Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:46:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Old BT account names being used on other sites.  (Read 395 times)
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2018, 06:10:59 AM

This morning I have found an application to join the Fit to Talk project, and it is from a "Brand new" member. So far so good, but this brand new member joined in 2012. How do you think I should handle this? Obviously there is probably no point in sending a pm here, unless the account has been hacked.

My inclination is to send him an email, and ask him to confirm the account ownership via a BT pm. If it is confirmed, should I alert the mods here in case it is a hacked account?

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Cryptovator
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 2174

Need PR/CMC & CG? TG @The_Cryptovator

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2018, 06:14:23 AM
Last edit: October 09, 2018, 06:58:00 AM by Coolcryptovator

I don't think hackers are encourage to hack "Brand new" account. Most likely user woke up after long time (imo). Did you checked his post history?   I forgot Brand new hasn't activity as well.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
S_Therapist

Activity: 308
Merit: 277

View Profile
October 09, 2018, 06:25:05 AM

Did you checked his post history?
Jet Cash said 'Brand New' and isn't Brand New mean 0 activity?

@OP
There is no reason to hack a brand new profile, at least not for creating a profile in fit to talk. If someone wishes to create profile in fit to talk and he/she needs a BCT account, s/he can create one easily. That's why I think that's real account. BTW, it's my personal assumption only.

Exchase
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
CRYPTO EXCHANGE  │  MARGIN TRADING  │  TOKEN LISTING
CRYPTO-WALLET  │  CRYPTO-GAMES  │  CRYPTO LOANS
SOCIAL TRADING  │  P2P EXCHANGE  │  OTC TRADING
MONEY TRANSFER SYSTEM  │  BINARY OPTIONS
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2018, 06:29:12 AM

He is brand new, so he has never made any posts. However, your post made me realise that I should have checked for the date of last activity, so thanks for that.

Activity:    0
Merit:    0
Position:    Brand new
Date Registered:    16 September 2012, 17:11:14
Last Active:    16 September 2012, 18:10:5

I think I will just reject the application with the usual email, and assume that it is a non-member who just likes the name. If I see that he has posted here, then that would probably be the time to pm a mod.

Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
October 09, 2018, 09:55:57 PM

If someone deletes all his posts he becomes Brand New too?
It's possible that it's a brought account and the buyer just wanted a 'tabula rasa' to start from scratch with the new account (but it's highly unexpected, because he/she could easily register a new account on the forum with the same result...)
Strange anyway...
k0er
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1068

View Profile
October 09, 2018, 11:37:47 PM
Last edit: October 09, 2018, 11:53:05 PM by k0er

He is brand new, so he has never made any posts. However, your post made me realise that I should have checked for the date of last activity, so thanks for that.

Activity:    0
Merit:    0
Position:    Brand new
Date Registered:    16 September 2012, 17:11:14
Last Active:    16 September 2012, 18:10:5
~
There are a lot of similar accounts. They are sold in bulk. This is brute-force with a probability of 90%. But this doesnt prove if the account wasnt active in principle, and if there are no quotes from his posts. No address, how does he identify himself?
Similar accounts with the old registration date are also used by scammers for fake reviews.
example:

I sell regularly BTC / ETH at the rate of bitfinex
archive

All these accounts in one thread
Sergo    2011 reg      

They are all Newbie 2014 reg
best-miner1
BitcoinToTheMoon
Bob_is_the_uncle
ruster
elevy999            
greybird34
pattiso
Anubis13
domerdel

But when such an old account is active alone, and has no posts ... then it is difficult to identify it as hacked.
edited/

YANDEX
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
October 09, 2018, 11:48:15 PM

Do they have any post history?

Did you dig into it a bit with archive.com to see if there is anything in their history as to whether the account has ever been used or not....

There were a lot of sales of these old accounts as others have said and most likely, they aren't the original owner and just someone waiting to spam the ftt forum...
k0er
Legendary

View Profile
October 10, 2018, 12:02:17 AM

Do they have any post history?
Did you dig into it a bit with archive.com to see if there is anything in their history as to whether the account has ever been used or not....
~
of course. After awakening, only fake reviews in Russian. There scam noticeable immediately, without a doubt. But this isnt English..

YANDEX
Flash Cunt

Activity: 69
Merit: 12

View Profile
October 10, 2018, 07:47:19 AM

The sad part is that some great names have been registered and never used. That's a real waste.

Join Jet Cash and other BT members in the Ivory Tower coffee lounge
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
October 10, 2018, 10:17:42 AM

The sad part is that some great names have been registered and never used. That's a real waste.

Like satodhi, I want that name Grin.

But yeah, there are probably some great names hidden here that have never been used or have just been used to get and answer to a problem and then go away again never to come back...
k0er
Legendary

View Profile
October 10, 2018, 10:32:15 AM

~
"satodhi" is free, keep up while others are not occupied. rare Grin

YANDEX
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
October 10, 2018, 10:48:47 AM

~
"satodhi" is free, keep up while others are not occupied. rare Grin

Yeah... I'm trying to get used to a touchscreen keyboard. Clearly my autocorrect hasn't heard of satoshi.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2018, 11:14:23 AM

You need a netbook - It's got a touch screen and a keyboard.

jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
October 10, 2018, 05:56:39 PM

You need a netbook - It's got a touch screen and a keyboard.

I have a Bluetooth keyboard but it's on my desk and so far to walk to....
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2018, 06:39:12 PM

I used to use Google voice input, but that sometimes gave some strange results.

I thought of getting a bluetotth keyboard, but I decided I was better off just tethering the netbook.

hugeblack
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 3649

Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2018, 08:10:54 PM
Last edit: October 10, 2018, 09:58:19 PM by hugeblack

This morning I have found an application to join the Fit to Talk project, and it is from a "Brand new" member. So far so good, but this brand new member joined in 2012. How do you think I should handle this? Obviously there is probably no point in sending a pm here, unless the account has been hacked.

My inclination is to send him an email, and ask him to confirm the account ownership via a BT pm. If it is confirmed, should I alert the mods here in case it is a hacked account?
I do not think s/he can prove ownership of that account. This forum has been hacked more than once "2013 & 2015," and I think most of the old accounts locked.
S/He may misname the name, try searching for similar usernames.
If your goal is to educate people on  Fit to Talk project, it does not matter if that account hacked or not.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
October 10, 2018, 09:50:20 PM

I do not think s/he can prove ownership of that account. This forum has been hacked more than once "2013 & 2015," and I think most of the old accounts locked.
S/He may misname the name, try searching for similar usernames.
If your goal is to educate people on  Fit to Talk project, it does not matter if that account hacked or not.

It does indeed matter if they've hacked the account as giving them a ftt account means they are able to spam/scam on another forum and it doesn't seem the right thing to do to offer someone a place on a forum like that if their intentions are to spam it.
r1s2g3

Activity: 742
Merit: 395

I am alive but in hibernation.

View Profile
October 10, 2018, 10:31:22 PM
Last edit: October 10, 2018, 10:42:04 PM by r1s2g3

Brand New also mean that account is nuked or account is created but due to evil IP fees owner not able to use it here in BTT.
Might be that username is favorite or "first choice" of creating account for that user but not able to  use in BTT but still  use that username as first preference in other sites.

Second Probability is just by co incidence that user choose that name in Fit to talk. Did that user acknoledged/or said that BTT account belongs to him/her?

Edit:
Third Probablity: Just visited Fit to talk, someone is complaining that his friend is not able to register as friend do no have any BTT account, High possibility, that friend instead of creating a user account just decide to use a old account user name.(Why somebody will come to life, if somebody did not posted in last 6 years).
I guess, you can ask confirmation message from BTT account to your BTT account if someone i registering in Fit to  talk. 

I am alive
JetAid

Activity: 122
Merit: 20

Jet Cash's better half

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2018, 12:48:11 PM

I'm posting this as JetAid because Jet Cash has PMs from newbies and a number of members disabled, and Talk Merit is going the same way. It is not my policy to block membership to ignored members, and one lives in the hope that they can be persuaded to change their posting habits for the future.

It might be worth mentioning the name used by the applicant, it is "Nitro". Obviously this is a name that could be chosen by anyone hoping to join the project, and about half of the applicants appear to be by aspiring spammers. On reading the posts in this thread, I am starting to realise that a simple member name check may not be sufficient when reviewing applications., and I am considering sending PMs to applicants to confirm that the use of their name is authorised.  I'll provide a bit of an explanation as to why the name is so important.

The project is designed to help Bitcoin Talk members who don't have English as a first language. It has no aspirations to become a general Internet training site. It relies on ties with this forum, and as a result, it demands that applicants are active members of Bitcoin Talk. In order to check this, and to avoid possible accusations of plagiarism, applicants must use their Bitcoin Talk name as their public profile name on Fit to Talk. It is intended to help people with an interest in crypto-currencies, and the emerging government digital currencies. If a prospective member is not prepared to join Bitcoin Talk, then I would doubt his sincerity. There is a possible issue where a member has been banned from the Bitcoin Talk forum, and I think I need to rely on the mods here to make the decision. If the mods are prepared to lift the ban, then he is good to go on Fit to Talk. If a ban stays as a permanent ban, then it can create a conflict of interest, and I regret that I will have to decline the application. Most bans seem to be the result of plagiarism, and FtT is designed to help people to create original English comments. My advice is to get help in creating good English posts, and don't risk getting a permaban because of your impatience.

The project needs to be off-site for a number of reasons. I need to have full control of membership and moderation. We allow Google translations, and attempts to post in English that may be difficult to understand, and these are made to help the poster to improve his English. There is quite a range of topics that are used to practice English, and they may not all be suitable for Bitcoin Talk - examples are cooking, dogs, travelling, women's underwear, historical facts and personal experiences.

I disabled Fit to Talk registrations because of applications by non-member spammers. Click here to send me a PM if you would like to join.
darklus123

Activity: 1246
Merit: 588

View Profile
October 11, 2018, 12:53:04 PM

Weird, tho as per your rule that we should use our own BT account name in your fit to talk project. I think you should not accept the request since that is against your rule right?

I think aside from the reason that it was hacked is that it is just an alt account of an active member here and wasn't been using the account since then. First is i guess to ask that user if he/she has other accounts registered here that are currently active.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2018, 02:58:22 PM

There isn't really a lot of advantage in joining if you don't want to practice English, or to help others with their translation. You can't hunt for bounties, or spam TwitBook or health products. You can't earn any merits either, unless you create a topic starting post that is eligible for posting on a Bitcoin Talk board.

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: