Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 10:52:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 questions (Merit & Spam related). Higher ranked opinion needed.  (Read 368 times)
examplens
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 3160

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2018, 10:42:25 AM

I know few guys from few Telegram group who posted an article, it's just a more perfidious way to get attention on his posts.
I always mark them as spam. Also here on btctalk

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
vlad230

Activity: 616
Merit: 279

View Profile
September 25, 2018, 10:49:16 AM

1 - Newbie starts a topic - copy/paste content from bitcoin-related article + link (so no plagiarism), no own thoughts nor any other contribution. Is it treated as spam and should it be reported to mods, or is it allowed and we should just ignore it?

2 - Would you reward a Newbie with his 1st merit point, if you see a decent post of his and/or engagement in discussion, but his posting history is, in vast majority, bounty-campaign proof posts? Do you consider such people as spammers, or you just ignore campaign-report posts? After all, they don't pollute the forum and are contained in dedicated threads.
I'm not really a high ranked member so, you can take it as is - a Full Member opinion:

1. I would treat that as spam, Bitcoin & Altcoin Discussions is already full of things like this, we all read the news no need to post it again if you don't have opinions on it.

2. No, I would not award merit for spammers, or users that have their main post history composed of endless bounty quotes, because that means they're not here to learn about bitcoin but just to make money.
amishmanish
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1158

View Profile
October 10, 2018, 03:48:40 AM

Great Questions. The agreement seems to be:

1. Article based posts without original thought don't deserve merit.
2. If post history is mostly quoted reports, we should wait at least 2 months from zero-day.

1 – I ignore these posts.
2- --snip--
 In these cases I’d rather wait, and if the trend continues and we cross paths again, I may merit the him further down the road. What I don’t want is to reward a momentary change of attitude, and my doubts there can only be dissipated over a larger period of time.

1) I hate these threads.......they would be better off starting a topic in their own words and still link to the article.
....Most of them are likely former bans for plagiarism.....They are not here to contribute they are here to earn and boost their post count.

2)....I did look st their history and they by no means spammed the forum, there were legitimate decent posts in between bounty applications.

I may have held off if the only decent post they had made came after the 1 merit rule, just to make sure it wasn't only to earn a merit and was part of a greater trend towards Improvement.

Question 1:
--snip-- If copy-pasting articles makes up the majority/all of their posts, I report their most recent one and explain they are a serial spammer....

Question 2:
No, I would not merit them. If you ask me again in a month, and that user has shown a sustained effort over a month or longer to improve their post quality and engage in discussion I may. At the moment, there are just too many newbies itching to go back to their spamming ways as soon as they get that elusive one merit.

My thoughts are the same on this. I am maintaining a list of zero-merit newbies to later check back on. Probably others are doing it too. My suggestion to newbies would be to refrain from campaigns that want you to post nested reports on their ANN page. Go with  the ones which allow filling through Google forms. This way you can maintain a better presence of forum and avoid being ignored by most merit-givers.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: