Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:24:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Logistics of seed storage  (Read 608 times)
jonald_fyookball (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:30:19 AM

I'm sure this has been discussed before, if this is a repeat of an old thread I apologize, maybe someone can link to the old thread...

If I want to use a deterministic seed for my wallet (like electrum or brain wallet ) what are the most practical ways to backup the seed in case I forget it?  Write it on a paper and bury it in the backyard? Put it in a safety deposit box?  Also how do I give it to my family in case I die (but without them stealing it while I'm alive )

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4470

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 06:18:13 AM

I'm sure this has been discussed before, if this is a repeat of an old thread I apologize, maybe someone can link to the old thread...

If I want to use a deterministic seed for my wallet (like electrum or brain wallet ) what are the most practical ways to backup the seed in case I forget it?  Write it on a paper and bury it in the backyard? Put it in a safety deposit box?  Also how do I give it to my family in case I die (but without them stealing it while I'm alive )

if you dont trust your family while your alive, and dont think they deserve the funds. then dont give it to them.. even after death.

as for safe storage. dont just have one backup.
EG if you put it deep in your backyard. after a year you would forget the exact spot you left it. then the year after. you move. and the new home owners decide to build a pool in the garden.. and what should they find.....

now if that happened and the backyard was the only copy. you lost out. but having a second copy in a bank, you can easily move the funds out of the address when you realise you forgot where you buried it. emptying out the privkey and making that buried key useless/empty.

i suggest paper, etching it into a dogtag necklace, bank safety deposit box, as many ways to back up as possible. and if one is forgotten or compromised. you can then use the other copy to move it to a fresh address.

never keep one copy, even if its in a fire/theft proof black box buried under a landmark that you will never forget.

although i joke about the family trust part. one option is that if your family know and have access to only half the privkey and the other half is wrote in your Will. then your lawyer can't steal it alone. nor your family alone.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 07:44:41 AM

Paper copy is good, if you can keep it safe and secure, but I think twelve words can be hidden effectively in eg two separate emails (which are otherwise unrelated but contain a keyword that will help you find them -- tip: not "wallet" or "seed" Smiley) or a big Word doc, in multiple locations (PC, harddrive, cloud, etc). Use your imagination.

My family don't really know about Bitcoin so I was considering how I might have some form of encrypted instruction manual with my various keys and passwords to be released upon death. Still considering the logistics.
kellrobinson

Activity: 304
Merit: 380

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 11:08:54 AM

"twelve words can be hidden effectively in eg two separate emails"
Good idea to avoid the potential problems storing info in a physical location could lead to, like losing access.
You can lose access to an email too, so you gotta use at least two services.  You need redundancy in case something happens.  A company can lose data or go out of business.
I think I would feel funny storing my passphrase in plain text, even only half of it.  Of course, further precautions like encrypting it also leave open possibilities for losing access, for instance by forgetting your password.  Maybe use a mnemonic instead of encryption, if your mind works that way.  The best solution for one person might not be the best solution for somebody else. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: