Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 07:04:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 20 Rules Followed by Professional Traders  (Read 286 times)
charlotte04

Activity: 504
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 11, 2018, 01:25:29 PM

Booking reliable profits in the financial markets is harder than it looks at first glance. In fact, it’s estimated that more than 80 percent of all participants eventually wash out and take up safer hobbies. But the brokerage industry rarely publishes client failure rates, since they're concerned the truth might scare off new accounts, so the washout rate could be much higher.

Long-term profitability requires two interrelated skill sets. First, we need strategies that make more money than they lose. Second, those strategies must perform well while the market shapeshifts through bull and bear impulses, with plenty of choppy periods in between. While many traders know how to make money in specific market conditions, like a strong uptrend, they fail in the long run because their strategies don't adapt to inevitable changes.

So can you break away from the pack and join the professional minority with an approach that raises your odds for long-term prosperity? Start with a clear and concise plan.

Now, internalize these 20 rules that long-time pros use to stay in the winner’s circle.

Follow Your Discipline
Discipline can’t be taught in a seminar or found in expensive trading software. Traders spend thousands of dollars trying to compensate for their lack of self-control but few realize that a long look in the mirror accomplishes the same task at a much cheaper price!

Lose the Crowd
Long-term profitability requires positioning ahead of or behind the crowd, but never in the crowd because that’s where predatory strategies target. Stay away from stock boards and chat rooms. This is serious business and everyone in those places has an ulterior motive.

Engage Your Trading Plan
Update your trading plan weekly or monthly to include new ideas and eliminate bad ones. Go back and read the plan whenever you fall in a hole and are looking for a way to get out.

Don’t Cut Corners
Your competition spends hundreds of hours perfecting strategies and you’re in for a rude awakening if you expect to throw a few darts and walk away with a profit. It’s even worse if you cut corners in the rest of your life because that bad habit is much tougher to break.

Avoid the Obvious
Profit rarely follows the majority. When you see a perfect trade setup, it’s likely that everyone else sees it as well, planting you in the crowd and setting you up for failure.

Don’t Break Your Rules
You create trading rules to get you out of trouble when positions go badly. If you don’t allow them to do their job, you’ve lost your discipline and opened the door to even greater losses.

Avoid Market Gurus
It’s your money at stake, not theirs. Keep in mind that they're probably talking up their positions, hoping the excited chatter will increase their profits, not yours.

Listen to Your Intuition
Trading uses the mathematical and artistic sides of your brain so you need to cultivate both to succeed in the long run. Once you're comfortable with math, you can enhance results with meditation, a few yoga postures or a quiet walk in the park.

Don’t Believe in a Company or a Product
If you're too in love with your trading vehicle, you give way to flawed decision-making. It’s your job to capitalize on inefficiency, making money while everyone else is leaning the wrong way.

Get Your Personal Life in Order
Whatever is wrong in your life will eventually carry over into your trading performance. This is especially dangerous if you haven’t made peace with money, wealth and the magnetic polarity of abundance and scarcity.

Don’t Try to Get Even
Drawdowns are a natural part of the trader’s life cycle. Accept them gracefully and stick to the time-tested strategies you know will eventually get your performance back on track.

Pay Attention to Early Warning Signs
Big losses rarely occur without multiple technical warnings. Traders routinely ignore those signals and allow hope to replace thoughtful discipline, setting themselves up for pain.

Don’t Confuse Execution With Opportunity
Traders make up for insufficient skills with expensive software, prepackaged with all sorts of proprietary buy and sell signals. These tools interfere with valuable experience because you think the software is smarter than you are.

Play With Your Head, Not Over It
It’s natural for traders to emulate their financial heroes but it’s also a perfect way to lose money. Learn what you can from others, then back off and establish your own market identity, based on your unique skills and risk tolerance.

Forget About the Holy Grail
Losing traders fantasize about the secret formula that will magically improve their results. In reality, there are no secrets because the road to success always passes through careful choice, effective risk management, and skilled profit taking.

Ditch the Paycheck Mentality
We’re taught to grind through the work week and then pick up our paychecks. This pay-for-effort reward mentality conflicts with the natural flow of trading wins and losses during the course of a year. In fact, statistics indicate that most annual profits are booked on just a handful of days the market is open for business.

Don’t Count Your Chickens
Feel good about a trade that’s going your way but the money isn’t yours until you close out. Lock in what you can as early as you can, with trailing stops or partial profits, so hidden hands cant pickpocket your success at the last minute.

Embrace Simplicity
Focus on price action, understanding that everything else is secondary. Go ahead and build complex technical indicators but keep in mind their primary function is to confirm or refute what your trained eye already sees.

Make Peace With Losses
Trading is one of the few professions where losing money every day is a natural path to success. Every trading loss comes with an important market lesson if you’re open to the message.

Beware of Secondary Reinforcement
Active trading releases adrenaline and endorphins. These chemicals can produce feelings of euphoria even when you’re losing money. In turn, this encourages addictive personalities to take bad positions, just to get the rush.

The Bottom Line
The vast majority of traders fail to tap their full potential, eventually cashing in their chips and finding more traditional ways to make money. Become a proud member of the professional minority by following classic rules designed to keep a razor-sharp focus on profitability.

All of these rules seem to me pretty useful so I have shared them with you. By the way most of all I liked the rule about avoiding the obvious.
The original article is available at https://www.investopedia.com/articles/active-trading/022715/20-rules-followed-professional-traders.asp

This is nice. I constantly always break my rules when it comes to trading and follow those signals and end up a failure that makes me sad in the end.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
October 11, 2018, 01:29:08 PM

Actually, I read so many theories, but it never suited me. When I started investing, all of that theory broke down. It does not help me. So I suppose we should try small investment first. If that fails, let's revise our strategy. After many failures, we will find the best strategy for ourselves and can earn a lot of money.

All points listed by OP have been rehashed for decades to make people understand the dos and don't in stock markets. If people after all this time still haven't figured out what the deal is when it comes to trading, they never will, especially not when it comes to crypto. You really have to figure out everything yourself, and this will make you lose a lot initially, but it's the only way to figure out what is the best way for YOU to trade, not what others think is the best way.

I have lost a lot with trading crypto in 2013/2014 which made me feel very uncomfortable back then, but looking back now, it was the best ever form of self education. It's up to people of course to read through tips and tutorials, but it's largely garbage. All the tips and tutorials you read into now (with a calm state of mind) are worthless when you're under pressure of potentially losing or making a lot money.

---

Can people ffs just stop quoting the entire OP? Thank you.
kikoy999

Activity: 429
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 11, 2018, 03:56:29 PM

This things will helo also in traders like me to know all good rules for investing in cryptocurrency.
To manage your funds in a good way and not in a risky way.

▁▁▁▁▁                 SECURE AND LICENSED CRYPTOCURRENCY EXCHANGE                 ▁▁▁▁▁
INVECH     WHITEPAPER | ANN THREAD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TELEGRAM | MEDIUM     INVECH
▔▔▔▔▔                   JOIN INVECH INITIAL EXCHANGE OFFERING NOW!                   ▔▔▔▔▔
omfg.xekcep (OP)

Activity: 798
Merit: 2

*** https://www.buying.com ***

View Profile
October 11, 2018, 04:53:19 PM

I found the excellent rule for myself "do everything in the opposite way to the way in which retail traders do things" because there is conflict of interest (smart money vs dumb money).

Do not forget that the biggest players of fees to exchanges are investment banks, hedge funds, pension funds. This is Wall street and they all work together and smart money requires dumb money to exist.

BUYING is here for you!
Meet buying.com’s
On-Demand Delivery System
-= https://www.buying.com =-
cluit
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1016

View Profile
October 13, 2018, 07:51:43 AM

Whatever is wrong in your life will eventually carry over into your trading performance. This is especially dangerous if you haven’t made peace with money, wealth and the magnetic polarity of abundance and scarcity.

I agree with this, emotions are always in our lives but when our emotions are unstable, and we are trading, it only makes our instincts unable to work because of confusion and cannot focus
A lot of suggestions that came to my attention when I started learning trading, mental, discipline and reading chart skills were the key to all that included emotions, I had experienced a 50% loss of my capital due to an unstable emotional situation, and made more than 50% profit when I have no problems in daily life
Emotions will always affect our trading, no doubt, but I feel the only way emotions can actually kick in hugely is when someone does not actually know what they are doing.

Sure, getting your personal life in order are things that will always help you but not a very huge criteria for someone who wants to be successful at trading, it is just a criteria for someone based on real life situations because no matter what you are doing, if your mental condition is in disarray and your personal life is messed up, the chances of focusing will be a lot hard, and that is something you really need when it comes to trading.
Osarman

Activity: 952
Merit: 503

View Profile
October 15, 2018, 06:43:13 AM

I really like this. There are people who till now they don’t know all these– some people still goes with the crowd till now and they never learn to trade with their head which is really bad for them. When loss occurs, accept it, profit doesn’t come at all times that’s why it is a risky business.

If you make a mistake, try to learn from your mistake. One of my friend who I once introduced to trading, decided to quit just because he lost once. That’s what happens when people keep on expecting profit only and counting their eggs before they hatch.
BitcoinCommodor

Activity: 504
Merit: 106

View Profile
October 17, 2018, 06:58:39 AM

Pretty good tips I must say, but like you said this is a tip that is actually applicable to professional traders and to be able to get to that stage; learning and consistent practice is always a parameter.

Actually there would always come to be a time when you are so deep in trading and you have great deal of knowledge that overcoming some of these things mentioned would be so easy and come naturally which is why knowledge and experience is always very important in any profession at all. If you know it, you know it, and you will always be confident with the decisions you make.
cfif123

Activity: 532
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 17, 2018, 07:20:53 AM

Booking reliable profits in the financial markets is harder than it looks at first glance. In fact, it’s estimated that more than 80 percent of all participants eventually wash out and take up safer hobbies. But the brokerage industry rarely publishes client failure rates, since they're concerned the truth might scare off new accounts, so the washout rate could be much higher.

Long-term profitability requires two interrelated skill sets. First, we need strategies that make more money than they lose. Second, those strategies must perform well while the market shapeshifts through bull and bear impulses, with plenty of choppy periods in between. While many traders know how to make money in specific market conditions, like a strong uptrend, they fail in the long run because their strategies don't adapt to inevitable changes.

So can you break away from the pack and join the professional minority with an approach that raises your odds for long-term prosperity? Start with a clear and concise plan.

Now, internalize these 20 rules that long-time pros use to stay in the winner’s circle.

Follow Your Discipline
Discipline can’t be taught in a seminar or found in expensive trading software. Traders spend thousands of dollars trying to compensate for their lack of self-control but few realize that a long look in the mirror accomplishes the same task at a much cheaper price!

Lose the Crowd
Long-term profitability requires positioning ahead of or behind the crowd, but never in the crowd because that’s where predatory strategies target. Stay away from stock boards and chat rooms. This is serious business and everyone in those places has an ulterior motive.

Engage Your Trading Plan
Update your trading plan weekly or monthly to include new ideas and eliminate bad ones. Go back and read the plan whenever you fall in a hole and are looking for a way to get out.

Don’t Cut Corners
Your competition spends hundreds of hours perfecting strategies and you’re in for a rude awakening if you expect to throw a few darts and walk away with a profit. It’s even worse if you cut corners in the rest of your life because that bad habit is much tougher to break.

Avoid the Obvious
Profit rarely follows the majority. When you see a perfect trade setup, it’s likely that everyone else sees it as well, planting you in the crowd and setting you up for failure.

Don’t Break Your Rules
You create trading rules to get you out of trouble when positions go badly. If you don’t allow them to do their job, you’ve lost your discipline and opened the door to even greater losses.

Avoid Market Gurus
It’s your money at stake, not theirs. Keep in mind that they're probably talking up their positions, hoping the excited chatter will increase their profits, not yours.

Listen to Your Intuition
Trading uses the mathematical and artistic sides of your brain so you need to cultivate both to succeed in the long run. Once you're comfortable with math, you can enhance results with meditation, a few yoga postures or a quiet walk in the park.

Don’t Believe in a Company or a Product
If you're too in love with your trading vehicle, you give way to flawed decision-making. It’s your job to capitalize on inefficiency, making money while everyone else is leaning the wrong way.

Don’t Try to Get Even
Drawdowns are a natural part of the trader’s life cycle. Accept them gracefully and stick to the time-tested strategies you know will eventually get your performance back on track.

Big losses rarely occur without multiple technical warnings. Traders routinely ignore those signals and allow hope to replace thoughtful discipline, setting themselves up for pain.

Don’t Confuse Execution With Opportunity
Traders make up for insufficient skills with expensive software, prepackaged with all sorts of proprietary buy and sell signals. These tools interfere with valuable experience because you think the software is smarter than you are.

Play With Your Head, Not Over It
It’s natural for traders to emulate their financial heroes but it’s also a perfect way to lose money. Learn what you can from others, then back off and establish your own market identity, based on your unique skills and risk tolerance.

Forget About the Holy Grail
Losing traders fantasize about the secret formula that will magically improve their results. In reality, there are no secrets because the road to success always passes through careful choice, effective risk management, and skilled profit taking.

Ditch the Paycheck Mentality
We’re taught to grind through the work week and then pick up our paychecks. This pay-for-effort reward mentality conflicts with the natural flow of trading wins and losses during the course of a year. In fact, statistics indicate that most annual profits are booked on just a handful of days the market is open for business.

Don’t Count Your Chickens
Feel good about a trade that’s going your way but the money isn’t yours until you close out. Lock in what you can as early as you can, with trailing stops or partial profits, so hidden hands cant pickpocket your success at the last minute.

Embrace Simplicity
Focus on price action, understanding that everything else is secondary. Go ahead and build complex technical indicators but keep in mind their primary function is to confirm or refute what your trained eye already sees.

Make Peace With Losses
Trading is one of the few professions where losing money every day is a natural path to success. Every trading loss comes with an important market lesson if you’re open to the message.

Beware of Secondary Reinforcement
Active trading releases adrenaline and endorphins. These chemicals can produce feelings of euphoria even when you’re losing money. In turn, this encourages addictive personalities to take bad positions, just to get the rush.

The Bottom Line
The vast majority of traders fail to tap their full potential, eventually cashing in their chips and finding more traditional ways to make money. Become a proud member of the professional minority by following classic rules designed to keep a razor-sharp focus on profitability.

All of these rules seem to me pretty useful so I have shared them with you. By the way most of all I liked the rule about avoiding the obvious.
The original article is available at https://www.investopedia.com/articles/active-trading/022715/20-rules-followed-professional-traders.asp

This is nice. I constantly always break my rules when it comes to trading and follow those signals and end up a failure that makes me sad in the end.
with the existence of this very useful rule we all especially new traders can know better when the market is decreasing, so we can also get profits and can avoid losses when we know the ways and rules as above
mrproblem

Activity: 392
Merit: 24

View Profile
October 17, 2018, 07:29:29 AM

subject seems really well, but also inside is more interesting. 20 rules is so much for a starter but I would like to mention about at least three important one of them for starters :

Follow Your Discipline
Discipline can’t be taught in a seminar or found in expensive trading software.

This should be first one but is not a lesson learn subject.

then you can follow second as third at below :

Big losses rarely occur without multiple technical warnings.

Don’t Break Your Rules
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: