple accounts. I liked your suggestions, I believe that reducing the number of topics that can be created in each ranking could help a lot, but it would not be enough.

I remember when I moderated a forum that used the SMF, it was possible to see the IP of who posted easily. It was often clear when it was a person using alt accounts. Of course, many users should be using TOR and masking their IP. But I imagine that it should not be so difficult to ban in mass users that are in the forum with the only purpose of posting shit for campaigns of shitcoins.

By decreasing the number of users who only post spam, those that remained could continue participating and promoting several projects. Helping to spread knowledge and wealth using Bitcoin. I like this statement that theymos made about these users and the gain they have with the forum.

So I am very happy to see people from poorer countries on this forum and in the Bitcoin ecosystem generally, acting with ambition. IMO Bitcoin was created in part to help break down the artificial barriers which are keeping these people from prosperity. Though no amount of this sort of thinking excuses those who choose to post garbage posts, for whatever reason. I hope that we can eventually reach a balance on the forum which will satisfy the forum's primary mission of enabling real discussion while also continuing to create opportunities for many people.

Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 2449

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2018, 05:33:37 AM

The only good thing about those titles is that they serve as a warning. I don't bother to open them.

The other annoying newbie habit ( and one that some members who ought to know better have as well ). Is the full nested quotes. Especially when it includes the opening post. I'm putting most of the perpetrators on ignore, but it is making it difficult to find posts to award with merits. I seem to be giving more to legendaries and heroes because of these annoying posting habits.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
Don Pedro Dinero
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1497

The first decentralized crypto betting platform

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2018, 06:27:46 AM

It pisses me off to be honest. But as Jet Cash says the title is a good indicator of the crap that’s in it most of the times. I was going to merit a post once and I told OP to correct the misspelling before I did, otherwise I wouldn’t have merited him. Everyone can misspell at some point but it most cases you see that apart of not having a good English level, they don’t care at all.

The other annoying newbie habit ( and one that some members who ought to know better have as well ). Is the full nested quotes. Especially when it includes the opening post. I'm putting most of the perpetrators on ignore, but it is making it difficult to find posts to award with merits. I seem to be giving more to legendaries and heroes because of these annoying posting habits.

When I joined the forum and started quoting I was quoting like that. It took me 2 or 3 months to realize how higher ranks were quoting, work out how to do it and start doing it. In ignoring them, you may be ignoring some worthy of merit posters, and they may change that habit later on.

KonstantinosM (OP)

Activity: 1490
Merit: 763

Life is a taxable event

View Profile
October 04, 2018, 06:31:06 AM

The only good thing about those titles is that they serve as a warning. I don't bother to open them.

Well said, although they are stealing front page space from better topics. I guess the real problem is when people reply to them and bump them to the top over and over.

I'll occasionally spot a topic with a bad title, and I want to reply to it but I end up skipping it because I don't want to bump yet another reputation burning (for the forum) topic title to the top of the list.

Is that when people reply to posts by hitting quote instead of reply, times infinity? I've done that before but I always felt like there was an invisible line, and I'd better keep myself on one end of it.

Syscoin has the best of Bitcoin and Ethereum in one place, it's merge mined with Bitcoin so it is plugged into Bitcoin's ecosystem and takes full advantage of it's POW while rewarding Bitcoin miners with Syscoin
Starfranko

Activity: 672
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 04, 2018, 08:20:25 AM

My opinion is that posters should learn to take time to read and analyse whatever they are posting to be sure that it enriches the discussion we having here. Posting gabbages not only demeans the poster but it also belittles the significance and importance attached to the post.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: