Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:04:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain and carbon credits market.  (Read 370 times)
HerZika

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 21, 2018, 09:54:42 PM

I've seen many projects about this but it seems most of them are lacking on something. Carbon credit market is a billion dollar industry and applying blockchain will be good for both industry.

Many project ICOs doing this and one of that is Zero Carbon Project. Its UK based project with good team. Carbon is world issue and i am believe it will going good project for crypto community

I checked with them yesterday. I saw some sentences on their articles that are a bit questionable. For example, there is one article that says you can buy carbon credits through their market, but when I ask them on Telegram, they said ZCP doesn't sell carbon credits. So I stopped and maybe will just check with them again after few months.

Someone posted here about Veridium. Also a carbon credit marketplace. They sell carbon credits and the credits are verifiable through IHS Markit. Which is a good point.

A lot of good green projects recently. I hope these projects will be successful. It will be very beneficial for both blockchain and carbon trading market.

I also heard about Veridium a couple of months ago when IBM announced a partnership with them. I have been following them ever since and really like the project so far.
First thing that I check on those projects is the team and Veridium`s team is really a strong one.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Matthewmorris4

Activity: 350
Merit: 10

BitbondSTO.com | Germany’s First STO | Earn Stable

View Profile
October 21, 2018, 10:05:03 PM

Actually blockchain can work for every industry. How about IBM?

IBM thinks blockchains can help reduce carbon emissions

I searched for projects that focuses with it and they are plenty of them, I'm not sure on who are the legit ones.

in my opinion no, other industries that are not within the scope of technology will only be a useless plan if only applying blockchain technology in it without seeing the potential for the future that can bring benefits.

HerZika

View Profile
October 21, 2018, 10:07:54 PM

Carbon credit market is a billion dollar industry and applying blockchain will be good for both industry.

It might further questionable political agendas and help to grow crypto markets while legitimizing blockchain technology. Aside from that it won't accomplish much.

The reason carbon credits don't work is they fail to address the real factors affecting our climate. Emissions aren't the main concern. The real issue is between 20% and 80% of the world's natural forests being cut down which greatly reduces the earth's capacity to absorb carbon. Trees function as natural carbon sinks, trapping carbon and storing it for many years.

The secondary issue is: drought. Trees absorb water from their roots and evaporate it through their leaves. This evaporated water generates rainfall. Rising occurrence of drought in the world is also linked to deforestation. If you want concrete evidence of this, deforestation of the amazon rainforest in brazil is linked to their drought issues.

The ideal policies to address climate change are: afforestation. Seed bombings. Addressing desertification.

The way policies like carbon credits are issued is also extremely disproportionate. America's business is punished far more severely than business in china, despite chinese business being vastly more polluting and environmentally damaging than american business. In that we could see political angles being revealed in how the establishment chooses to pursue issues relating to climate change.

I agree with you that deforestation is a bigger problem than emissions but money that is used to purchase those carbon credits can be used for planting new trees.
HerZika

View Profile
October 21, 2018, 10:17:58 PM

Actually blockchain can work for every industry. How about IBM?

IBM thinks blockchains can help reduce carbon emissions

I searched for projects that focuses with it and they are plenty of them, I'm not sure on who are the legit ones.

in my opinion no, other industries that are not within the scope of technology will only be a useless plan if only applying blockchain technology in it without seeing the potential for the future that can bring benefits.

I would not agree with that. Blockchain provides an opportunity to equitably manage the world’s shared natural capital. Decentralization provides new structures for collaboration and technological solutions that allow people to take accountability for assets that are shared among large groups of people.

A project that I am currently following and that I mentioned above, and that is even mentioned in the article you quoted - Veridium, explained this really well on page 11 of their whitepaper. https://veridium.io/static/whitepaper.pdf
jcarlo

Activity: 798
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 22, 2018, 12:20:20 AM

I've seen many projects about this but it seems most of them are lacking on something. Carbon credit market is a billion dollar industry and applying blockchain will be good for both industry.

I am believe it will be a new industry in near future. Peoples right now already aware about environment and they want a clean energy. I am believe there is a blockchain project about carbon credit because blochchain is good technology and can applied in many thing
iarsenaux15 (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 99
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 22, 2018, 01:38:17 AM

I am believe it will be a new industry in near future. Peoples right now already aware about environment and they want a clean energy. I am believe there is a blockchain project about carbon credit because blochchain is good technology and can applied in many thing

I hope so too. Carbon credits is one of the solutions to slow down global warming and fight climate change but it is failing due to iliquidity and lacks o transparency. I believe if there is a good blockchain project that will handle carbon credits properly, it will serve its purpose properly.
iarsenaux15 (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 99
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 25, 2018, 03:28:07 AM

Check this article that I found.

"Adding 1% to all the goods and services we consume would create an Environmental Super Fund that would dwarf the total aggregate budget for all environmental NGOs worldwide (the annual budget of the world's largest environmental NGO, WWF, for example, is just $250 million)."

Source: https://www.euronews.com/2018/10/24/tying-ourselves-to-trees-won-t-solve-climate-change-view

If the environmental damages of the goods and services that I am purchasing can be neutralized by paying an extra 1%, I wouldn't mind paying the 1% extra at all. How about you guys?
spongegar

Activity: 476
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 12, 2018, 04:01:39 AM

Well, blockchains are flexible in a way that we could actually use it for different industries, businesses or sectors of the government. Heck we can even use it to vote. I think people in power should see how great it is to use blockchain technologies and apply it so that we can see that we don't jist use it for crypto currency.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬ |  𝗘𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲𝘂𝗺 𝗖𝗹𝗮𝘀𝘀𝗶𝗰 𝗩𝗶𝘀𝗶𝗼𝗻    ▬▬  ▬▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬
▬▬ ▬▬ ▬▬ Hard fork Ethereum  ▬▬▬ ▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬  11.1.19  ▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬  ANN  ▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬ All Ethereum holders will receive 3 ETCV ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬  Telegram  ▬▬▬▬▬  Twitter  ▬▬▬▬  White Paper  ▬▬▬ ▬▬
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: