Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:03:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 927 People Own Half Of All Bitcoins? Not anymore!  (Read 3364 times)
porcupine87 (OP)

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

hm

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:05:54 PM

You articles like this:
"47 individuals own 28.9% of the approximately 12 million Bitcoins in existence so far."(although this number has changes. The top 100 addresses combine now 20.7%)
http://www.businessinsider.com/927-people-own-half-of-the-bitcoins-2013-12

So now we had a few big movements today.
There were this addresses:
https://blockchain.info/de/address/1Ewk1sqTMYw41aYgtQiWvuoZbGGa99wHyj
https://blockchain.info/de/address/1P3S1grZYmcqYDuaEDVDYobJ5Fx85E9fE9
https://blockchain.info/de/address/12HddUDLhRP2F8JjpKYeKaDxxt5wUvx5nq
https://blockchain.info/de/address/16Ls6azc76ixc9Ny7AB5ZPPq6oiEL9XwXy
https://blockchain.info/de/address/1MyGwFAJjVtB5rGJa32M6Yh46cGirUta1K

So the press would or politics would say: Yes, there are 5 individuals who own 200 000btc.

Now, there is not really a way to find out if the ower of this coins got changed, but they were all - up to today - controlled by one person. But now this coins all got split up into smaller portions. It is odd, that they did not use even numbers. If you follow the coins you get to addresses with 300 to 3000 coins.
Many of the coins stopped moving about 4 hours ago, some are still moving (I saw one with 6 confirmations).

So I would guess the 200 000 coins of this 5 addresses got - so far - split up into about 150 different addresses.

-> For the press this will be 150 individuals. So this is good for the image of Bitcoin?

"Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work - whereas economics represents how it actually does work." Freakonomics

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
el_Tico

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

"Fly you fools"

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:15:34 PM

It's more likely that he moved his btc to 5 different addresses. If this person sold, btc would have come out of one address over a period of time. Then the bitcoins he sold would be circulated to other individuals.

A 5 wallet split to diversify his holdings seems more likely.
cesmak
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 07:35:37 PM

And what about this spike on this morning !!!!  Angry Angry Angry some connection ?

http://coinsight.org/mtgox.html

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4270
Merit: 3159

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 08:32:27 PM

Without being able to correlate addresses to people, this information is useless. You don't know how many addresses are owned by the same people and how many people "own" bitcoins at the same address.

I believe that most of the bitcoins in the largest addresses are managed by exchanges and are "owned" by thousands of people. Those 47 so-called people are probably closer to 47,000 people.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
porcupine87 (OP)

hm

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 03:45:32 AM

Without being able to correlate addresses to people, this information is useless. You don't know how many addresses are owned by the same people and how many people "own" bitcoins at the same address.

I believe that most of the bitcoins in the largest addresses are managed by exchanges and are "owned" by thousands of people. Those 47 so-called people are probably closer to 47,000 people.

you might be aware of that but the public opinion is not. Like th referred article of businessinsider...

"Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work - whereas economics represents how it actually does work." Freakonomics
dmartig

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 04:26:36 AM

KARPELES
Ix

Activity: 218
Merit: 128

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 04:47:51 AM

KARPELES

Cheesy
porcupine87 (OP)

hm

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 02:33:09 PM

They still spliting up. Now down to 20btc per address.
https://blockchain.info/de/address/163fqH7nJcQ12XWo4u4pkfb5uor7nssp9d

I don't know why they don't just do this with one large transaction?

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3037

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 01:26:05 AM

What makes you think they are individuals? How do you know some or all of them aren't actually companies that own large quantities of bitcoin? How do you even know they own those bitcoins, and aren't merely holding them on behalf of their clients? You don't. Nobody does. Hence all analysis on these lines is bogus.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:52:09 AM

If 1000 people did really own 50%, then ~ how many of those thousand are dumb enough to slam the market with a huge dump?
People are too afraid of "whales", when the market does 'crash' it's usually the weaker hands all panicking at once.

Taras
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1053

Please do not PM me loan requests!

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 04:05:46 AM

Smiley
porcupine87 (OP)

hm

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 09:41:24 AM

What makes you think they are individuals? How do you know some or all of them aren't actually companies that own large quantities of bitcoin? How do you even know they own those bitcoins, and aren't merely holding them on behalf of their clients? You don't. Nobody does. Hence all analysis on these lines is bogus.

I don't. But many people do. Like the article I mentioned in the first post. Like this fellow here who seems to be respected in the community.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=316297.0

I know what I am talking about. My coins are split up between several addresses and I bought a few coins for my family (more than one individual) and for the sake of simplicity, they have their coins in one address.

rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 10:08:47 AM

don't. But many people do. Like the article I mentioned in the first post. Like this fellow here who seems to be respected in the community.

I apologize for the fact that the thread referenced above is cluttered by offtopic, and I have not and will not have time to clean it. So if you want to know what is the latest research about the topic, you will have to read it yourself, and skip the clutter. If you have any other thread in mind that deals with the same topic in any depth, please tell me.

Just today I finalized the statistical analysis of the MtGox leak, which confirmed many of the prior results, but will probably lead to reconsideration of previous total number of Bitcoin users (2.0 million) which will be revised downwards to closer the number of non-dust addresses.

And please, don't mix large addresses with large supposed holdings. They have so absolutely nothing to do with each other that it is not even funny.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
porcupine87 (OP)

hm

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 10:38:30 AM

don't. But many people do. Like the article I mentioned in the first post. Like this fellow here who seems to be respected in the community.

I apologize for the fact that the thread referenced above is cluttered by offtopic, and I have not and will not have time to clean it. So if you want to know what is the latest research about the topic, you will have to read it yourself, and skip the clutter. If you have any other thread in mind that deals with the same topic in any depth, please tell me.

Just today I finalized the statistical analysis of the MtGox leak, which confirmed many of the prior results, but will probably lead to reconsideration of previous total number of Bitcoin users (2.0 million) which will be revised downwards to closer the number of non-dust addresses.

And please, don't mix large addresses with large supposed holdings. They have so absolutely nothing to do with each other that it is not even funny.

You mean I have to read your whole thread to get your methods? You don't even name sources for your informations. And what has the data of Gox to do with anything?

rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 10:47:16 AM

You mean I have to read your whole thread to get your methods? You don't even name sources for your informations. And what has the data of Gox to do with anything?

Yes, reading the thread would help, but I today deleted 2 pages of stuff from it, trying to make it readable.

The method is not easy to use, or to explain, and we developed it as a community effort.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 12:32:05 AM

The data that was leaked from GOX had each user listed separately (it gave every user a unique number) so it was possible to trace and link addresses together as being owned by the same person. 
Skele

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

VocalPlatform.com

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 12:52:36 AM

Mmmm i personally don't believe those are common individual people, those can be companies, governments, or evil people groups... And

more and more Bitcoin will spread as well as the current money is distributed: some have a lot and they rule, others just have a lot, and the

remaining lot, just have...
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 12:56:15 AM

Weak hands causing a dump?

Doubt it.  The alternates are a micro scale of Bitcoin - all the dumpig is done by the early birds who bought in cheap and don't have the patience to withdraw at a realistic rate compared with volume.  Whales were dumping BTC back in 2010, fearing that the coin could end tomorrow so they should  get their funds out as quick as possible.

Reason Bitcoin is stagnating right now is partially investing euphoria rubbing off but also because the current wave of get-quick-rich millionaires are dumping for $Fiat.  The holders are a minority and they're taking the sacrifice of not indulging in their newfound wealth and also taking the risk they might have $0 at the end of the day.

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
Habeler876

Activity: 624

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 03:19:49 AM

It's more likely that he moved his btc to 5 different addresses. If this person sold, btc would have come out of one address over a period of time. Then the bitcoins he sold would be circulated to other individuals.

A 5 wallet split to diversify his holdings seems more likely.

This seems to be the most likely case. It seems like it was all done at once, as if someone were moving coins to different wallets for storage. But this is exactly why it's very misleading to try to link # of addresses with # of people. You really can't tell.

waldox

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2014, 07:33:07 PM

if bitcoin becomes the reserve currency
these 1000 people will become the new illuminati/bankers Smiley

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   * Dental Hygiene Cleaning in Toronto & Mississauga accepts Bitcoin  * Downtown Toronto Real Estate Realtor Blog & News * Toronto House Evaluation * Toronto Dental Cleaning Hygiene Centre
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: