Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:04:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bias on giving merit, forum negativity and positivity to the newbies.  (Read 741 times)
gellany32 (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 23, 2018, 02:14:36 AM
Last edit: October 23, 2018, 03:47:46 PM by gellany32

I know that it is not good to accuse higher ranks for a bias giving of merits. It is not good to generalize high rank users for the bias of giving merits.

No hurt feelings because this is only base on my observation after gone reading a lot in this section. Most of the merited post are from the high ranks (good posters). Absolutely a good post from a high rank user will then receive merits without hesitation. I bet some factors that will contribute to the bias decision of giving merit was because the poster is senior user, the merit giver is a sychopant user, the user display a good character in the forum which relatively the awarding of merit standards will be bend for a bit even if there were mispelled words and grammatical error.

The users of this photo had a good post and recieved lot of merits and I do not know if there were any lower ranks could be able to receive lots of merits like this.

https://i.imgur.com/dqMIxuZ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/KzMv9KT.jpg

Thus, bias giving of merit will only apply to high ranks users. And if you are a newbie trying hard to start a thread for merits then you will end up getting a lot of negative reply. I have seen some post started with newbies or lower ranks in their merit related post and definitely get a negative feed back.

NEWBIE + GOOD POST = IGNORE
HIGH RANK + GOOD POST = MERITS

What will be the impact for this to the newbie?

Simply it will inflict negativity to the newbie and will do the same with other newbies. It is just like a domino effect.

What will happen to the forum?
Bitcointalk will be full of newbies with negativity. This will not likely to make everybody enjoy the stay in the forum.

Anyway, not all high rank users will give negative feed back for the post because some of the high rank users were professional in dealing with newbies. I do appreciate them. I know one high rank user who were get tired of the negativity in the forum.

I'm fed up with ignore lists, reporting, blocked boards and all those negative technique that we seem to be forced into using here. They are necessary if one want to stay sane when looking for meritable posts.

I qouted this post from one of the good users here in the forum.

What could be the impact of the positivity  to the forum and cryptocurrency?

It will add and reflect good cryptocurrency discussions and active markets for cryptocurrency. A forum with good service will definitely help the crypto market to be active because some of the users here are also crypto contributors and investors.

Being rude to others must be put to a proper way of dealing it. Instead of posting rude comments to their threads, we have other option by using private message. If not then just ignore and never mind that poster.

Now, can we be more friendly? I  am started to worry now the possible replies.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 8906

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2018, 02:33:39 AM
Last edit: October 23, 2018, 02:48:26 AM by suchmoon
Merited by TMAN (5), Foxpup (4), LoyceV (2), DarkStar_ (2)

I would be far more friendly to you if you found an actual example of an undeserving user but LoyceV... come on, that's just plain stupid. roslinpl's post also deserves every merit it got. 1

Even if you had found a proper example that would still be short of actual proof. There is lots of merit data available. You could start by analyzing that and telling us where you see a bad pattern, as opposed to one or two user accounts. Hint: many capable data nerds (including LoyceV LOL) have done that and haven't reached the conclusion you're angling for.

And while we're using anecdotal evidence to make far-reaching conclusions:

I've been giving away free merits for a month now. You can follow the link in my signature to find out that there have been very few attempts to claim them. So I'm gonna file your claim under "utterly debunked".

1 - posts in OP's screenshots:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1727100
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1926895
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3078328
gellany32 (OP)

Activity: 26

View Profile
October 23, 2018, 03:37:18 AM

I would be far more friendly to you if you found an actual example of an undeserving user but LoyceV... come on, tl
User Loycev has commendable post and there is no arguing with that. The only thing i empasized the post is that if you are a high ranks bias meriting would be possible and if you were lower rank you will be less likely to receive one.
Jating

Activity: 2884
Merit: 783

View Profile
October 23, 2018, 04:11:43 AM
Merited by LoyceV (1), TMAN (1)

I would be far more friendly to you if you found an actual example of an undeserving user but LoyceV... come on, tl
User Loycev has commendable post and there is no arguing with that. The only thing i empasized the post is that if you are a high ranks bias meriting would be possible and if you were lower rank you will be less likely to receive one.

You can check this thread, Bitcoin Technical Support. There's a lot of newbies getting merited by higher rank member, why? its because they don't care about merits and they really deserves to be merited anyways. So there's no bias whatsoever. If higher ranks really see newbies showing quality post worth of at least 1 merit then they will give it hands down.

█████▄▄██
███▄█████
██▄███████▄
████████████████
███▀██████████▀
██▄████████████▄
░█████▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
████▀████████▀████
▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████▀███████▄████
███████▀▀▄▄▄█████
███████████████▀
████████████▀▀
OMBARD.com|.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
██████░██░████░██
▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄
▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀
██████████████
▄▄░▄▄▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀░▀▀▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀▀▀
██░██░██████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀
PICK,
PLAY,
PROSPER!

██████
██████████
██████████
██████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
█████████████████   ██
PROVABLY
FAIR
1%█████████████████   ██
HOUSE
EDGE
100%█████████████████   ██
DEPOSIT
BONUS
  Play now  
DarkStar_
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3282

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2018, 04:15:45 AM
Merited by TMAN (1)

Kinda ironic that you complain about bias but use a very biased selection of threads to complain about without direct links (possibly in attempt to obscure the content in them?)

taking a break - expect delayed responses
The Cryptovator
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 2165

Need PR/CMC & CG? TG @The_Cryptovator

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2018, 04:35:10 AM
Last edit: October 23, 2018, 06:37:50 AM by Coolcryptovator
Merited by TMAN (1)

Not agree with that, I was newbie and I have earned enough merit. Even my earned merit Sr. potential but I am still full member. You are wrong, why are you wrong? Just visit my merit history you will get answer. If you made quality post then you will get merit, no matter what is your rank.

Bitcointalk will be full of newbies with negativity. This will not likely to make everybody enjoy the stay in the forum.

Actually they are not newbie, they are spambie. To be honest I have visited you profile, your intention is only earn merit. You haven't contribute anything new. Just repeating old history.  

Edit
However, I want to confirm you even high rank member's  not encourage send merit to your good post then there is merit source. They will send merit you, you no need to ask or wait for old member's. But your post should be quality. Also admin encourage for meriting on good post ( not only better post). Let's see admin intention.
Well, the last instructions that I was given by theymos was as follows:

~snip

I recommend:
 - If a newbie posts something that could be even called good, then give them 1 merit. It doesn't need to be a great post.
 - It's best to use all of your source merit. If you don't naturally do so, try giving people more merit per post on average. If you don't send your source merit, then nobody gets it, but if you do send it, then the recipient can pass half of it on.

Thanks!

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
xtraelv
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1924

฿ear ride on the rainbow slide

View Profile
October 23, 2018, 05:00:07 AM
Last edit: October 23, 2018, 05:19:32 AM by xtraelv
Merited by LoyceV (1), TMAN (1)

I know that it is not good to accuse higher ranks for a bias giving of merits. It is not good to generalize high rank users for the bias of giving merits.

No hurt feelings because this is only base on my observation after gone reading a lot in this section. Most of the merited post are from the high ranks (good posters). Absolutely a good post from a high rank user will then receive merits without hesitation. I bet some factors that will contribute to the bias decision of giving merit was because the poster is senior user, the merit giver is a sychopant user, the user display a good character in the forum which relatively the awarding of merit standards will be bend for a bit even if there were mispelled words and grammatical error.

The users of this photo had a good post and recieved lot of merits and I do not know if there were any lower ranks could be able to receive lots of merits like this.

Thus, bias giving of merit will only apply to high ranks users. And if you are a newbie trying hard to start a thread for merits then you will end up getting a lot of negative reply. I have seen some post started with newbies or lower ranks in their merit related post and definitely get a negative feed back.

What will be the impact for this to the newbie?

Simply it will inflict negativity to the newbie and will do the same with other newbies. It is just like a domino effect.

What will happen to the forum?

Anyway, not all high rank users will give negative feed back for the post because some of the high rank users were professional in dealing with newbies. I do appreciate them. I know one high rank user who were get tired of the negativity in the forum.

I'm fed up with ignore lists, reporting, blocked boards and all those negative technique that we seem to be forced into using here. They are necessary if one want to stay sane when looking for meritable posts.

I qouted this post from one of the good users here in the forum.

What could be the impact of the positivity  to the forum and cryptocurrency?

It will add and reflect good cryptocurrency discussions and active markets for cryptocurrency. A forum with good service will definitely help the crypto market to be active because some of the users here are also crypto contributors and investors.

Being rude to others must be put to a proper way of dealing it. Instead of posting rude comments to their threads, we have other option by using private message. If not then just ignore and never mind that poster.

Now, can we be more friendly? I  am started to worry now the possible replies.

Brand new          0
Newbie               0
Jr Member          1
Member              10
Full Member      100

4 ranks up 100 merit required

"Senior members"
Sr. Member           250
Hero Member        500
Legendary           1000

3 ranks up 900 merit required

Stop whinging about it being unfair.
You only have to earn one merit to rank up to a Jr Member

Sometimes it takes weeks or months for a good post to be noticed.

Your focus shouldn't be on earning merits. I sometimes write posts that take hours to write and get no merits while others are one liners and get merits - it is up to others to decide whether they find them interesting or not. If you make enough good posts then you get merit for some.
I'm generally suspect of newbie accounts that moan about merits. They often turn out to be account farmers.

Before you complain about the system advantaging senior members:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5001019.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5024125.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5035336.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5035375.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4972467.0

It is neither hard to get merit - nor does it favor certain ranks. If your posts are consistently unique, informative and interesting then you will have no trouble gaining merit.

It is unrealistic to expect every good post to get merit. It is not a "participation prize"..

If your posts are cliche, regurgitated repeat topics,  complaining about merit, obvious merit farming or uninteresting then you will find it hard to get merit.

We are surrounded by legends on this forum. Phenomenal successes and catastrophic failures. Then there are the scams. This forum is a digital museum.  
* The most iconic historic bitcointalk threads.* Satoshi * Cypherpunks*MtGox*Bitcointalk hacks*pHiShInG* Silk Road*Pirateat40*Knightmb*Miner shams*Forum scandals*BBCode*
Troll spotting*Thank you to madnessteat for my custom avatar hat.
TMAN
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1808

Exchange Bitcoin quickly-https://blockchain.com.do

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2018, 05:11:40 AM

sent merits to everyone posting other than OP... maybe he will get the message now?

███████████████████████████
████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀████████
██████▀▄██▀▀▄▄ ████▄▀██████
█████ ███ ████ ▀▀████ █████
████ █████ ███▀▀▀▄████ ████
████ ███▀▀▀▄▄▄████████ ████
████ ██▄▄▀▀███████▀▄▄█ ████
█████ █████ █▀██▀▄███ █████
██████▄▀███▀▄█▀▄███▀▄██████
████████▄▄▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▄▄████████
██████████▀▄███████████████
██████████████████████████
.FORTUNEJACK   JOIN INVINCIBLE JACKMATE AND WIN......10 BTC........
█████████████████████████
██████▀▀▀       ▀▀▀██████
█████  ▄▄▄█████▄▄▄  █████
█████  █████ █████  █████
█████  ██▄     ▄██  █████
█████  ████   ████  █████
█████▄  ██▄▄█▄▄██  ▄█████
██████▄  ███████  ▄██████
███████▄   ▀▀▀   ▄███████
██████████▄▄ ▄▄██████████
Ispep

Activity: 154
Merit: 24

The future of security tokens

View Profile
October 23, 2018, 05:11:55 AM
Merited by TMAN (6), Foxpup (2), LoyceV (1), Jating (1)

Your assessment is basically wrong,not just cos I'm trying to leap to the support of anyone,but because I'll be using my own situation as a case study and I guess it'll take you back to the drawing board..

My account is barely 4 days old, and I've received 4 merits within that very short space of time("from high ranked members),that's just like approximately 1merit per day, my posts/comments definitely isn't the best,nor is it top notch, it just happens to strike one or two chords when it's seen

Noobs fail to understand that no one is under any obligation to rain merits on you, if a member wouldn't hand out merits to you, then we have the merit sources(and if they do not hand out merits to you, it's high time you go and check your ineptitude)...

You do not demand for merits,you earn it, and you definitely won't be earning any for this shitty post you've scribbled down here
I do not know if there were any lower ranks could be able to receive lots of merits like this.
The real and honest question should be how many percentage of noobs can actually take out their time to come up with something worth meriting,a large percent are simply lazy and cannot wait to get that elusive one merit and go right back into spamming
Coyster
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1227

'Life's but a walking shadow'!

View Profile
October 23, 2018, 05:22:36 AM

There are about 119 merit sources with about 22000 Smerits generated per 30days
If they definitely do not hand out merits to you, then nobody will(Then it's then down to your own ineptitude)

It's so easy for someone who's failing to blame others for his/her failures

████
████████
██████████
████████████
█░████████
███████████
████████████
██████████
 Ladies.de  ███████████████
████▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
██████████████████
████████████████
▐████████████████▌
░████████████
░███
███████████████
▐████
██████████████▌
░█████
██████████████
██▀███████
█████████▀
███████████████████
██████████████████
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
 LadiesStars  
▬▬▬▬

▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀
░░▐▌░░▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀░░▐▌░░
▀█▄▐▌▄█▀████████▀█▄▐▌▄█▀
▀████▀███████████▀████▀
███████████████
▀████▀███████████▀████▀
▀███▀

███████
siddartha1492

Activity: 952
Merit: 284

In love with Bitcoin!! 💓💕

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2018, 05:23:35 AM

I won't say bias. Just that people are a bit lazy. No one wants to dig around to find quality newbie posters. Whereas, hero/legendary members with a ton of green trust, shine among commoners. Also, many newbies post in altcoin/bounty/non-crypto sections where the chances of getting merits are even lower. I don't wanna say it, but a newbie has more chances of getting merits in meta section vs. other sections. Plus merit donors expect exceptionally high quality posts from newbies as they don't want to help rank up spammers or sometimes clever copy-paste posters. I personally prefer to give merits to lower ranked quality posters.

Peacemaker1994

Activity: 154
Merit: 2

View Profile
October 23, 2018, 05:25:33 AM

Well I think the post is very much unhealthy and born out share misunderstanding. The forum is well organised in various aspect and that's includes the merit awarding system

There are various merit source that diligently award smerit  to good post.
I think the op has not worked hard enough and don't deserve to be rewarded.

Let it be known that once you get your act right and become constructive then and only then can you get rewarded
Findingnemo

Activity: 2282
Merit: 727

Bitcoin = Financial freedom

View Profile
October 23, 2018, 05:25:53 AM

There are lot of newbies and other ranked members have reached out enough merits for their next rank up but they don't have activity count for that to reach their next rank which means newbies can get merit but not all of'em for that you need to get yousrelf noticed among the forum user,not just like a sheep among herd.

███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
View ArchiveReport to moderator
Upgrade00
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 2147

Professional Community manager

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2018, 05:29:17 AM

Firstly, a newbie shouldn't start a tread trying hard to get merits,  you should start a thread that would be helpful to others and qualitative trnough to improve your readers even slightly and you'd surely get a merited at some time if you keep at it and don't sti0 offering assurance if you don't get merited.

There are also merit sources who were charged with the duty of finding memorable posts and meriting it, and if you've paid close attention you would have felt their impact on the various boards.

Then there are stories of members here who would debunk your claim, Ddmrddmr who started from scratch with no airdropped merits and now has potential merit count and is only limited by activity. Including many others, some who have achieved different high ranks with no airdrop.

I also used to feel the merit system was abusive and biased till I changed my posting objective and I have since noticed changes.
So the negativity might probably be coming from you, and not other higher ranked members

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Looking-upto-vod

Activity: 42
Merit: 5

View Profile
October 23, 2018, 05:32:24 AM

Well I think the OP is really going of point. Just take me for example I am still a newbie and I got 3merit already.

The forum has been very transparent and straight forward as to regards smerit rewarding.

The fact that you made this post goes to show how unfocused you are. You can't be a shitty poster and expect to get merited for it.

Well you can go ahead and keep making shitty post and let us keep getting the merit
LoyceMobile

Activity: 1643
Merit: 683

LoyceV on the road. Or couch.

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2018, 05:40:42 AM

Here's your problem:
if you are a newbie trying hard to start a thread for merits

LoyceV on the road Advertise here for LN Don't deal with this account (exception)
Advertise here for LN Tip my kids
My useful topics: Meritt & Trust & Moreee Art Advertise here for LN Forum Features
Upgate

Activity: 560
Merit: 14

View Profile
October 23, 2018, 05:40:57 AM

Firstly rename this post as spam post from a spam guy seeking merit.
  Making post like this can not get you reward because it's annoying and unwise.

Yes I am new here but I have seen people get awarded. Well I think Mr OP has just created a shit post that has made me got merited lol

Have a positive attitude and contribute meaningfully to the forum then you can achieve anything. You don't have to come out here spreading fake and unnecessary post just like this one
DragonSlayer2018

Activity: 24

View Profile
October 23, 2018, 05:53:01 AM
Last edit: October 23, 2018, 06:47:47 AM by DragonSlayer2018

For my Observation here a lot of newbie complaining about merit I think you and I belong to that things but I'm new register here I don't know why they keep complaining. Since I see your thread How could you say merit is a bias since I did not see any spam comment or spam post from high-rank member yesterday I read one legendary member are keep spamming but many people are saying the legendary account was compromised by the hacker or he/she sell the legendary account to a newbie. I suggest stop complaining keep creating a good post constructive and helpful to member and also think positive merit will flow to your account slowly don't rush you will obtain your merit someday just think positive be your self-good luck.
Rosekaycee

Activity: 1

View Profile
October 23, 2018, 05:53:17 AM

Oops it's my birthday today and I new something good was come.  Never knew the avenue was going to be form a spamming guy making silly messed up post.

If you have your statistics correct you would know that the merit distribution is not a respecter of rank the are over 100 smerit source and you can't tell me all of them has the same vision hey come on they are humans not bot

Take a look at a post that got merit the OP is not even a full member
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2977357.msg30592114#msg30592114

Coming here making this will only discourage yourself
Ask yourself want your purpose of making this post it won't get you any where rather you will expose yourself to everyone as a spam poster

Gloverwrt

Activity: 126
Merit: 11

View Profile
October 23, 2018, 06:42:55 AM
Merited by Upgrade00 (2), DdmrDdmr (1)

In regards to the OP,  you are right to an extent. Members on the forum are naturally drawn to posts from other members they recognize as quality users on the forum, similar to a teacher who raises his/her expectation when it's time to grade the script of an A-list student.

That doesn't translate to a bias on other members, and there's no need to categorize it as a neglect of lower members, there are a lot of higher ranked members (earned or airdropped) who  gets neglected by members with smerits.

There is no bias against ranks, and no one owes you any merits.
And the merit system has been discussed so many times it's now a broken record. And if it doesn't favour you, it's biased and prejudiced and once you get them you realize you were only short changing yourself with your negativity.
Improve your post quality, and improve it further, and if you don't get it then, read more, interact more and improve it even further.
And through this, merit or not, you have become more knowledgeable which is the actual reason for the merit system.
And that is worth more in my opinion.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: