Bitcoin Forum
October 19, 2018, 07:55:40 AM *
News: Make sure you are not using versions of Bitcoin Core other than 0.17.0 [Torrent], 0.16.3, 0.15.2, or 0.14.3. More info.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you feel about ICO/Cryptos using children  (Read 118 times)
LeGaulois
Copper Member

Activity: 854
Merit: 877

Bitcoin Ninja Unregulated Banker Unbanking Folks

View Profile
October 11, 2018, 12:52:44 AM

How do you feel about ICO/Cryptos using children to promote their business online?

Whether using social networks,micro-blogging, videos, discussions, contents, telegram, etc. A lot of crypto projects are using children to work for them to market their products. Anyway, no matter how the principle to use children is here and we can not deny it. They are thousand and thousand from Tier 3 countries

While we blame large companies like Samsung to use children to work, mining gold in Africa, clothes in Bangladesh, etc... using children "to work" for an ICO/crypto is not much different. OK the kid in a gold extraction plan works in terrible conditions, while bounty hunter just have to go to the cyber cafe sits on a chair but I don't think they should be proud to pay children to make a slave work
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
crypt0j0e

Activity: 115
Merit: 2

Staker.network - POS Smart Contract ETH Token

View Profile
October 11, 2018, 04:52:51 AM

I don't think they should be proud to pay children to make a slave work

I'm not sure if you can call vlogging or other forms of crypto promotion actual slave work because the working conditions are much different than hard labor or sweatshops. Plus you could argue that they are giving children an opportunity to learn valuable social skills and earn money for their future education.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 2534
Merit: 1761

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2018, 04:58:43 AM

Plus you could argue that they are giving children an opportunity to learn and earn money for their future education.

That argument would be rejected in any modern society. 

Children are gullible, vulnerable and exploited daily.  They should not worry about money.  They need to be loved and be free to have fun until they are old enough to be responsible.
TTshingeki

Activity: 98
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 11, 2018, 01:17:48 PM

I believe they take advantage of children to promote for their business.
orions.belt19

Activity: 462
Merit: 112

View Profile
October 11, 2018, 02:21:59 PM

By children, around what age range are we talking about? 8 - 10 years old? 12? Either way, I think it's horrible that this kind of practice is being tolerated in some countries - good working conditions or not. Children are not meant to be used for labor. It's never going to be okay whether it involves manual labor or simply an online task. This is parallel to slavery - almost even worst. Countries where this is being practiced should strictly enforce laws against child labor whether its tier 3 or third world or whatnot.
LeGaulois
Copper Member

Activity: 854
Merit: 877

Bitcoin Ninja Unregulated Banker Unbanking Folks

View Profile
October 11, 2018, 03:09:43 PM
Merited by The Pharmacist (1)

I don't think they should be proud to pay children to make a slave work

I'm not sure if you can call vlogging or other forms of crypto promotion actual slave work because the working conditions are much different than hard labor or sweatshops. Plus you could argue that they are giving children an opportunity to learn valuable social skills and earn money for their future education.

A child has nothing to do in a environmental work, it's not his place. His place is at school, practice a sport, to get fun, etc otherwise personal development cannot be done properly. I talked about children working to mine gold, they don't have an education and it will cause them problems when they will be an adult. Shit jobs, a not so good social circle and so on. Education is everything, in some countries you are recognized and respected depending on your level.
To learn valuable social skills? Oh man, they don't learn anything other than spamming the web, and there are far more important things to learn. They probably have no idea how laws are created and voted, and by who, in their own country.

By children, around what age range are we talking about? 8 - 10 years old? 12? Either way, I think it's horrible that this kind of practice is being tolerated in some countries - good working conditions or not. Children are not meant to be used for labor. It's never going to be okay whether it involves manual labor or simply an online task. This is parallel to slavery - almost even worst. Countries where this is being practiced should strictly enforce laws against child labor whether its tier 3 or third world or whatnot.

15-18? At 18 you are still a teen. But I know some are under 15
jeffthebaker
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1018

Alfa-Enzo:Introducing the First Global Supermarket

View Profile
October 11, 2018, 05:48:51 PM

I started working for crypto when I was 15 years old (late 2013). For me, crypto was a wonderful opportunity because I could earn a lot more money online than I could at a min wage bagboy job or other online methods. I was 16 when I started writing for news sites and at 20 I work with several major projects in the space.

I think a lot of the argument comes down to the nature of the cihild's work. Did they engulf themselves into the space on their own free will, or were they coerced/forced. There is nothing wrong with the first scenario, imo, and everything wrong with the second. I don't think many are arguing that the 12 year old Pocketful of Quarters CEO is being abused. If they are being forced to sit online and promote scam ICOs for pennies an hour that is obviously an issue. If they choose to do it and get paid $20/hour that's not a problem.

To clarify, I'm not from a tier 3 or developing country, either.
CryptopreneurBrainboss

Activity: 258
Merit: 33

STOP SPAM, LETS MAKE BITCOINTALK GREAT AGAIN!!!

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2018, 08:01:13 PM

The question should be directed to the elites in the industry, what are they doing to prevent/put a stop to this. A system is decentralized does not mean there shouldn't be rules and regulations governing the system. Remember the saying. "Freedom without boundaries is bondage".
Because there aren't any rule governing the bounty system, they feel they can get away with any crime and true they do.
avilsd

Activity: 105
Merit: 12

View Profile
October 17, 2018, 10:57:06 AM
Merited by The Pharmacist (2)

Take a look at one of the highest paid YouTubers out there, Ryan's Toy Reviews. Obviously he's not cashing in the $10-15M annual profits. It's his parents. But in doing so, they're securing the 5 year old's future for 3 generations to come. Sure, they probably force him to do videos on days where he's not feeling all too well.. but most days, he's enjoying himself. Doing what he likes.

There are a lot of families that will use their kids for photo-ops (politicians or executives at companies), bring their kids to work in to soften up fellow employees / partners for deals and public perception, and monetize them online with blogs / SMM pages. As long as the kid isn't being abused and doesn't hate what his parents are doing, it's fine. Is it unethical under certain eyes? Sure. But it all depends on the culture and perspective.

With crypto it's the same thing. I haven't personally seen it that much on here as with other industries, but there's a reason kid stuff has generally higher CPM / RPM advertising rates than other industries. I mean let's compare YouTube CPMs for Crypto, Kids, Music and controversial content (swearing, 18+ stuff that can feature violent video games or topics like medical marijuana): CPM (cost per 1K views, regardless of monetized or unmonetized) - Crypto = $3-6 direct through Adsense while external would be $5-25, Kids = $5-12 direct, Music $1-2* (varies highly, for example if VEVO or outside), controversial content $.10-$.6.

Crypto and Kids are 2 of the best industries for monetization. Finance is great but it doesn't have the same hype as both kids stuff and crypto enthusiaists.
TeQuiero

Activity: 35
Merit: 14

View Profile
October 18, 2018, 03:14:59 AM

~snip~

Life in third-world country is complicated, mate. If I could go back to when I was 12 or 13 and some people offered me 10-20 USD for a couple of hours sitting in a coffee, doing some non-against the law light work, I would have said agree without any hesitation (yes you may say I would be promoting some scam ICOs but like I said people born in poor couldn't care that much).

In developed countries, jobless people even may get subsidy from government and have some kind of "traveling" to developing countries but on the contrary, there's nothing like "unemployment benefit" in those you called Tier 3 countries. Children in developing countries have tendency to earn & save money since early ages. I would say I disagree using children for any laboring purposes but in some cases, if it is fair (win-win) situation, everything should be acceptable.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.