Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:30:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can You Make Money Mining Cryptocurrency At Home? Res. Elec. Rates Kill Profits!  (Read 665 times)
Marvell2

Activity: 1148
Merit: 132

View Profile
October 17, 2018, 06:09:50 AM

In winter, the profit increases slightly because you reduce heating costs. Rigs provides enough heat to heat nearby space. In addition, to reduce the cost of electricity, you need to reduce the consumption to a minimum, and undervolt the core of Rx 570 to 830-850 mV.

This is not necessarily true. It depends where you live.

If you live in a cold climate and the main source of heat is by natural gas, then mining with electricity will not always offset your heating costs.

In general using electricity to a main source of heat is not very efficient so many cold climates adapted to natural gas. And natural gas is usually capped in the winter so even if its -30C people can still afford to heat their homes.

wrong again, I live in north dakota its cold as hell here and we use gas for heat and water but, ive turned. my gas off for two years now, 100 gpus easily actually overheats the house and fully powers my hybrid heat pump water heater, I run heat pump only mode , this year i used only 350khw on water heateing and i pay zero for house heating.  I also hand dry everything

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Marvell2

Activity: 1148
Merit: 132

View Profile
October 17, 2018, 06:11:46 AM

In winter, the profit increases slightly because you reduce heating costs. Rigs provides enough heat to heat nearby space. In addition, to reduce the cost of electricity, you need to reduce the consumption to a minimum, and undervolt the core of Rx 570 to 830-850 mV.

If you live in a cold climate and the main source of heat is by natural gas, then mining with electricity will not always offset your heating costs.

In general using electricity to a main source of heat is not very efficient so many cold climates adapted to natural gas. And natural gas is usually capped in the winter so even if its -30C people can still afford to heat their homes.

btw i have a 2800 square foot house rigs are in the basement.  Its currently 40 degrees and i have to open 3 windows lol
and turn on my basement windows 3k cfm intakw fan or it would be a sauna
VoskCoin (OP)

Activity: 1414
Merit: 487

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2018, 01:54:43 PM

If you guys believe in BTC, then mine whatever alt you are mining and sell for BTC and hold that BTC for months...years

If you guys believe in ETH, then mine ETH, and cold storage it and hold it for months...years

If there are some promising alts/token that can change the world, then sell some of your mined BTC or ETH and buy those tokens and hold for months...years

There were many cycles like this in the past. The true believer kepts mining at a loss or break-even just to accululate some coins and in the end it always paid off.
yup , those guys that kept mining dash and ltc and even vertcoin back in 2013 laugh at these posts

I'm not here to hate on mining, just at my electric rate I would be better off simply buying most coins (currently) & I could sell my hardware for some change and dump that straight into any coins I want increasing my holdings w/ zero work after selling the gear

VoskCoin your vids are spot on. Always seems to be the most relevant at the time. Can you comment on your buying coins argument with knowing in most cases people are buying them from an exchange and thus may not be as much of an anonymous transaction? When I'm mining to a crypto address using free email for instance with SMOS am I not in a roundabout way collecting coins that can't "easily" be traced to me as a taxpayer? Nobody really directly has been given my ID as if when using an exchange. If I have to pay a little in electricity cost isn't there some value to that? I know the blockchain isn't private and the transactions themselves in most cases can be traced to one another but it just seems a pretty difficult task for someone to go out of their way to find my front door. Nothing's impossible but in all the discussion I read so far no one seems to see value here. Before someone says it I'm not in it for criminal intent and I know that when you trade into anything else, crypto, fiat even goods and services you owe some taxes. Most times when you do that you've exposed yourself anyway.

thanks my friend!

I absolutely see huge value in what you're talking about, I think as far as "mainstream" miners go they do not care too much about this but I'm 100% behind it because its '"crypto" currency not digital currency right? lol

I think that is one of the few selling points left for residential mining is seamless acquisition of coins that never go through an exchange. Also as you said its not because of "criminal intents" it is just nice to have some privacy in the digital age.

Also you may like Cryptopia because you have withdraw about 3500 USD daily w/o uploading any form of ID

Check out my Crypto YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/VoskCoin
If you enjoy my content click Subscribe
VoskCoin (OP)

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2018, 01:55:38 PM

wrong again, I live in north dakota its cold as hell here and we use gas for heat and water but, ive turned. my gas off for two years now, 100 gpus easily actually overheats the house and fully powers my hybrid heat pump water heater, I run heat pump only mode , this year i used only 350khw on water heateing and i pay zero for house heating.  I also hand dry everything

perfect time to show us some sweet pictures of the setup Cheesy

VoskCoin (OP)

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2018, 01:56:35 PM

For current conditions, I stopped first for mining. the risk of electricity costs is a major factor in mining. I experienced it, electricity costs are very large while mining products do not increase because the crypto market value is not in a favorable condition.

did you sell your gear or are you keeping it and simply turned it off?

VoskCoin (OP)

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2018, 02:04:16 PM

If you guys believe in BTC, then mine whatever alt you are mining and sell for BTC and hold that BTC for months...years

If you guys believe in ETH, then mine ETH, and cold storage it and hold it for months...years

If there are some promising alts/token that can change the world, then sell some of your mined BTC or ETH and buy those tokens and hold for months...years

There were many cycles like this in the past. The true believer kepts mining at a loss or break-even just to accululate some coins and in the end it always paid off.
yup , those guys that kept mining dash and ltc and even vertcoin back in 2013 laugh at these posts

I'm not here to hate on mining, just at my electric rate I would be better off simply buying most coins (currently) & I could sell my hardware for some change and dump that straight into any coins I want increasing my holdings w/ zero work after selling the gear

exactly, in fact in most cases investing directly in crypto is more profitable and less trouble. the mining game has changed, you can't compete with those large operators that have access to almost "free" power and buy mining rigs/asics at a much cheaper rate than any of us. also when it comes to large mining farms, a huge farm in the US can't compete with on in Georgia for an instance, based on 2 main factors  
1- power cost.
2- shipping cost.

if you look at large data you will be surprise how much does your location matter in terms of overall cost, when you want to transfer thousands of asics from mainland china to the states you don't expect to compete with a farm in china located next door to bitmain warehouse.

mining as for now is a big gamble, if you are not making in profit or barely making any , and you say to yourself , ok i will just turn my rigs/asics off till prices recover, then you putting yourself in a great risk, the technology is moving fast. your gears will be worthless in couple months.

in plain english, mining is not for everyone as of today, it's a real business that involves great risks and one should think twice and do all the research needed before jumping into the game. people need to understand that 2017 is long gone.

agreed, what I think is really odd is the amount of people holding their gear that they have turned off. That to me and also as you said -- a huge risk -- risky gear for mining risky coins lol

That's a poll I ran on the 26th, not the biggest sample size but definitely an idea.

The odds of that gear going way up in value when coin prices go up vs new gear being out when said coins go up in value . . . . well I know where I am placing my bets

++ if the coins skyrocket in value to warrant this gear being very profitable to mine with again or up in value and X user plans to sell it . . . he probably would have made more money doing nothing if he was just holding crypto

Basically how my thought process boiled down . . sell gear, hodl some coins -- it'll be clear when it makes sense for me to get back into GPU mining

Dig Bicks

Activity: 348
Merit: 22

View Profile
October 18, 2018, 10:17:03 PM

MY friend made over 70 thousand mining raven coin before it got listed on coinmarketcap.  You can still make a lot of profit but you have to mine the coins the moment they are released and are still unknown.  So you have to do a lot of research to find them.
VoskCoin (OP)

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2018, 11:29:06 PM

MY friend made over 70 thousand mining raven coin before it got listed on coinmarketcap.  You can still make a lot of profit but you have to mine the coins the moment they are released and are still unknown.  So you have to do a lot of research to find them.

I agree speculative mining is one of the only real viable options left for making impressive earnings

what price did he sell @?

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: